Sign in to follow this  
jstock

4pts, exposure & appreciation

First off, I think these new rules are very good compared to the garbage that we had. We are now enjoying wrestling again.

I am bothered by 4pts, exposure & appreciation. 4 pts is the highest award and it seems like the officials give it away too easily. 4 pts used to mean something. An arched throw, feet to back. Now the officials award 4 for a feet to butt or just about any lift. I think we see so few throws now that the standards for max points have been lowered significantly.

I also saw quite a few points awarded for exposure where I didn't see 90deg broke.

Not a fan of the appreciation point. I think it's way too subjective. There are many almost scores. Some are appreciated and some are not. Ramos wins on an appreciation point. Make the wrestlers actually score to get the points.

Overall the new rules are great. I would like to see some tweaks though.

"Appreciation" no longer exists. Hasn't existed for a LONG time. Those were only awarded for a High-Arching, feet to back, and if the ref had a jones for you, I guess.

There are two separate 1-point "holds" that have fans/coaches/wrestlers continually scratching their head:

Correct hold - This is an old one, has been on the books and in use for as long as I can remember. This is a one point given for a throw that is executed and your opponent's feet are in the air and he rotates. Imagine someone countering an arm throw in a cartwheel-esque manner.

Almost/near takedown - I saw this called in the Pico match at Cadet Worlds last year, and it completely baffled me. This is a one point for getting to a leg and putting the wrestler in danger. Literally, and I shi*t you not, think of it as a score in the ball grab era *facepalm*

I am afraid the the 1 PT appreciation for correct hold could lead to some shady officiating on the international scene. Why was Ramos awarded an appreciation point when Oliver and Taylor were much closer to scoring with wrestling moves and they did not receive the points. I appreciate the almost scores by Taylor vs Multiple world champ and Oliver's almost score vs multiple world team member over Ramos almost score (but not close at all) vs a 3X NCAA AA. (Not being critical of Ramos, he had nothing to do with the officials decision)

Take out the appreciation point concept. You have to actually score to get points and while you're at it, bring back OT.