Sign in to follow this  
MSU158

TOP10 Biggest Forum Names Over The Past 10 Years

We all have a coach, wrestler or both who, good or bad, stood out whenever we thought about College wrestling. In reading the forum over the past 10 years or so I was able to get a pretty good idea of who best polarized the forum.

The following list are, in my opinion, the people(mainly coaches or wrestlers) who were the most prominent topics on the forum.

10.)Marcus Levesseur-Shame on him. He had the audacity to change his mind about DI, ONLY wrestled DIII and deprived us of seeing if he truly deserved to have an undefeated College career.

9.)Dustin Schlatter-His ultra hyped matches with Metcalf in High School started the anticipation. His unbelievable true freshman performance cemented him on the front page of this forum for the rest of his career. Injuries and Metcalf eventually caused him to fall from grace. However, his true freshman performance was, and still is, one of the biggest topics to grace this forum.

8.)Ben Askren-The white guy afro, funk and bravado. He never had a problem telling it like he thought it was. His shtick may have got tired from time to time but he did his best to try to be the face of wrestling while he dominated his last 2 years.

7.)Johny Hendricks-The guy everyone loved to hate. The phantom pin. The phantom takedowns. Losing his last match after beating Mark Perry 167 times prior to losing. Mark Perry and Ryan Churella both get HM solely due to their involvement with the "Big Rig"!

6.)Steve Mocco-His hype started in High School and never really slowed through his College career. He was another Hendricks type figure. His leaving Iowa to transfer to OkState really incited some Hawkeye fervor. If it wasn't for King Cole surpassing him his Senior year, he may be higher on this list.

5.)Kyle Dake-Hard to believe there are 4 guys who were a bigger deal than the most recent 4X DI champ. He had/has a confidence that bordered on cocky. He wasn't flashy on the mat. He didn't redshirt. He won it all at 4 different weight classes. He lost, and still loses, every fantasy match up on this forum. We were very lucky to have him.

4.)Tom Brands-Virginia Tech, oops I meant Iowa Hawkeyes. Two teams in one. His head coaching career started with a BANG. You can never forget his references to wrestling space aliens to be the best. He soon thereafter didn't take his team to National Duals. Love him or hate him, this guy has thoroughly entertained this forum.

3.)David Taylor-The Unicorn. Bubba Jenkins. Ankle Picks. Tilts. Tech falls. Tech falls. More Tech falls. Pins. Kyle Dake. The only guy to really win EVERY match he didn't really lose. He is still winning matches he lost and will continue to do so.

2.)Brent Metcalf-What can I say. He talked in the 3rd person. No one has been, or ever will be, more upset winning than this guy. He had a hump on his back like a camel, except it stored Oxygen instead. He became the face of Iowa wrestling right when they went on their winning streak. He was a part of the Virginia Tech crew that gave up a year of eligibility to follow Brands. Darrion Caldwell did his part to make Metcalf an even bigger deal on this forum. Counting Hendricks,Mocco and Askren NOONE polarized the forum like Mr. Metcalf.

1.)Cael Sanderson-Between being the only 4x Undefeated DI Champ and now a 4X DI Champ as a coach he stands alone. Add in his bumping Douglas off and then leaving for PSU. Add in the Jenkins fiasco. Add in the Long fiasco. Add in the Ruth fiasco. Add in the National Duals argument. Add in his coming back to win a WTT and just fall short of a medal.

He has done his best to give us a perfect mix of amazing and things we can find to bring him down a peg or 2. Thank you Mr. Sanderson for giving us ample things to discuss.

The following deserve Honorable Mention for their direct involvement in helping the above reach their positions.

Darrion Caldwell, Ryan Churella, Mark Perry and Bubba Jenkins.

The following deserves a special Honorable Mention:

Alex Tsirtsis-He was never able to produce comparable to the hype. This definitely made him a hot topic.

LOL @ MSU with so so many words to camo a rip at Penn State. It is all in your silly little head, MSU. :lol:

read like a tongue and cheek review of all the big names and programs to me. no one was singled out.

stop trying to make it always about PSU and you won't encounter so much anti PSU comments.

No Nickerson invalidates the list. Big used to post 7-8 topics a day just on Nickerdoodles.

I was sure I would miss someone. I really don't remember that many Nickerson topics taking up the forum. That isn't to say they didn't. I am open to suggestions to where you would position him.

Oh God Yes Nickerson has to be on here. BIG posted about him so much that he managed to turn the entire forum community against Nickerson pretty much. It's not that any of us hated Nickerson because Nickerson was awesome but we all began to root against him pretty much just to throw it in BIG's face because he was clung so tight to his jock. Nickerson didn't give us many opportunities to rub it in his face before the mod's carted him off to another forum. lol

I gotta say Mocco is #1. Back in the day, his first few years of college, literally every third topic was about him. Mocco vs. McCoy was perhaps the most anticipated match in forum history.

Also, Nick Simmons probably should be on this list, due to the controversial surrounding his choke out techniques.

I gotta say Mocco is #1. Back in the day, his first few years of college, literally every third topic was about him. Mocco vs. McCoy was perhaps the most anticipated match in forum history.

Also, Nick Simmons probably should be on this list, due to the controversial surrounding his choke out techniques.

I agree that there was a stretch where Mocco dominated the boards like no other. I, however, made my list based more on longevity. Mocco's forum power went down as his career continued. You can only talk about a foot sweep so much :D

Sanderson is number 1 for his staying power. He transitioned perfectly from College to International to Coaching. He has given us a range of topics to choose from for so many years that no one can compare.

I was always a big Simmons fan. I am just not sure where he would fit into my list.