Sign in to follow this  
Angry_Fish

World Medals - 2014

JH,

Not trying to pick fights on here brother. I watched two league matches on russian video with Gatsalov in Iran(thanks Cmikes-didn't know where) beating some huge guys and was not making it up. Looked like they were at least 280. They were top guys not #1 guys. I was just impessed with a past his prime Gatsalov running through worlds last year at Heavyweight. I didnt think he had a chance. I will not bet against him this year. The same guys will be there so don't you think he will repeat?

cool man, never got the impression that you were so its all good.

i was super impressed with Gatsalov's performance too and would not be shocked if he won it all at 125 kilos again. but as far as probabilities go, im not sure i would give him high odds. not any kind of an expert on it tho, just looking forward to seeing how things shake out.

I hope all U.S. wrestlers medal, the more the merrier. Really hoping that the U.S. finally brings home its very first Gold medal in Beach/ Sand Wrestling...it would also be the first gold for the western hemeshpere. Any news on who made the mens and womens team this year for the Worlds in Greece? Any of them going to be at the North American Beach Wrestling Champinships in Virginia Beach this upcoming weekend?

Where are the results of the USA Wrestling Beach Nationals this past weekend? I can't find it on the USA Wrestling site.

I agree. I love this team. The new blood at 125 and 189 is awesome. Put Kennedy in and Marable/Taylor in there and we might have a team Gold! I would rank us third but am hoping for team Gold! All 8 guys are capable of placing.

I don't need to be convinced that 97kg is the toughest weight in the world, I follow the sport closely. Just don't personally agree that you can say with any sort of certainty (and you've done so many many times) that all these 97's can bump up to 125 and would be favorites up there. It's splitting hairs since it's mostly conjecture, but you're using an awfully small sample size (ie one wrestler). Have Yazdani or Gadisov or Gazyumov ever bumped up? I know that most challenge matches between 96 and 125's did not turn out in favor of the 96, though I'm aware of Gatsalov beating Makhov in a really slow match with two guys who knew each other intimately with no stakes.

I have mentioned this before, but also don't see the point in citing the current rankings even as a baseline. Our guy being unranked or beating a guy ranked 3rd means nothing in an of itself. The FILA rankings are a joke and in order for them to approach subjectivity heavily weigh on certain events. It's a worthwhile effort I guess but not a very helpful starting point. Past results at World championships is far more relevant when evaluating our opposition, and then factoring in regular season results with a grain of salt unless they've been repeated multiple times. Someone was saying how it's a demerit for Ruth to lose to Gavin and even Foster, etc. when it's more objective to consider he reversed the Foster result after warming up to freestyle more. Also he matches up worse with Gavin on paper but still managed to make adjustments and beat him. He will be even better come Worlds. The weight class is too deep for me to predict a medal for Ruth, but as someone else mentioned there's no one that's a slam dunk prohbitive favorite over him. Instead of focusing on a loss to Gavin who hasn't had success abroad, I would argue that it's pretty damn impressive he beat Foster who has beaten top guys internationally.

Bwh,

Point taken. Most of the grandprix's I have ever watched or attended the 125k guy did beat the 96k guy. But other than Gatsalov your right I don't have any evidence the top 3 96k guys could bump up and win heavy. It just is amazing that Gatsalov can blow through 125k and not even make the team at 96k and possibly only take 5th at worlds at 96k. And if I am honest I would put Varner at 3rd or 5th as well.

This team excites me greatly and I don't see why we can't win the team Gold and get 8 medals. That is very optimistic but I like this team especially if Kennedy and Taylor are the additions.

This is one of the more excited I've been for a world team and it's chances to bring home hardware. I I I I see it as follows

top tier, should medal

Varner and Burroughs

next tier better than 75%

Marable he's been on a tear

Ruth if he avoids obvious mistakes, he can go with anyone in the world.

Dlegnav He has been in the thick of things for years now. He should be right there.

3rd tier 50%

Kennedy he just continues to look better and better. I can't just expect him to medal but he's right there. I'd love to see hi get it done.

Metcalf I'm pulling for him. He can be in the finals if all breaks right for him, I just can't bet on it going that way. None the less, Brent will be a load for anyone and I expect him to improve on historical placings

Longshot

Ramos I'd love to see hi get a couple of matches and some valuable experience.

This is one of the more excited I've been for a world team and it's chances to bring home hardware. I I I I see it as follows

top tier, should medal

Varner and Burroughs

next tier better than 75%

Marable he's been on a tear

Ruth if he avoids obvious mistakes, he can go with anyone in the world.

Dlegnav He has been in the thick of things for years now. He should be right there.

3rd tier 50%

Kennedy he just continues to look better and better. I can't just expect him to medal but he's right there. I'd love to see hi get it done.

Metcalf I'm pulling for him. He can be in the finals if all breaks right for him, I just can't bet on it going that way. None the less, Brent will be a load for anyone and I expect him to improve on historical placings

Longshot

Ramos I'd love to see hi get a couple of matches and some valuable experience.

Ed Ruth will have a good chance to win a medal this year. The guy is smart, talented, works hard and is going to be as good as Jordan Burroughs.

Very bold statement considering that after this summer, Burroughs may become arguably the 3rd best US wrestler of all time.