Sign in to follow this  
TripNSweep

Zeke Jones vs Steve Martin

Nice match by Jones. Tough on top.

They met several more times in college--Martin beat Zeke 6-3 in 88 Midlands finals (Zeke beat Terry Brands in semis), and I recall Martin beating Zeke in a dual in 89? by a point or two. Zeke beat Martin in second round of 89 NCAAs, 5-3 (Martin was #8 seed, Zeke #9). Of course, this is the match Zeke chose to post on YouTube :)

Zeke had the better NCAA career: DNP-6-4-2 vs. Martin's DNP-7-DNP. And Zeke obviously had a better FS career.

This match may very well be the PERFECT example of how you can break an opponent from the top position. I know I am part of a shrinking minority but mat wrestling is my favorite part of Folkstyle. It is what makes it unique from other styles. It is the only position where you can truly control your opponent and dominate like no other.

To most that post on here the end of the 1st period and the 1st half of the 2nd period would be considered boring. They would complain that it was not entertaining and it was killing the sport. However, that simple two on 1 wrist ride along with throwing a leg in a few times BROKE Martin. By the 3rd period Martin was dead and Jones was able to put on a show.

As evidenced by their other matches both wrestlers were actually very evenly matched. Jones may have come out with more fire and probably would have won any way. However, his wrestling from the top position blew this match wide open.

I guess my point is, I am all for trying to make our sport entertaining, but I simply don't want the changes to affect what fundamentally separates Folkstyle from it's peers. We have already added the option for the wrestler to avoid the mat by choosing neutral(it has been a while but you used to have to choose either top or bottom). Feel free to add rules to create more action, but do so without changing the actual positions.

Since we was born around the time this match was recorded, I have a few questions about it.

I heard the commentators say something about how you needed a 2 count instead of just 1, and that the rules had been changed that year.

Did you only need a 1 count for NF in the 70's and 80's?

There was no count at all until the seventies. It was based on proximity to a pin.

I don't recall Martin ever wrestling at US Open FS...or Sunkist.

I thought he made a run at an Olympic or World team once. I think I read it somewhere he had at least gotten to the trials but didn't make the team and after that he decided to go into coaching.

Since we was born around the time this match was recorded, I have a few questions about it.

I heard the commentators say something about how you needed a 2 count instead of just 1, and that the rules had been changed that year.

Did you only need a 1 count for NF in the 70's and 80's?

There was no count at all until the seventies. It was based on proximity to a pin.

In the 70's the definition was held/paused in NF criteria. It evolved to be 2NF for a cheap tilt that rolled into and immediately back out, unless it was a 360 continuous roll through. Justification being that there had to be a momentary pause in order to change direction, even though there was no threat and very little control (hence the term "cheap" tilt).

As you say, prior to count I saw 3NF for a headlock to very, very close to a fall that was able to be bridged/rolled out of within 2 secs, and 2 pt predicament for a 10+ sec back exposure that the offense never was able to completely tighten down (i.e. under those rules defense's best strategy was to defeat the hold even though exposed. Time didn't matter as much as the tightness/threat of the offense's attempted pinning hold).