Sign in to follow this  
olddirty

Would you send your kid to this or is it way over the top?

This is my real camp brochure for next year. I am testing out the waters because to be honest, I have never seen a camp marketed like this, and I am not sure how parents and coaches would react. The camp would be for ages 11-18 and will take place in SoCal. Would you send your kids to this or does it need to be scaled way because it would blow up in my face?

mcpt8i.jpg

Full size - http://i60.tinypic.com/2hdsgte.jpg

Camp pays for itself*

I'd definitely say to make sure that parents know that its serious; at first, if I was a parent, I wouldn't take it seriously. I'm sure that if your coaching style is like how the brochure is, then the kids will love you and have a ton of fun, which is a huge components of camps.

This is a joke right?

No, it is serious. I am just not sure if parents would see it as a brochure with a little bit of humor, write it off as completely fake, or take it completely serious and turn the other direction. My hope is that it would attract a certain type of wrestler, then they would sell the camp to their parents.

I am throwing it out there because I have worked camps my whole career but never actually had to promote one by myself. I dont have kids so I am a bit clueless when it comes to the parenting aspect. Also, Im a little bit more enthusiastic about wrestling than most people so I understand that probably skews how I base my outlook.

I think it's great. It stands out, makes you remembered which is the key to marketing, the gurus will tell you. Some will hate it, but better to make a good impression on some and a bad on some, than no impression at all on everyone.

Enjoyed the line about your opponent needing a new singlet, lol.

This is a joke right?

No, it is serious. I am just not sure if parents would see it as a brochure with a little bit of humor, write it off as completely fake, or take it completely serious and turn the other direction. My hope is that it would attract a certain type of wrestler, then they would sell the camp to their parents.

I am throwing it out there because I have worked camps my whole career but never actually had to promote one by myself. I dont have kids so I am a bit clueless when it comes to the parenting aspect. Also, Im a little bit more enthusiastic about wrestling than most people so I understand that probably skews how I base my outlook.

I don't have kids, but if i did, the main thing i would want to know is who I am entrusting their care to for the day/week. What are your qualifications/who are the technicians/counselors. Where is it? When is it? How long is the camp? What is the price? A poster like this would be good as maybe a panel on the website,or in video form where the tone can make the humor obvious (think powerthirst), but not as the main brochure.

Also, it's not entirely clear whether you are joking and want this to be fun, or something very intense (e.g. JROB). Keep in mind that most of the parents won't get your jokes/references. It's very funny to us wrestling fanatics, but the average wrestling parents just wants to send their kids to a good camp, where they will have fun, and become better wrestlers.

I like it, think parents would like it but BillyHoyle is right that you need to find room for whose running it, how long, how much, intensity level, etc.

Billy Ho (yes it is one of my favorite movies) and this kind of info is what I am looking for.

Since I wouldnt be running this camp until 2014/2015, I dont have any thing locked down as far as date, location, price, counselors, etc. All of that info would go on the back side of the brochure.

My main reason for posting was the tone of the brochure, not the particulars. Like Billy Ho said, he was unsure of the clarity and took it as a goof, which I am 100% serious about the camp, but the brochure has a farcicle tone which I am not sure how to get parents and coaches to make a distinction between the reality of the camp and the tone of the brochure.

The PowerThirst reference is the exact tone I was going for with the brochure, but like I said, I understand my relationship to wrestling is quite different from most people, which is why I am soliciting advice from more moderate people in the wrestling world.

As a father of five, and having read your sarcasm over and over and over again on these boards for the last I don't know how many years, I saw where you were going with this and it made me laugh. This was very well done.

That said, also knowing your background as a competitor and coach, thanks to these boards, I'd sign up my boys for this without hesitating. However, I'm not flying to California from Illinois for it.

Good luck!

People who don't know you will hesitate to send their son to your camp. Regular main stream parents what their kid to be safe, be accepted at the camp by the other campers, learn some useful technique, and have fun.

I have run many camps before and I will tell you, this is what sells

I appreciate your contributions to this forum, so I thought I would chime in. I definitely understood the "tone" of the brochure as I kept reading, but at first I wasn't so sure it wasn't some inside joke. I can't put my finger on a certain part, but it just felt a little over-the-top to me, and I'm fairly sarcastic by nature.

Holt,

I am totally sending Jared to this. Heck, I'll even volunteer. I completely enjoy the sessions you do at Utters Camp, so that's the real reason. But the flier is great.

~Rob Henry, Dayton Wrestling

The Utters camp is where I came up with this idea. I look at how I run my sessions, and how others run theirs, and then the kid's response to each. This is the reason why I never have any problems finding work at summer camps.

For those with an opinion on camp structure - My plan is to cap the camp at 40, thats it. I will not be going after wrestlers who are just kind of in to it for fun or their parents can send them in for some cheap babysitting. I would keep the numbers low and then hope to build the camp into something that is very unique, and that would attract a premium eventually, and weed me out of having to deal with whiney parents and kids because the camp would not attract those individuals. It is not an intensive camp per se where there is a ton of needless conditioniong; more of a camp that a senior level athlete would go to for training. Do you think this would work at all or are wrestlers just too cheap?

I thought the brochure was hilarious. If it doesn't end up being the tone of your actual brochure, maybe some of the content could end up as a section on your website.

I'm not a dad so I don't have a parent's sensibility, but I could see my parents having second thoughts about it. Not that my dad wouldn't find it funny, but they would probably think the camp wasn't serious enough... maybe too goofy. And while wrestling was my dad's area, I think this humor appears more to guys and not all moms... and you don't want to alienate the moms. I don't know about most families, just mine, for what it's worth.

My two cents is that there is a more serious tone for the printed brochure. And then, to get the attention of the kids, you do a social media campaign (Facebook, Instagram, Vine, or whatever they're doing by next year) where you can be a bit more edgy, fun, etc. That will encourage them to get excited about it and share with their friends. Trying this stuff out digitally the first year means that you can test things out, see how many people are sharing your posts, adjust your tone if it's not working...

Then, in your second year, you can see what worked and incorporate some of it into your 2nd brochure.