Sign in to follow this  
Illifornia

Athlete health is of no concern

College Wrestling already wrestles an idiotic amount of matches with a stupid amount of weigh ins. Most guys can not make it through the whole thing and have to pick their rest spots during the season. Now though, wrestlers will have to wrestle injured at the National Dual component in order for their teams to compete for the National Title. This will do two things:

1. Put the athlete at greater risk for injury and problems down the line.

2. Put the banged up athlete at a considerable disadvantage in accomplishing their individual goals of becoming National Champions/All-Americans.

Valid points. I recommend we stop the whole season and just have an end of the year tournament where everybody qualifies. No more practices either! Can you believe more people get hurt during those things than competition? Cutting weight is another issue as well, lets do away with weight classes and just have scratch weights, then at nationals we can group brackets by the 33 guys that are closest to weight. I mean we wouldn't want anybody to get hurt.

If athletes are over wrestled it is their own coaches fault. They only need 12 Division-I matches and the new proposal will only require the same amount of duals.

I agree that 40-50 matches in a season is WAY too many but that is the fault of the coaches not of the NCAA Committee. Too many tournaments are wrestled.

they should also stop wrestling the big 10 tournament then, and have everyone qualify the new Big 12 method.

i think under the proposed system, schools will average 2 matches over the two week tournament. but individual wrestlers will have less as they will be able to sit out matches out in lopsided bouts in the early rounds.

i am also concerned about the student athlete's health, however i dont think 2 matches in two weeks as putting extra strain on their health. but i am also happy to hear from those closer than me to the actual wrestlers.

i am also curious as how the concern is weighed against the complaint that teams not selected to the tournament will have an unmanageable hole in their schedules. i can see saying the extra matches are too much and everyone should be resting 2 weeks prior to the end of the season, or i can see saying everyone should be wrestling and those that aren't are at a disadvantage, but surely it can't be both?

they should also stop wrestling the big 10 tournament then, and have everyone qualify the new Big 12 method.

i think under the proposed system, schools will average 2 matches over the two week tournament. but individual wrestlers will have less as they will be able to sit out matches out in lopsided bouts in the early rounds.

i am also concerned about the student athlete's health, however i dont think 2 matches in two weeks as putting extra strain on their health. but i am also happy to hear from those closer than me to the actual wrestlers.

i am also curious as how the concern is weighed against the complaint that teams not selected to the tournament will have an unmanageable hole in their schedules. i can see saying the extra matches are too much and everyone should be resting 2 weeks prior to the end of the season, or i can see saying everyone should be wrestling and those that aren't are at a disadvantage, but surely it can't be both?

What don't you get about NCAA wrestling being ruined. 100 years of tradition, thrown out the window. I'm throwing up just thinking of having to watch the best teams in the country wrestle a dual meet that has importance.

What don't you get about NCAA wrestling being ruined. 100 years of tradition, thrown out the window. I'm throwing up just thinking of having to watch the best teams in the country wrestle a dual meet that has importance.

You're actually going to watch those matches?!?! I will refrain from viewing because it is an abomination to the sport of wrestling!

a frightening, bone chilling prospect, i admit. but i have faith the sport will preserver.

a frightening, bone chilling prospect, i admit. but i have faith the sport will preserver.

Are you saying the sport will turn into a life jacket? preserver? Did you mean persevere? Did the evil and dreaded Auto-correct bot incorrectly change your word?

Are you saying the sport will turn into a life jacket? preserver? Did you mean persevere? Did the evil and dreaded Auto-correct bot incorrectly change your word?

oof, yeah wish i could blame that one on autocorrect but i just typed it in and hit submit.

Why did we ever get rid of slavery in the 1860's then? What about Jim Crow in the 1960's? Heck, let's go back to the era where we had to take a ship to go to and from Europe, that only worked well for nearly 500 years!

These "fans" care nothing about your well-being. Just that they are entertained.

You all but stop mattering once you're no longer competing for them.

This sport is littered with the forgotten and discarded state, NCAA, world, and olympic champions of the past.

Why did we ever get rid of slavery in the 1860's then? What about Jim Crow in the 1960's? Heck, let's go back to the era where we had to take a ship to go to and from Europe, that only worked well for nearly 500 years!

No doubt, someone in a board room in Detroit once made a very similar argument in support of the Edsel. Change is neither inherently good nor inherently bad. If that's the best argument you have for this Rube Goldberg abomination, you don't have much of an argument.

The best teams in the country wrestling meaningful dual meets would be tremendous. Awkwardly attaching the results of those dual meets to the premier event in college wrestling is folly.

That's not the best argument I have, it's the best counterargument to that specific argument that I have, however.

For what it's worth, I just tweeted my opposition to this particular setup. (Cael, Cody, please don't keel over from the shock!) I think there's a good way to run the dual event, in a way that grows the sport (the home-away model). This just rearranges the deck chairs, in a way that is harmful to the student-athletes, in my opinion.

If athletes are over wrestled it is their own coaches fault. They only need 12 Division-I matches and the new proposal will only require the same amount of duals.

I agree that 40-50 matches in a season is WAY too many but that is the fault of the coaches not of the NCAA Committee. Too many tournaments are wrestled.

The coaches are getting paid. They keep their job mainly based on conference finishes. This is the problem that Illifornia is getting at. You have those who have monetary gain deciding the futures of the wrestlers. Athlete health isnt a huge concern when you need to get the most amount of wins to get a raise next year.

The best teams in the country wrestling meaningful dual meets would be tremendous. Awkwardly attaching the results of those dual meets to the premier event in college wrestling is folly.

its not the most elegant solution i agree. are there other options for getting the best teams to wrestle meaningful duals?

The coaches are getting paid. They keep their job mainly based on conference finishes. This is the problem that Illifornia is getting at. You have those who have monetary gain deciding the futures of the wrestlers. Athlete health isnt a huge concern when you need to get the most amount of wins to get a raise next year.

definitely a genuine concern. varsity blues syndrome. but if the other option is irrelevancy as a sport im not sure what the answer is. besides pro circuit for the wrestlers to go to. and i dont think we'll ever get to the latter without the former, tho.

These "fans" care nothing about your well-being. Just that they are entertained.

You all but stop mattering once you're no longer competing for them.

This sport is littered with the forgotten and discarded state, NCAA, world, and olympic champions of the past.

and 4th placers at JV tournament wrestlers.

Don't forget to forget them!

definitely a genuine concern. varsity blues syndrome. but if the other option is irrelevancy as a sport im not sure what the answer is. besides pro circuit for the wrestlers to go to. and i dont think we'll ever get to the latter without the former, tho.

I think the point is that irrelevancy is more likely to come for a sport that starts gimmicking up its only successful event to force people to care about a different event that couldn't survive on its own.

I think the point is that irrelevancy is more likely to come for a sport that starts gimmicking up its only successful event to force people to care about a different event that couldn't survive on its own.

hah, ok well sucks you won't be able to enjoy the gimmicking. im still looking forward to it, no one even has to force me to watch it!

hah, ok well sucks you won't be able to enjoy the gimmicking. im still looking forward to it, no one even has to force me to watch it!

I will enjoy college wrestling no matter what bone headed changes they make.

Unfortunately judging from the success of the dual meet tournament on its own I can't say too much for the credibility of our new "national champion" team.

I will enjoy college wrestling no matter what bone headed changes they make.

Unfortunately judging from the success of the dual meet tournament on its own I can't say too much for the credibility of our new "national champion" team.

cool well looks like you'll have a fun season of college wrestling and complaining to look forward to!

Unfortunately, I feel like this proposal continues to undercut itself with a regional setup. Given a home-and-away structure, a dual setup is, at worst, something that will cost the NCAA some money in the short term, but be a viable investment in the long-term, which will bring in the casual fan. This, on the other hand, does not do even that, merely changes the way in which we award an NCAA Championship. Therefore, I oppose.

That being said, I don't feel like it takes away from the NCAA Individual-Component Championships one iota. Air Force head coach Sam Barber may not be able to say his team is in first place Thursday morning before the tournament starts, but otherwise, I don't think the way the on-the-mat product is going to be changed one iota (something that couldn't have been said about the 2012 proposal). I just feel like the added weigh-ins, travel, and competition puts too much added pressure on the student-athlete, overriding what I feel is a fairer way to crown a national championship.