Sign in to follow this  
LongShot

Burroughs over the Line?

I have no horse in the race - I'm a huge fan of both, JB and DT.

Just watched that match again.

IMO, Taylor started the whole thing with a hard left hook to JB's head at 1:58 left in the first period. Then Taylor nailed him again 10 seconds later, albeit not as hard. At 1:40 left in the first JB retaliates back, and next thing you know, it's on. Got real rough back and forth after that.

Nobody's perfect. I don't think extra-curricular stuff was a big deal at all. (Probably shouldn't say this, but actually enjoyed all the rough stuff.) Heat of the moment in one of their biggest matches of their life.

How about JB is just sick of people wanting to crown DT before he has won a match?

Or maybe JB was just making sure DT knew who the man at the weight is and that close to winning isnt winning

If i were him i would be asserting myself all over the mat just as he has.

Sure, its a rough sport yada yada. At this level though while wrestling a fellow US wrestler (albeit it for the spot) hitting a double leg for 2 points on the edge I thought was enough. Didn't need the gratuitous leg over the head 3 seconds after the whistle while DT wasn't defending. Life goes on.

How about JB is just sick of people wanting to crown DT before he has won a match?

Or maybe JB was just making sure DT knew who the man at the weight is and that close to winning isnt winning

If i were him i would be asserting myself all over the mat just as he has.

Bingo. Add to that the abrupt change to the qualification rules for a reigning world champ. The David Taylor crowd rolls into town and sheriff Burroughs is suppose to hand in his badge?

Ladies, the Dressage forum is here: http://www.ultimatedressage.com/forums/index.php

This one is for wrestlers.

All the hugging and kissing that you people expect before, during and after matches makes me sick. Should they be gelded before they are allowed to compete?!?

DT is a big boy and he can handle a little pushy pushy. I guarantee he isn't crying into his pillow at night because mean Jordan shoved him.

For the people crying about how mean Burroughs was to Taylor, what are your thoughts on when Taylor threw Dake off the mat at NCAAs last year?

skip to ~1:45 after his first take down. Lets not pretend DT doesn't show signs of bad sportsmanship from time to time himself...

Burroughs was and still is the man, but lets please not let our admiration of him cause us to make excuses for acts of poor sportsmanship. Yeah yeah its a rough and tumble sport, blah blah blah, and there's no doubt those 2 matches were an awesome display of hard physical wrestling, but it did cross the line a couple times -- lets not pretend stuff like flinging Taylor's legs back after the whistle is acceptable. Burroughs knows this as well as anyone, as until now I've never seen his confidence and will to win cause him to cross the line. For most of us older fans its no big deal but there's tons of young wrestlers watching and Burroughs is incredibly influential, and lots of young guys are going to take their cue from Burroughs on what it means to go hard. Burroughs is a stand-up guy and I suspect at some point he will acknowledge he crossed the line and apologize -- not so much to Taylor (who probably doesn't care) but to young wrestlers who idolize him and over whom he has so much influence.

Ladies, the Dressage forum is here: http://www.ultimatedressage.com/forums/index.php

This one is for wrestlers.

All the hugging and kissing that you people expect before, during and after matches makes me sick. Should they be gelded before they are allowed to compete?!?

DT is a big boy and he can handle a little pushy pushy. I guarantee he isn't crying into his pillow at night because mean Jordan shoved him.

winner. thread ender. next topic.

Speaking of over the Line......didn't it look like Burroughs stepped out near the end of the second match? Was wondering why there was no protest- a lot of folks thought he stepped out. (maybe it was just the PSU group?)

Burroughs is a stand-up guy and I suspect at some point he will acknowledge he crossed the line and apologize -- not so much to Taylor (who probably doesn't care) but to young wrestlers who idolize him and over whom he has so much influence.

LOL

Remember when Metcalf went way over the line by wrestling til the buzzer in the NCAA finals against Caldwell? That was poor sportsmanship. Instead of arguing about when hand fighting and shoving goes "over the line," let's talk about how Metcalf had the nerve to assault Caldwell like that just because he was losing!

this thread blows. Burroughs and Taylor are competitors. lets all enjoy the awesome competition and let them sort it out on the mat and otherwise shut up about it.

as for little kids, all they will see are two great wrestlers who work extremely hard at the sport. its their parents job to teach them not be jerks, not anyone else wearing a singlet.

please no one start anymore dumb threads like this.

Remember when Metcalf went way over the line by wrestling til the buzzer in the NCAA finals against Caldwell? That was poor sportsmanship. Instead of arguing about when hand fighting and shoving goes "over the line," let's talk about how Metcalf had the nerve to assault Caldwell like that just because he was losing!

If I remember correctly (and the link below says I do) the NCAA publicly reprimanded Metcalf for pushing Caldwell and thereby jeopardizing his safety, and Iowa did not appeal it.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/di_champs_sport ... stling.pdf

But according to the article linked below, Metcalf apologized for pushing Caldwell , saying it was a result of self defense and partly frustration.

http://qctimes.com/sports/wrestling/col ... 03286.html

So to sum it all up, the NCAA handed out a reprimand, Metcalf apologized, and Caldwell seems to be over it. Suffice to say the issue is old news.

Ha I don't think Caldwell is over it quite yet. Every time Brent wins an event or does well Caldwell gets on twitter and takes shots at him (Lance Palmer usually joins in too). It's pretty funny to look at knowing how their careers turned out and how Brent's has taken off. Oh well, to each their own I guess.

this thread blows. Burroughs and Taylor are competitors. lets all enjoy the awesome competition and let them sort it out on the mat and otherwise shut up about it.

as for little kids, all they will see are two great wrestlers who work extremely hard at the sport. its their parents job to teach them not be jerks, not anyone else wearing a singlet.

WTF are you..thread police? Must've missed the interesting thread you started. :roll:

No poor sportsmanship. Just Burroughs schooling Taylor. Showing him that he can pull a move out of his arsenal when it is needed.

Let Taylor get ahead and then turned up the temperature when needed to win.

Same as last time - just different day.

Ha I don't think Caldwell is over it quite yet. Every time Brent wins an event or does well Caldwell gets on twitter and takes shots at him (Lance Palmer usually joins in too). It's pretty funny to look at knowing how their careers turned out and how Brent's has taken off. Oh well, to each their own I guess.

#Sportsmanship

...I wish I was as funny as scribe.

WTF are you..thread police? Must've missed the interesting thread you started. :roll:

i said please!

sorry, i was in a bad mood earlier today. but i still think this topic is dumb. and i am the dumb topic police so im speaking from authority here.