Sign in to follow this  
Angry_Fish

2016 USA Olympic Team

Assuming that same weights are in place at that time, predictions 2 years out, on who will comprise that team.

Personally, there is only one weight I feel confidence level of greater than 75% predicting.

86KG - Ed Ruth. Barring injury or some other atypical circumstance, I think he is going to own this weight for several years. He got over the hump quickly. He beat a lot of quality guys on Sunday (Hamlin, Keddy, Foster, Gavin 2x). A year ago, he did not look good at WTTs, now he is the champ.

74KG - I still go with JB (75% confidence). Only reason I have doubt is b/c of the quality of the guys chasing him. Dake/Taylor/Pico(?)

65KG. Gun to my head, I say Metcalf (60%). Will not be surprised though if Stieber/Oliver/Russell/Pico(?) knock him off by then.

57KG -- Wide open. Not sold on Ramos being the future. Really don't know who will emerge.

97KG -- If not Varner, then who? Snyder? Still awfully young in '16.

125KG -- See 97KG but replace Varner/Snyder with Dlagnev/Coon.

Assuming that same weights are in place at that time, predictions 2 years out, on who will comprise that team.

Personally, there is only one weight I feel confidence level of greater than 75% predicting.

86KG - Ed Ruth. Barring injury or some other atypical circumstance, I think he is going to own this weight for several years. He got over the hump quickly. He beat a lot of quality guys on Sunday (Hamlin, Keddy, Foster, Gavin 2x). A year ago, he did not look good at WTTs, now he is the champ.

74KG - I still go with JB (75% confidence). Only reason I have doubt is b/c of the quality of the guys chasing him. Dake/Taylor/Pico(?)

65KG. Gun to my head, I say Metcalf (60%). Will not be surprised though if Stieber/Oliver/Russell/Pico(?) knock him off by then.

57KG -- Wide open. Not sold on Ramos being the future. Really don't know who will emerge.

97KG -- If not Varner, then who? Snyder? Still awfully young in '16.

125KG -- See 97KG but replace Dlagnev w/ Coon.

57- No frontrunner yet. Ramos, Blanc, Esco, Mega, and Garrett will be in the mix.

65- Right now Metcalf has the edge. Oliver, Russell, and Stieber will challenge. It's far too soon to discuss Pico.

74- The Champ. Even if Dake and Taylor were as good at freestyle as Sanderson was, that still wouldn't be enough to make the team IMO. Burroughs is the best p4p in the world, and right now the second best American freestyler ever. He's the Sajidov to their Sanderson.

86- Ruth. Herbert, Foster, and Gavin will challenge.

97- Varner. Too soon to discuss Snyder.

125- Dlagnev.

That's right. In an era of only six weight classes, we could see two four-time NCAA champs sitting at home (Stieber and Dake), a three-time NCAA champ sitting at home (Delgado), and a two-time Hodge winner sitting at home (Taylor). Another two-time Hodge winner (Askren) wouldn't make the team if he tried.

Way too early, but I'm bored at work, so here are mine.

57 kg: Garrett (alternate: Ramos)

65 kg: Metcalf (alternate: JO)

74 kg: JB (alternate: Dake)

86 kg: Ruth (alternate: Perry)

97 kg: Varner (alternate: Snyder)

125 kg: Dlagnev (alternate: Fortune)

That's pretty good.

No way Herbert makes the team in 2015 or '16 at this point.

Name the guys that have taken 2 years off and made a world team after the time off....

cael: was not nearly as good, but the layoff was much longer

frayer: was he off 2 years? wrestled at about the same level.

kolat: several years off, not nearly as good and couldn't make the team partially due to the new weights

Name the guys that have taken 2 years off and made a world team after the time off....

cael: was not nearly as good, but the layoff was much longer

frayer: was he off 2 years? wrestled at about the same level.

kolat: several years off, not nearly as good and couldn't make the team partially due to the new weights

Chris Campbell took a lot more than 2 years off and won an Olympic bronze.

But you have a good point.

Having been through a couple Olympic cycles, in my opinion I'm not sure anyone is a lock, the level of competition ratchets up significantly for the Olympic Trials, and new/old faces are added to the mix. As for Ruth, he's really going to have to try and not get lifted as often as he does, Foster tossed him for four at the US Open, he was really lucky Gavin din't do the same here, it definitely would have changed that match:

http://www.wrestlersarewarriors.com/ima ... large.html