Sign in to follow this  
Henry197

Wrestlers that went on to unexpected careers

Eric Tannenbaum, 4XAA at Michigan is a physician.
I wouldn't think that he would be practickin' already. Considering that he would have had to attend med school after getting his Bachelor's, he would then be onto residency.The whole process is about 10 years and I don't think Tannenbaum's been out of college that long.

Anyone ever eat at Benihana's ?

Rocky Aoki

http://www.rockyhaoki.com/biography.html

According to the article,

>

However, what I was told is that Rocky chased the dean one night in his car, and that is the reason why he got thrown out of Post. Just thought I would throw that it since its a much better story than just "getting in trouble for fighting".

Rocky Aoki

>

However, what I was told is that Rocky chased the dean one night in his car, and that is the reason why he got thrown out of Post. Just thought I would throw that it since its a much better story than just "getting in trouble for fighting".

Well ... I'll be dammed !!! Didn't know this.

Rocky Aoki

>

Of course that degree in management might be Anger Management.

fwiw, wiki has this info on Henson

He then returned to the University of Missouri to finish his degree, graduating in 1995 with a degree in Park, Recreation and Tourism Management.

Everything on Wikipedia is true.....right?

He then returned to the University of Missouri to finish his degree, graduating in 1995 with a degree in Park, Recreation and Tourism Management.

thus the fwiw Robert.

The six wrestlers from PA that went on to have unexpected careers in college in the last 10 years were.

1. Dustin Monotti, placed in AA states three times, highest state place was 3rd. Went on to be a 4x AA at Cornell.

2. Phil Davis, placed in AAA states twice, highest state place was 4th. Went on to be a 4x AA at Penn St. winning a national title.

3. Josh Koscheck, only placed in AAA states once, highest state place 2nd. went on to be A 4x AA at Edinboro, winning a national title.

4. Ed Ruth, only placed in AAA state twice, highest state place was 4th. should be a 4x AA for Penn St., winning one national title already.

5. Keith Gavin, only placed in AA states twice, highest state place was 4th. went on to be a 2x AA for Pitt, winning a national title.

6. Greg Jones, placed in AAA states three times, highest state place 1x champ, went on to be a 3x national champ for WVU.

Personally, I usually cross check my Wiki "facts" with the comments made on an anonymous forum to ensure their accuracy. ;)

CP Schlatter was (is?) working as a nurse.

CP worked with my son at some camps a few years ago, he was a great young man. I believe he has a degree in nursing (damn fine career) and was/is working in the field. I have a good friend (guy) who is a nurse practitioner, makes a great living.

Some interesting things on this post but I am a little disapointed that we are "surprised" when a wrestler goes on to become a doctor or other successful endevours. Should it be that big of an accomplishment that a wrestler becomes a Dr? If so, we need to focus on our athletes getting better educations so we have more of them. In spirit of the post, it's been mentioned before but Colin Kilrain is the head of the Navy Seals and I know of several ex navy wrestlers who were recently made Admiral before they were 50 years old(Andy Lewis and Brad Williamson). Those are some impressive things.

CP worked with my son at some camps a few years ago, he was a great young man. I believe he has a degree in nursing (damn fine career) and was/is working in the field. I have a good friend (guy) who is a nurse practitioner, makes a great living.

:thumbsup:

That is a tough job. Long hours, lots of mental stress and not much pay for what you do. I think much like teaching, policing and similar "people" jobs, nursing is a calling & requires a special person to do it.

.......Should it be that big of an accomplishment that a wrestler becomes a Dr? If so, we need to focus on our athletes getting better educations so we have more of them.

+1

......Colin Kilrain is the head of the Navy Seals and I know of several ex navy wrestlers who were recently made Admiral before they were 50 years old(Andy Lewis and Brad Williamson). Those are some impressive things.

Another +1!

:thumbsup:

That is a tough job. Long hours, lots of mental stress and not much pay for what you do. I think much like teaching, policing and similar "people" jobs, nursing is a calling & requires a special person to do it.

Hardly a poor wage, don't know what world your living in. My lady went to school for spanish and hit the reset button, now is a RN with only her associates and makes 30+ per hour. I know that Owen Elzen also went into the nursing field but believe his might be more specialized and he probably makes 6 figures.

Gbenga Akinnagbe - wrestled for Bucknell and then went on to play Chris Partlow for five season on The Wire.

Wasn't there a kid from Oklahoma who might have been an All-American his freshman year, then quit to pursue a career in music? His name is escaping, though I can see his face.

There was a guy who pitched for the St. Louis Cardinals (I think during their 2006 World Series run) who is/was a wrestling coach in Pennsylvania during the off-season.

As for the kid who quit to pursue a music career, you're not thinking of McIntire are you? I can't think of his first name but there was a McIntire that pinned Zach Esposito in a tournament and then quit before his freshman season was even over. I don't know what became of him, but I think he was into orchestra and symphony type music. When you hear, "gave up wrestling for music" some automatically think that he quit school to join up with some buddies to play at the local bars while living in his parents basement. The reality of the situation to my understanding is that he studied music at Indiana, and put all of his energy and focus into that.

Matt McIntire:

Asics All-American 1st team

2002 - Matt McIntire senior Lakota West HS, West Chester, OH

While not a household name, actor writer, comedian Dave Sheridan was a state champ in the 80's, i think it was either Delaware or Maine. He has had a few small roles in big movies, notably Doofy in Scary Movie and he had a funny role in Ghost World playing a guy with a mullett whipping around a pair of nunchucks in a 7-11 parking lot. I think he's mostly doing screen writing now.

What about Greg Warren AA at Mizzou and is now a comedian has released a few albums, acted in a few movies, had a comedy central special, appeared on late night with Craig Ferguson quite a few times.

I went to see Greg in Dallas at the Improv and he was fantastic. VERY FUNNY. It mentions wrestling several times and does a bit on his transferring from West Point to Mizzou (again very funny).