Sign in to follow this  
toptotop69

Penn State redshirts

^^If PSU ended up redshirting Megaludis and Retherford for 2015, yes, it likely would reduce the Nit's chances of winning the 2015 NCAA Tournament, and probably would increase their chances of winning the 2016 NCAA's.

The unbelievable depth in the PSU room makes this a great option. A redshirt would make a lot of sense for both individuals allowing Delgado to graduate, Garrett to outgrow 125, Stieber to graduate, and Port to graduate. PSU fills in with Jordan Conaway at 125 and Zach Beitz or Kade Moss at 141. (All three guys are capable of AA themselves). Megaludis and Retherford return in a year as prohibitive championship favorites.

^^Just guessing here, but, if Retherford redshirts 2015, I do suspect Zack Beitz will stay up at 149 and be in the hunt to start at that weight. Will Jason Nolf redshirt or try to go 141? Assume Nate Morgan, Kade Moss and Mike Waters all aiming at 141. Interesting!

A redshirt would make a lot of sense for both individuals allowing Delgado to graduate, Garrett to outgrow 125...

I'm not so sure that Garrett is any more likely to move up a weight for his senior season than Nico... Maybe Nico will be using his redshirt to bulk up and move up?

so we will have nit bandwagoners telling us all year that they wouldn't have lost if they used their redshirts and say how they decided not to win this year

I'm not a nit bandwagoner (far from it!) but I wouldn't write them off, even with a couple of guys on redshirt!

I highly doubt Cael is throwing in the towel for 2015. A champion like Cael doesn't even know what that means. If Mega and Retherford redshirt, it is probably because it is best for those guys, and Cael still feels the team is strong enough to compete for a title - and get stronger for years to come.

And - with Conaway and the other "backups" in the PSU room, they will likely still be in hunt for the team title. But, with that said - Go Cornell!

I think it would be a good idea for Cael to at least consider. The backups have a likely chance of getting AA honors, and the team should still hold onto at least a top 4 finish I would expect. Red shirting would allow for Megaludis, Gulibon, Retherford, Nolf, McIntosh, Nevills and I'm sure several other studs I'm forgetting about to get in the lineup. That will be a top notch team for sure.

This:

125 - Conaway (Low AA)

133 - Gulibon (Low AA)

141 - Beitz (Low AA)

149 - Alton (3rd - 8th)

157 - Alton (3rd - 8th)

165 - Shakur (Non-Qualifier)

174 - Matt Brown (1st - 5th)

184 - McCutcheon (Low AA)

197 - McIntosh (5th - 8th)

285 - Lawson (Low AA)

Penn State could be looking at a possible 9 All-Americans. Not likely, but all will be ranked near the top 8. My finishes above are *best case* scenario. There is no Penn State next year, with a Ruth and Taylor producing bonus points like an assembly line. The real question, is will Sanderson pull a 'John Smith' and bring someone out of redshirt due to injury? I don't see him doing it if a starter has productivity issues. But if someone in that starting lineup gets hurt, Cael's going to have a hard time justifying starting anyone other than one of those redshirts.

This:

125 - Conaway (Low AA)

133 - Gulibon (Low AA)

141 - Beitz (Low AA)

149 - Alton (3rd - 8th)

157 - Alton (3rd - 8th)

165 - Shakur (Non-Qualifier)

174 - Matt Brown (1st - 5th)

184 - McCutcheon (Low AA)

197 - McIntosh (5th - 8th)

285 - Lawson (Low AA)

Penn State could be looking at a possible 9 All-Americans. Not likely, but all will be ranked near the top 8. My finishes above are *best case* scenario. There is no Penn State next year, with a Ruth and Taylor producing bonus points like an assembly line. The real question, is will Sanderson pull a 'John Smith' and bring someone out of redshirt due to injury? I don't see him doing it if a starter has productivity issues. But if someone in that starting lineup gets hurt, Cael's going to have a hard time justifying starting anyone other than one of those redshirts.

I have a hard time picking either Alton to AA, let alone make 3rd place (granted, I know you said best case). I could also see McIntosh placing higher than 5th potentially, but 197 will be absolutely loaded with talent next year.

^^Just guessing here, but, if Retherford redshirts 2015, I do suspect Zack Beitz will stay up at 149 and be in the hunt to start at that weight. Will Jason Nolf redshirt or try to go 141? Assume Nate Morgan, Kade Moss and Mike Waters all aiming at 141. Interesting!

I believe Nate Morgan is done.

Andrew Alton won't start next year at 149, look for Luke Frey to have his breakout year, (he Beat Beitz at the Scuffle) Maybe Dylan at 157 but I would bet Beitz or Frey takes over the spot by December. Jason Nolf is weighing 170 right now so yes bye bye 141 and 149. 141 might be Kade Moss as he did turn in a nice performance 3 weeks ago. Redshirting Mega and Zain makes total sense. Garrett Hammond might start at 165, Wes Phipps looked tough last year as a Backup at 184. Depth at PSU

so assume the 2014-15 line-up as outlined above (RS Mega, Retherford and the incoming elite recruits) what does following year line-up look like?

125 5th year Mega

133 4th year Gulibon

141 3rd year Zain

149 Beitz, Frey or Kade Mossz

157 Nolf

165 Corey Rasheed

174 Hammond or Law???

184 Bo Nickal

197 MacIntosh 5th year

Hwt. Nevills

There are no guarantees but it worked after Cael's first year when Wright, Ruth and Taylor were all redshirted.

I've been saying right along that they should redshirt everyone. Conaway is a quality replacement for Nico and Retherford has the chance to be a 3 timer after a shirt. In Nico's case, he may sit for the next two years, taking an Olympic Redshirt so Conaway can finish up his eligibility.

As for the incoming freshmen, there are quality starters at all their projected weights so there is no need to put them into the mix. The only exception is Rasheed where Cael has already said the best 165 will go next year.

Keep in mind, these are college kids who do have plans with their lives outside of wrestling. The possibility of redshirts or olympic redshirts also has to take into consideration their academic plans. Not everyone is a James English and is willing to take multiple extra years just for the chance of breaking the starting lineup.

Sure, the graduate schools at PSU are great, but it's hard to tell someone who might not exactly be a starter (most likely meaning they're not getting too substantial of a wrestling scholarship) to spend all that money for extra semesters, when there might be better opportunities else where.