Sign in to follow this  
silver-medal

Alex Dieringer

I'm amazed at how often he's overlooked in discussions concerning next year. He's got three career losses, a 3rd and 1st at NCAA's and he kicked the holy heck out of a red hot Dylan Ness in the finals. I'm a huge BoJo fan but no way can he be considered close to Dieringer at this point. Same for anyone else at 165.

I'm actually not surprised to see him in some of these post season freestyle outings...He did take a silver @ the worlds...Wondering if he's just off season transitioning to 165?

He's quietly amassing quite a record. 165 should be a challenge, but his continued growth and improvement has been impressive so far, so I'm thinking he might be a qualifier, eh Jason, hahahaha.

AD vs Ness is reminiscent of Pendleton/Askren...just seems to "usually" shut down the funk, but Ben felt even more dangerous to me...although some appreciate Ness's funk even more.

He's quietly amassing quite a record. 165 should be a challenge, but his continued growth and improvement has been impressive so far, so I'm thinking he might be a qualifier, eh Jason, hahahaha.

AD vs Ness is reminiscent of Pendleton/Askren...just seems to "usually" shut down the funk, but Ben felt even more dangerous to me...although some appreciate Ness's funk even more.

Oh, he'll be a qualifier (barring an injury). He'll just have to go through the at-large procedure, as the Big 12, as a whole, will be getting a whopping total of zero automatic bids going forward.

I'm amazed at how often he's overlooked in discussions concerning next year. He's got three career losses, a 3rd and 1st at NCAA's and he kicked the holy heck out of a red hot Dylan Ness in the finals. I'm a huge BoJo fan but no way can he be considered close to Dieringer at this point. Same for anyone else at 165.

Agree on all points. Wouldn't be surprised if widens the gap between himself and the rest this year.

is he definitely going 165? too bad he never wrestled Green (I doubt he wins that one)

Just curious, which NCAA tournament they competed in makes you doubt Dieringer wins?

He's the champ but it doesnt mean hed beat green. Green was pinned by a guy he beat decisively at the national duals. Dieringer has a bunch of losses to DSJ, who Green beats up on.

We'll never know. Dieringer seems like a strong guy, but no one has been able to stop greens takedowns

is he definitely going 165? too bad he never wrestled Green (I doubt he wins that one)

Just curious, which NCAA tournament they competed in makes you doubt Dieringer wins?

He's the champ but it doesnt mean hed beat green. Green was pinned by a guy he beat decisively at the national duals. Dieringer has a bunch of losses to DSJ, who Green beats up on.

We'll never know. Dieringer seems like a strong guy, but no one has been able to stop greens takedowns

What terrible logic. Since Green loses before getting a chance to face him every year at NCAAs "we'll never know."

I bet there's about half a dozen 157 pounders who went 0-2 or 1-2 at NCAAs this year that Green has never wrestled. Do you apply the same logic? That "we will never know" if Green could beat those guys? That you "doubt" Green would beat them?

It's a question of style over substance. Kid just wins. Nothin' flashy. You almost don't notice it. But he's the real deal.

What terrible logic. Since Green loses before getting a chance to face him every year at NCAAs "we'll never know."

I bet there's about half a dozen 157 pounders who went 0-2 or 1-2 at NCAAs this year that Green has never wrestled. Do you apply the same logic? That "we will never know" if Green could beat those guys? That you "doubt" Green would beat them?

We're talking about the 1 seed here, do we really need to wonder how he'd do against unseeded guys who went 0-2?

He beat the defending champ this year and both guys who beat him, he destroyed everyone in the ncaas except for ness (wbo he destroyed at the national duals)

I'd love to see him against AD, I dont know who would win.

On a more serious note, the Green vs Ness II match was one of the biggest turnarounds I remember of last season. I'd love to see video of Minnesota and Nebraska coaches preparing their wrestler for that match. Ness seemed to "double down" in the second match knowing he'd have little chance of winning a more conservative match. Was the wide open style coached or did they tell Dylan to let it fly?

40 years ago a stud like Ringer comes through and he's a shoe in to continue to dominate. These days, not only must a great wrestler like Alex continue to improve, but he must also adjust to new tactical challenges manifested by the availability of video for practically all of the matches of highly ranked wrestlers. It just seems like a strange period in college wrestling, where most of the champs keep getting figured out, and freshmen just keep coming in and being totally DI ready.