Sign in to follow this  
gg121and2

Happy Birthday, Lewboo

Today is Hawkeye great Randy Lewis' birthday. One of the great wrestlers in American history, my favorite Lewboo memory comes from 5 years ago at the Northern Plains Open.

Randy had decided to make a "comeback" and enter. The Junior and Senior fields that day were filled with guys named Carr and Gadsen and Trizzino - all the sons of outstanding wrestlers of the '70s and 80's. When they announced "Lewis", however, it was the real deal. When Randy was called to the mat, all wrestling stopped. Everyone in the arena, including guys like Pete Bush and Lincoln McIlravy (with his whole family), moved to get as close to the action as they could. His first opponent (not yet born when Randy was winning titles at Iowa) had never heard of the "Impossible Leg". Randy let him in on the leg a couple of times and the results were just the same as I had seen so many times - takedown, Lewis.

The second opponent was a little cagier and it took a late exposure for Randy to get the win. I don't believe that the man standing next to me had ever seen Lewboo wrestle. He said, "He doesn't shoot much, does he?" My reply - "He never did." That win moved him into the semi-finals against UNI's Moza Fay. Moza got a takedown and a quick succession of leg lace turns and the match was over quickly. The ref raised Moza's hand and as Randy was trying to leave the mat Moza grabbed him by the arm, pulled him to the center of the mat, raised his hand and did the traditional 4-point turn so the crowd could acknowledge and recognize the greatness of the "man in the arena". It was one of the classiest things I've ever seen and the subsequent ovation made me tear up.

I was always amazed at how well lewboo wrestled but also how well he transitioned from wrestling to acting, tremendous in his role as Hank Shrader, Walter White's brother in law, in Breaking Bad.

height=300http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t30/Kachunk/stuff/breaking-bad-walter-white-hank-schrader_zpsa896aace.jpg[/img]

Happy birthday, Randy.

Randy was a very special wrestler.....that's why Amateur Wrestling News voted him the "Most Exciting Wrestler" of either the 70's or 80's, can't remember which....guessing the 80's. Loved his matches with Darryl Burley....classics. He is an all-time great. Happy Birthday Randy, and as Bob Hope used to sing...."thanks for the memories".....have a lot of your college matches in my video library.

Medicine Man, great job on the photo shoot, I just made that my profile pic on Face Book, thanks for the birthday wishes, and Fadzaev thanks for your comments! I always tried to put on a show for the crowds!

NJWC here is my Darryl Burley story. It was early December of 1978, and the Iowa Hawkeyes had a dual meet against Lehigh, at Lehigh in a small gym I believe they referred to as the Pit. I was a sophomore in college and was coming off a true freshman season in which I placed 2nd in the NCAA's, and then that spring and summer made the world team, beating 5 former world and Olympic team members to make the team. I was thinking I was THE MAN!!! For the first half of the year, I was wrestling up a weight at 134 pounds, and Lehigh had a true freshman named Darryl Burley who I had barely even heard of. I believe this dual was only Burley's second varsity match in college. I remember thinking, well Mr. Burley, welcome to the Big Time!! I was very confident that I would dominate this match and came out ready to hit some big moves and excite the crowd in the packed gym. Well about 15 seconds into the match, we locked up in an upper body move, and Darryl Burley promptly threw me on my back for a 5-0 lead. I eventually fought off my back and then got ridden for the rest of the 1st period. Back then the matches were 8 minutes, with a 2 minute first period. At the end of the 1st period I was down 5-0 plus 1:45 of riding time. In the 2nd period, I started my comeback, and we got into another upper body situation, and I still remember making eye contact with Lou Banach on our bench, and I winked at him right before I threw Burley to his back for 4 points. I think I was down 7=6 going into the 3rd period, and after an escape tied the score at 7-7 we locked up again and again Burley threw me to my back for 4. I fought off my back, got an escape and then we locked up for the 4th time and this time I threw Burley to his back for the 2nd time. Burley fought off his back, and I remember looking at the clock with 20 seconds left and I was ahead 12-11, but Burley had riding time, so the match was really tied. Back then, matches in duals ended in a tie, they did not go overtime, and I remember thinking no way am I going to settle for a tie in this match, so I let Burley go with 20 seconds left, and we got into another body lock situation, and for a 3rd time I came out on top as I threw Burley to his back with about 2 seconds left for the takedown, and I ended up winning the match 14-13. I have never seen film of that match, but that was the best and most exciting match of my entire college career. Burley would go on to win the NCAA's that year as a true freshman, beating defending NCAA champion Mike Land 9-7 in the finals at 134 pounds. I would go on to win the NCAA's that year at 126 pounds, beating John Azevedo 20-14 in the finals at 126 pounds. My match with Azevedo was the highest scoring match ever in the NCAA finals, which I am proud of, but my greatest match of my college career was my first meeting with Darrly Burley, one of the All time greats.

Great story; thanks for sharing. (I too was there)

I also recall Pete Schuyler gave Land a battle at 126 in an early dual. Pete was also a true frosh and had beaten Burley in NJ HS championships a few months earlier. Back then, NJ was not as strong so they weren't high expectations for the NJ duo.

Great story; thanks for sharing. (I too was there)

I also recall Pete Schuyler gave Land a battle at 126 in an early dual. Pete was also a true frosh and had beaten Burley in NJ HS championships a few months earlier. Back then, NJ was not as strong so they weren't high expectations for the NJ duo.

You have those things backwards.

It was Burley that gave Land a close match (7-6?) around the same time as LewBoo's match and Burley beat Schuyler in the finals (Pete won his Junior year and Darryl lost to Husted in the semis in OT that year)

Thanks to LewBoo for the story. I didn't notice the wink back then or you might have heard more from us.

I doubt you paid that much attention but between the two benches was a set of temporary bleachers where the announcer and scorers were. Back in the top row were a group of us that stood the whole match (we always did that). It was a great match. We knew you (and Darryl) were good but that match gave us tremendous extra respect for both of you.

Thanks Randy, very cool to hear it from your perspective. Darryl is a pretty quiet, very humble guy. When my son started training with Darryl, he had no idea of his background.

My son asks "was Darryl any good" (I was a four year D1 wrestler), and I said "yeah, I guess he was okay". I then told him to check him out online, and he couldn't believe how good Darryl was.

Good coach as well, very thorough and professorial.

Darryl wound up rooming with the guy he had beaten for the state title, and gave him a lot of credit for training with him at Lehigh.

Thanks Randy, very cool to hear it from your perspective. Darryl is a pretty quiet, very humble guy. When my son started training with Darryl, he had no idea of his background.

My son asks "was Darryl any good" (I was a four year D1 wrestler), and I said "yeah, I guess he was okay". I then told him to check him out online, and he couldn't believe how good Darryl was.

Good coach as well, very thorough and professorial.

Darryl wound up rooming with the guy he had beaten for the state title, and gave him a lot of credit for training with him at Lehigh.

I'm touched. :lol:

Cue flat/lamebrain (or even New Jersey Women's Club)...NOW!

Are you that attention starved, or simply that much of a prick, to bring your usual garbage to what was a nice, positive toned thread?

You really DID follow my cue, didn't you, Rush, my boy? :lol:

Cue flat/lamebrain and New Jersey Women's Club...NOW!

Are you that attention starved, or simply that much of a prick, to bring your usual garbage to what was a nice, positive toned thread?

You really DID follow my cue, didn't you, Rush, my boy? :lol:

Cue lame/flatbrain and New Jersey Women's Club...NOW!

Wow, please, please, go away!

I love reading threads like this, sometimes younger fans need to be reminded wrestling didn't start with David Taylor.

(No slight to DT, love 'em)

Ban,

Like I said, your not that important. But whenever I get the time to check in here, you are always being asked to please leave. By many different people. But you seem to crave the attention thus your constant attempts to appear relevant. Please, seek help.

Ban,

Like I said, your not that important. But whenever I get the time to check in here, you are always being asked to please leave. By many different people. But you seem to crave the attention thus your constant attempts to appear relevant. Please, seek help.

And, guess who ALSO followed my cue? What a surprise!

Cue flat/lamebrain...NOW!