Sign in to follow this  
OhioSpladle

Best High School Wrestlers from 2000 to now?

It all depends on the definition of "best". Is it most accomplished or just a subjective determination?

I would put Kyle Snyder on there for the former, as well as Bo Jordan for the latter. I still think that Jordan is better than Marstellar, but that is definitely an Ohio/Ohio State biased opinion. Snyder is one of few wrestlers that have a Junior World Gold while still in high school.

Just my thoughts.

Schlatter and Metcalf belong at the very top. Not only where they far above anyone other than each other in High School, they were both National Championship contenders right out of High School. Obviously the Virginia Tech thing made us wait on Metcalf, but we got to see possibly the best ever True Freshman season from Schlatter.

What Marstellar has done is almost unparalleled. I would like to add Snyder but, he had Cox make him look human.

The Tsirtsis brothers and the Simmons brothers deserve an Honorable Mention.

I would say that Weiroch made Chance look human as well, considering that the only reason Marsteller won was the coin flip. BoJo then teched Weiroch this year. Just saying.

Also, Cox did win a national title as a true frosh, maybe splitting matches with him isn't a bad thing.

How did Marsteller do at junior worlds?

I would say that Weiroch made Chance look human as well, considering that the only reason Marsteller won was the coin flip. BoJo then teched Weiroch this year. Just saying.

Also, Cox did win a national title as a true frosh, maybe splitting matches with him isn't a bad thing.

How did Marsteller do at junior worlds?

Wasn't Marstellar up a weight for that match? That was also his first tough match after a long hiatus due to injury. He still won. Also, who has he lost to domestically that was in High School when they wrestled? How long ago was that?

Also, remember this is a best in High School topic. If Jordan and Marstellar wrestled NOW, if forced to bet, I would bet on Jordan. I just don't see how you can argue against Marstellar in High School. His credentials are truly unparalleled. The thing that sucks is it looks like they may not even be the same weights in College. If Marstellar stays at 174 for his career I could see Jordan having a better career. I was really hoping for years of battles between these 2.

Also, remember this is a best in High School topic. If Jordan and Marstellar wrestled NOW, if forced to bet, I would bet on Jordan. I just don't see how you can argue against Marstellar in High School. His credentials are truly unparalleled. The thing that sucks is it looks like they may not even be the same weights in College. If Marstellar stays at 174 for his career I could see Jordan having a better career. I was really hoping for years of battles between these 2.

I don't think there's any way Bo stays 165 for four more years. He is already huge for 165 and still only 19. I think we'll see them lock horns at 174 after this season.

I don't think there's any way Bo stays 165 for four more years. He is already huge for 165 and still only 19. I think we'll see them lock horns at 174 after this season.

Pretty sure he is going to be 21 in a couple months.

Ohio-

David Taylor...you know him.

Jamie Clark (beat DT) 3x state champ

Palmer brothers 4x state champs Lance Palmer 4x AA

Bo Jordan 4x state champ

Dr. Kyle Ott 3x state champ NCAA runner up

Justin "Harry" Lester 4x state champ

Schlatter brothers...

Ohio-

Bo Jordan 4x state champ

Ohio-

Bo Jordan 4x state champ

Schlatter brothers...

David Taylor, Dustin Schlatter and Harry Lester are no-brainers. Ott makes my list because (before the knee issues really started to take their toll), he was truly amazing and dominating even on the National stage...maybe the fast human being I've ever seen on a wrestling mat. As great as the Palmers and Jamie Clark were, they are second teir on a list like this. The palmers always seemed to fall short of expectation at touraments like Ironman and lacked marquis wins. Clark did beat Taylor once, but he was never dominant even at the state level. Now that might have something to do with the embarassment of riches Ohio had at the lightweights during his era (Taylor, Stieber, Sammy White, Ben Sergent and others).

Bo Jordan just passes the eyeball test. He only had three big wins in his career and never wrestler summer, but his skill level and physical gifts are undeniable.

One name that might need to be considered is Tomasello. 4 titles, big wins at Ironman, Junior National titles. The resume is pretty impressive.

Not sure he can be in this list since he graduated in 2000 but Jesse Jantzen was a straight up murderer in high school. Didn't lose after 8th grade. Absolutely destroyed everyone at states his last two years and then promptly destroyed everyone at Senior Nationals. Having seen Nickerson and Jantzen both at their peaks in high school, I give Jantzen the slight edge for more dominant.

Nickerson made it look ridiculously easy at the hs level. Way better than jantzen.

I could see someone saying Nickerson was the better guy but I definitely would not say way better. Senior year, Nickerson had a tight match here and there whereas Jantzen just destroyed everyone. Ruled Long Island during a time period where the talent out there was pretty high, but never had a close match. Man among boys that year, including at Senior Nationals where he put up possibly the most dominant performance that tournament has seen.

Fargo is a different story entirely and that is where Nickerson really outshined everyone. But folk style, Jantzen was just brutally dominant.

Ohio-

Bo Jordan 4x state champ

Schlatter brothers...

How can you have a list this long and not even mention Logan Stieber?

And I hate to be that guy, but just talking hs, Chris Phillips is on my list. Despite seemingly losing all interest in the sport he was never challenged. His lone loss was as a Soph. to a Sr. Ed Ruth.