Sign in to follow this  
OhioSpladle

Best High School Wrestlers from 2000 to now?

Once again Eric Guerrero is overlooked when it comes to best high school wrestlers.

3x CA state champion. Probably the toughest state to win a state championship, unlike some other poverty states with 10 different divisions with 10 different "state" champions per weight. He was virtually unchallenged his last 3 years in HS.

High School National Champ (the real national high school championship tournament, not those smaller "national" tournaments). Proving he was not only the best in CA but in the entire nation.

3x NCAA champion. Backing it all up x3 that he was the best folkstyle wrestler in HS and college.

How many other wrestlers from states like CA that only have 1 wrestling division have won their state 3x, won the HS national championship, and then won 3 NCAA titles?

Teyon Ware deserves mention, undefeated in hs, was just never the same wrestler after his injury following his freshman year at OU.

Ware won NCAA Division I wrestling titles at 141 pounds in 2003 and 2005.[1] Ware is a 4-time All-American, former Big 12 Conference champion, and U.S. world team member that competed at the 2011 World Wrestling Championships.

Are you sure you are not thinking of Matt Grice? At Harrah High school, Grice was a 4-time Oklahoma State Wrestling Champion, winning Outstanding Wrestler 3 times, a feat which has never been accomplished by any other competitor. After his senior season, Grice was the most highly recruited wrestler in the nation at his weight. He chose the University of Oklahoma to attend college. The 2000-2001 season Grice was redshirted after suffering an elbow injury that required surgery, keeping him out of action for the season. Grice again was redshirted in the 2001-2002 season after an auto accident.

How can you have a list this long and not even mention Logan Stieber?

Stupidity that I forgot them.... The fab-4 prob' should all make the list for Ohio's best from 2000s.

Ott makes my list because (before the knee issues really started to take their toll), he was truly amazing and dominating even on the National stage...maybe the fast human being I've ever seen on a wrestling mat. .

No doubt about it. If we go back to the 90's I'd put Tim Dernlan right behind Kyle for quickness.

Nickerson made it look ridiculously easy at the hs level. Way better than jantzen.

I could see it if you said Nickerson was better, but 'way' better? No way. Saw both of them quite a bit throughout their hs years and Jantzen senior year was as brutal as they come. Teched/pinned his way through the state tournament and then pretty much did the same thing at senior nationals. Might be the most dominant performance ever for that event.

Nickerson made it look ridiculously easy at the hs level. Way better than jantzen.

I could see it if you said Nickerson was better, but 'way' better? No way. Saw both of them quite a bit throughout their hs years and Jantzen senior year was as brutal as they come. Teched/pinned his way through the state tournament and then pretty much did the same thing at senior nationals. Might be the most dominant performance ever for that event.

Not sure he can be in this list since he graduated in 2000 but Jesse Jantzen was a straight up murderer in high school. Didn't lose after 8th grade. Absolutely destroyed everyone at states his last two years and then promptly destroyed everyone at Senior Nationals. Having seen Nickerson and Jantzen both at their peaks in high school, I give Jantzen the slight edge for more dominant.

The thing people forget is that Jantzen competed nationally after his Junior year and finished 3rd. He went into his senior season ranked behind Mike Pirazzola ...then went on to have an all time great senior season. But bottomline is he wasn't even the top wrestler in his weight class except for his senior season. Nickerson on the other hand completely dominated everyone in the country from the summer after his sophomore year until he graduated....except for the one close match at Senior Nationals. The difference is Nickerson dominated Fargo like Jantzen dominated Senior Nationals and Nickerson never lost from sophomore summer until freshman year of college.....while Jantzen lost while competing nationally after his junior season.

Teyon Ware deserves mention, undefeated in hs, was just never the same wrestler after his injury following his freshman year at OU.

Ware won NCAA Division I wrestling titles at 141 pounds in 2003 and 2005.[1] Ware is a 4-time All-American, former Big 12 Conference champion, and U.S. world team member that competed at the 2011 World Wrestling Championships.

Are you sure you are not thinking of Matt Grice? At Harrah High school, Grice was a 4-time Oklahoma State Wrestling Champion, winning Outstanding Wrestler 3 times, a feat which has never been accomplished by any other competitor. After his senior season, Grice was the most highly recruited wrestler in the nation at his weight. He chose the University of Oklahoma to attend college. The 2000-2001 season Grice was redshirted after suffering an elbow injury that required surgery, keeping him out of action for the season. Grice again was redshirted in the 2001-2002 season after an auto accident.

Grice had a motorcycle accident during the summer after his senior year of HS, great wrestler that could also be included in this list....pretty good baseball player too.

Teyon injured his neck after he won a title as a freshman. Probably should have been redshirted as a sophmore, falling to a sixth place finish that year. Always seemed tentative after that and didn't let his offense flow like he did before the injury.