Sign in to follow this  
Big10fan

Penn State bound Thomas Haines

talented but untested. The Super 32 is a pretty clear indication of where he is. 197 or HWT?

He wn PA at 215 in AAA as a freshmen, heaviest kid ever to win a title as a freshmen. Won Super 32 at 215 as a soph. Kinda hard to say he is untested isn't it? A loss to Kyle Snyder is nothing to be ashamed of, Snyder is incredible. Haines n Snyder are two of the most impressive big guys in a while, they have both had a ton of success as underclassmen in weights typically dominated by upperclassmen

talented but untested. The Super 32 is a pretty clear indication of where he is. 197 or HWT?

He wn PA at 215 in AAA as a freshmen, heaviest kid ever to win a title as a freshmen. Won Super 32 at 215 as a soph. Kinda hard to say he is untested isn't it? A loss to Kyle Snyder is nothing to be ashamed of, Snyder is incredible. Haines n Snyder are two of the most impressive big guys in a while, they have both had a ton of success as underclassmen in weights typically dominated by upperclassmen

who is the best kid he has ever beaten?

who is the best kid he has ever beaten?

Touché, there are no good kids in PA AAA or at Super 32, he has coasted thru cream puffs his whole career

as much as GB is trolling i am also in the camp that his wrestling has a long way to go to catch up to his accomplishments. wrestling 285 will be a good move for him and it fits perfectly with gingerich/lawson's departure. it may take him a little to put it together once at psu.

and brock, I also agree he will need to polish his skillset for college. Good thing he has two more years of high school to work on that and then time in the PSU room with great coaches and workout partners.

I'll just be honest I'm not looking his results up. I follow high school fairly well. Pretty knowledgable when it comes to good kids. Like if you ask me who Retherford has beat I'd have an answer for you and not a smart ass remark. Can anyone tell me who the best kid he has beat is? Please? I haven't talked any trash on the kid. Just want an honest answer from someone who likes wrestling and enjoys talking wrestling. Smart ass "look it up yourself" remarks lead me to believe he hasn't beat anyone that good. I prefer not to assume. Someone please fill me in.

that's sort of the question about Haines: the competition he's faced.

while he hasn't hit a ton of big 'names', he's beaten everyone outside of Kyle Snyder.

as a freshman, he won a state bracket filled with returning placers. in quarters he beat Matt Idelson (now at columbia) 13-3. Idelson was a Beast of the East Champ n 2009, and in the Beast finals in 2010 (three months before Haines beat him) Snyder beat Idelson 3-0.

Haines also beat Oregon 4xer, Brandon Griffin (now at Lehigh) at NHSCA Duals. i think he had a couple other good wins there as well.

so while he hasn't had a large volume of premier bouts, he has beaten some good ones.

what's really not in question is his athleticism. imo, he has the highest of ceilings in the right college room, and penn state isn't too shabby.

i'm really looking forward to 2016 when psu runs out 184-McIntosh 197-Snyder HWT-Haines ;)

Thanks Husker; excellent, objective post. Hard to believe it was necessary for a guy like Haines but I guess some people are more interested in pissing on PSU fans then following wrestling. Kind of a sad statement about them I think.

Some of us live a long ways away, (Seattle) and don't get a chance to follow individual wrestlers. And in my case, my interest starts to wain at about 197#'s ..... YET, if folks just add a link, to support the post, or announcement etc ... It would really help.

I had absolutely no idea who this kid was. I did,Google it right quick, and got my answer, yet ...

http://blog.pennlive.com/patriotnewssports/2012/11/college_wrestling_notebook_pen_1.html

Thanks Husker; excellent, objective post. Hard to believe it was necessary for a guy like Haines but I guess some people are more interested in pissing on PSU fans then following wrestling. Kind of a sad statement about them I think.

boo hoo. like i said, you guys are crying like little babies. imagine a college football or hoops website where a fan questions the future of a recruit, or says the schedule they played in HS doesn't indicate success is imminent, or asks for more info. Oh wait, they exist and other fans don't automatically jump on them for " trashtalking HS kids" our fan base will never expand if people stay so sensitive.

Haines is talented. If your best career win is Idelson or David Farr you haven't wrestled a great schedule, so you are unproven. He got beaten pretty easily by Snyder. IN Pa alone he missed Rizzo, Peck, Vizcerando, Grossi, Solomon, etc......all good kids around his size.

As a PSU fan, I do agree with Guillermo a bit here.

I would really like to see him wrestle some studs before he walks onto the college scene. It's better to get some bumps mangled out. I remember last year in the state finals match, the kid got under Haines nails and he didn't respond to well. Yes, I think he majored him before it was all said and done, but he was almost crying in frusteration because he couldn't man handle him.

A ton of talent and athleticism, but would love to see some better names on the resume soon. On the flip side, he can not make anyone wrestle him; all he can do is wrestle who is in front of him.

Great recruit for PSU to say the least.