Sign in to follow this  
wrestlingnerd

Challenging University champions

http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Fe ... World-Team

Apparently Miller is electing not to compete? Green is in.

2014 Freestyle University World Team Wrestle-Off Matchups

57 kg/125.5 lbs.: Matt McDonough (Iowa City, Iowa/Titan Mercury WC) vs. Nahshon Garrett (Ithaca, N.Y./Cornell University)

65 kg/143 lbs.: Jordan Oliver (Stillwater, Okla./Titan Mercury WC) vs. Anthony Ashnault (South Plainfield, N.J./Rutgers)

97 kg/213 lbs.: Dustin Kilgore (Colorado Springs, Colo./Sunkist Kids/OTC) vs. Chad Hanke (Dayton, Ore./Titan Mercury WC

125 kg/275 lbs.: Tyrell Fortune (Portland, Ore./Titan Mercury WC) vs. Austin Marsden (Crystal Lake, Ill./Titan Mercury WC)

2014 Freestyle University World Team Roster

57 kg/125.5 lbs.: TBD

61 kg/134 lbs.: B.J. Futrell (Ann Arbor, Mich./Titan Mercury WC)

65 kg/143 lbs.: TBD

70 kg/154 lbs.: James Green (Willingboro, N.J./Titan Mercury WC)

74 kg/163 lbs.: Tyler Caldwell (Stillwater, Okla./Sunkist Kids)

86 kg/189 lbs.: Chris Perry (Stillwater, Okla./Titan Mercury WC)

97 kg/213 lbs.: TBD

125 kg/275 lbs.: TBD

I'm still unclear on who is eligible for Universities in the first place. I understand the challenge process, but I was surprised to see that Oliver was eligible to challenge. Are there age limitations? Must one be currently taking university classes (or just graduated)? If so, does grad school count? I know DT was/is pursuing a masters at PSU, is JO doing the same at OK St?

Appreciate any clarification that can be offered.

Thanks.

Miller beat Caldwell but I guess you are correct and it looks like Taylor is electing not to challenge Caldwell? Will Taylor try to make 70 for the senior worlds? Can he make that?

Richard Immel reported via twitter last week that DT is done for the summer. Have not seen anything out of DT himself or Cael confirming this report.

I dunno, am I the only one who isn't looking forward to seeing McD make the cut back down again? I guess it would be a good way to see what his senior year struggles were due to (shoulder exclusively? Weight cut? Some of both?) but he just looks so damn sucked out down there, I feel for him.

Richard Immel reported via twitter last week that DT is done for the summer. Have not seen anything out of DT himself or Cael confirming this report.

Uh, you said this on Twitter:

@magicman_psu what decision are u referring? R u going 70kg? Why so elusive? Ur fans want to know ...show us some respect

Nothing more needs to be said about when you hound me, Immel, the Penn State SID and others on social media for information. #blocklist #aintnobodygottimeforthat

I'm still unclear on who is eligible for Universities in the first place. I understand the challenge process, but I was surprised to see that Oliver was eligible to challenge. Are there age limitations? Must one be currently taking university classes (or just graduated)? If so, does grad school count? I know DT was/is pursuing a masters at PSU, is JO doing the same at OK St?

Thanks.

Graduated high school and less than 28 yo.

http://content.themat.com/forms/Weights.pdf

Thanks.

Graduated high school and less than 28 yo.

http://content.themat.com/forms/Weights.pdf

Doesn't appear to be that simple:

"Only the following individuals may participate as competitors in the 2014 University Nationals:

"Students who are currently officially registered as proceeding towards a degree or diploma at a university or similar institute whose status is recognized by the appropriate national academic authority of their country.

"Former students of the institutions mentioned above who have obtained their academic degree or diploma in the year preceding the event."

http://usawevents.sportngin.com/page/sh ... -nationals

I dunno, am I the only one who isn't looking forward to seeing McD make the cut back down again? I guess it would be a good way to see what his senior year struggles were due to (shoulder exclusively? Weight cut? Some of both?) but he just looks so damn sucked out down there, I feel for him.

Well you are a couple weeks late on this one seeing as how he made 57kg for World Team Trials and took 3rd (Senior level) which gave him the opportunity to challenge here.

Why is Adam Coon declining, as well? Are Junior Worlds and University Worlds too close to each other?

The last I heard, Adam was thinking of going both ways at Junior Worlds (FS/GR).....that might be enough to concentrate on :).

Night before weigh-ins seemed to suit him well at Trials, but, long term, he might want to follow the Jordan Oliver plan and works his way up.

McD wrestled at University Nationals at 61K, right? If so, seems a little unfair that he can drop a weight and challenge.

Night before weigh-ins seemed to suit him well at Trials, but, long term, he might want to follow the Jordan Oliver plan and works his way up.

McD wrestled at University Nationals at 61K, right? If so, seems a little unfair that he can drop a weight and challenge.

McD did not wrestle at University Nationals. He wrestled at 61 kg for the U.S. Open.

So much for the theory that JO is a tweener and has all this weight to gain....

------

was thinking the same thing... a few posters thought JO looked "small" wrestling at US Open and WTT's. Right.

Appears that the official spin is the Oliver "elected not to compete."

Where did you read/hear this?

Obvious question is "why?".

Other questions:

1. Is he now considering wrestling at 70KG, Srs, in July?

2. When did he make this decision and announce it? Did Ashnoult travel all the way to AZ only for JO to withdraw last minute or was his decision communicated thoughtfully and with consideration for Ashnoult et al?