Sign in to follow this  
pennsyrules

Who has had more pressure?

Just looking at high school kids moving on to DI college, I can't think of anyone who has had more pressure to succeed than Marsteller. Short of being a 3-4 time champ, many of the critics will talk about how he was over-rated and didn't "pan out". It's a shame when people just can't wait to see a kid fail despite superior accomplishments on the mat. I know a lot of people will support him but he will also certainly have his share of critics. Look at what the Alton brothers have had to face. Two great kids who just compete but because of their accomplishments coming out of high school, they get crushed by people on these boards.

I look forward to seeing Marsteller compete and hope his immense talent continues to carry him through college but what I know for sure is he will have immense pressure to dominate, otherwise he will be thrown in the group of over-rated high school stars. Can you think of anyone who has come out with more hype in a long time?

Chance is facing the same pressure as many before him. Taylor, JO, Metcalf, Schlatter, GScott etc....

Some guys have met the potential and some have not. Some of the ones who have not, could not because of injury or many other reasons. Some lost desire or ended up in a bad situation.

Chance and his peers do not owe you or any fan. His level of "success" is his. The only certainty is that he and others will be micro analyzed the whole way through and have to read or hear crap from fans (which I have been guilty of) criticize and analyze based purely on speculation. These kids are not running for public office.

I think Pico took some of the pressure off. Marstellar is no longer the HS kid most talked about.

The Altons both had good freshman years, so they are entirely different. They either lost interest or something. As freshman, they lived up to the hype.

There have been a lot of big shots in HS who fell short or ever quit the sport entirely.

Wonder if he redshirts

The Altons have not improved.

Do you're a blue chip recruit coming out of HS, to be considered successful must you win multiple titles or is reaching the AA status enough of an accomplishment?

JT1's topic...ABSURD!

This topic...Relevant topic of discussion!

What are you talking about? There is nothing here. This is just an illusion, a figment of your imagination. Discussions like this never happen and I rest assure you the idea that people expect all 77 NCAA teams to win the NCAA title year in and year out, like they are on another topic where Coach Flynn is being unfairly chastised, does NOT exist. We're just nuts.

It'll go like this.

Marsteller will take a couple losses this year, and the usual douchebags will be like, ha ha, I really enjoyed the Marstellar era, you all said he'd be a 4x champ and he can't even beat [insert wrestler's name]."

And then all the fanboys will come up and say, wait, we never actually said he was gonig to be a 4x champ, we just said he's going to be good.

Then everyone will argue about exactly how bold the predictions of yesteryear were, how much the loss(es) really mean, blah blah blah.

Meanwhile, Marstellar himself won't bother reading the form, and will quietly go on to win the vast majority of his matches and put together an excellent career.

Chance created a lot of ill-will for himself when he de-committed from PSU. Few would have blinked if he had chosen Ok St out of the gate, but to announce he was going to PSU and the de-commit is bad form when you are the top ranked kid on the country (in any sport). Some believe Snyder would hve gone to PSU if Chance had not announced he was going there. Different weights, I know, but I can see still see the tinking,

BTW, why wasn't he at Jr. World's? is he still hurt? Is there more to that injury than originally expected? This kid has had a couple serious injuries already and he hasn't even graduated HS yet. Can't help but wonder if his body will hold up in college and beyond.

Pico and Snyder have both taken pressure off of him. In the last 6 months or so, both have passed him in press, hype and expectations.

I hear more about Spencer Lee than I do about Chance any more.

BAC, what is your prediction for Marsteller's career?

Hard to say. My own guess would be 1-2 NCAA titles and a 3-4x AA, with 10-20 career losses, assuming he can stay healthy.

What's your prediction?

It's a shame when people just can't wait to see a kid fail despite superior accomplishments on the mat.

Unless you know him personally, which 99.999% of posters here do not, I don't think anyone wants to see him "fail" (such a relative term). More to the point, they wold like to see him not accomplish they hype in order to hurt/shame/embarrass those claiming that Chance is the best there ever was and you heard it from them first.

angry fish has hit the nail on the head, pretty much. I worry about Chance's body holding up. He's had a bad back throughout his Senior year, it appears. He was seriously injured at the beginning of his Jr year and it apparently took a while to get back in to form.

I'm trying to remember the sequence of events that led to Chance changing his commitment from PSU to OSU, but I think it had to do with 1) Cael taking Haines' scholarship offer back and maybe 2) being rushed by Jordan Oliver during that all-star meet in Bethlehem just the week before he changed his mind.

Since then there has been some negative comments about Marstellar, probably due to his turning away from Penn State... but none of this negates the phenomenal record he's had. I've watched him for the last 4 years and he may be the best ever in PA.

I've seen most of the greats and Chance certainly ranks with them. The problem is: he wins so easily it's hard to tell how good he really is.

I look forward to Chance having an excellent college career. I won't make predictions - most who do usually look foolish. But if he stays healthy and interested, then he'll do well.

Metcalf had a lot of pressure and didn't even come close to living up to the hype.

I have more fingers, not counting my thumbs, than he does career losses. He didn't wrestle as a freshman and finished 1-2-1 at the NCAA's.

Lol, not even a 4 year letter winner. That kind of stuff flew back in the dark ages, but the iPhone generation wants nothing less than 4x AA.

Metcalf had a lot of pressure and didn't even come close to living up to the hype.

I have more fingers, not counting my thumbs, than he does career losses. He didn't wrestle as a freshman and finished 1-2-1 at the NCAA's.

Lol, not even a 4 year letter winner. That kind of stuff flew back in the dark ages, but the iPhone generation wants nothing less than 4x AA.

Not a year starter? Not for me!

BobDole, BobDole, where art thou BobDole?

This thread has almost nothing to do with what BobDole was commenting on in the other thread. This is a thread about which kid has had the most pressure, not a thread dedicated to cutting anyone down for under performance vs projected performance. Surprised you dont see the difference. TS even complimented Marstellar and wished him well.

In the latest WIN, Chance stated he wrestled for the 4th PA title with a stress fracture in his lower back, and that is why he didn't participate in Dapper Dan. That alone would make me a little wary about predicting ncaa titles and multiple AA finishes. He has immense talent, but that's not enough if he has recurring back issues. Hopefully he has recovered completely.

BobDole, BobDole, where art thou BobDole?

This thread has almost nothing to do with what BobDole was commenting on in the other thread. This is a thread about which kid has had the most pressure, not a thread dedicated to cutting anyone down for under performance vs projected performance. Surprised you dont see the difference. TS even complimented Marstellar and wished him well.

I wasn't referring to the thread as a whole. I was referring the post that I quoted. Anyone can see that.

I can understand the fans of Penn State having negative feelings about a home state wrestler going to my school(OK State) we experienced some of that when Mark Perry Jr. went to Iowa. Not only was he leaving the state but also going to long time hated rival. I do not pretend to know why Chance changed his mind and decided on OSU although I have heard all of the rumors like most of you. Obviously, from my point of view I hope he is a four time national champion. My most fervent hope however is that he represent the sport and Oklahoma State well in his career and go on to dominate in International wrestling. Will he do this? Odds are that he will not. He would not be the first or last super talent that did not pan out in college and beyond. I do not know him or his family personally but I suspect that he will not be under any more pressure than most of the highly regarded recruits. Whether he went to Penn State or Oklahoma State he chose a great program with great coaches and if he has not lost his motivation he will be very good. From what I have heard he is no more prone to injury than anyone else. We won one recruiting battle with Penn State but have lost many others including this year with Bo Nickal.