Sign in to follow this  
MadMardigain

Cael Sanderson participating in an MMA Training Session

Roy Jones was born 1-16-69, Couture 6-22-63. The wrestler who was 5 years, 7 months older made the boxer look like a little girl. Anyone who believes a boxer is a serious threat to a wrestler in a fight is, in my opinion, either uninformed or not a realist. I have been in and/or seen MANY fights in real life, and wrestlers ABSOLUTELY DOMINATE BOXERS. As far as money is concerned, Chris Arreolla, long time heavyweight contender who has fought for the world title, has been, and I believe is currently broke.

Wow. Your post just shows you need to do some research before posting such BS. I am so sure you seen many boxers in fights with wrestlers. :lol:

What is your point about Arreola? Many boxers who made way more money than a fringe contender like Chris are broke also.

And if Roy Jones would have fought Couture, he would have knocked him out cold real quick.

Hello, Chasden. Sorry the confusion about Jones and Toney. Many similarities: Toney born 8-24-68, about the same age as Jones, and similar records, Jones 57-8 and Toney 76-9-3. Couture destroyed Toney, not Jones. Yes, I have been in and seen many fights between boxers and wrestlers with the aforementioned results.

Hello, Chasden. Sorry the confusion about Jones and Toney. Many similarities: Toney born 8-24-68, about the same age as Jones, and similar records, Jones 57-8 and Toney 76-9-3. Couture destroyed Toney, not Jones. Yes, I have been in and seen many fights between boxers and wrestlers with the aforementioned results.

Take a look at this:

http://nicholasspyer.files.wordpress.co ... =500&h=329

Couture fought the Toney on the right, not the Toney on the left that accumulated the bulk of the good boxing record. That fight proved zero on how the best boxers would do in MMA but it did prove a lot about a washed up out of shape guy trying his hand in MMA.

My point about Arreola is that some say how much more money boxers make than mma fighters. Maybe at the very top but that's it. As far as his being a fringe fighter, according to wikipedia, he was national champ golden gloves, fought for the world title twice, and has a record of 36-3-0 with 31 KO's.

Take a look at this:

Couture fought the Toney on the right, not the Toney on the left that accumulated the bulk of the good boxing record. That fight proved zero on how the best boxers would do in MMA but it did prove a lot about a washed up out of shape guy trying his hand in MMA.

Maybe if more "boxers" would cross over this would get settled, but they don't. Why don't they?

BTW, Randy Couture is more than 5 years OLDER than James Toney. The fact Toney was an out of shape pug when they fought tells you more about him than it does about Couture, wrestling vs. boxing, or MMA. Too bad the boxers won't cross over and steal the nice paychecks the wrestlers are getting out of UFC.

Take a look at this:

Maybe if more "boxers" would cross over this would get settled, but they don't. Why don't they?

BTW, Randy Couture is more than 5 years OLDER than James Toney. The fact Toney was an out of shape pug when they fought tells you more about him than it does about Couture, wrestling vs. boxing, or MMA. Too bad the boxers won't cross over and steal the nice paychecks the wrestlers are getting out of UFC.

Boxers don't cross over because they don't need to. Their sport offers a professional league. Most martial artists participate in a sport without a major pro league before turning to MMA. That's the case of course for all of the wrestlers.

Ankle Picker, the average boxer makes chump change. Even high end boxers who are not able to draw on their own make relatively nominal pay. Sure, Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiow9sp?) make big money, but guys like Raymundo Beltran and Sharif Bogere, both top 10 lightweights, make hardly anything.

Bogere won the vacant WBA Lightweight title a couple years ago by beating Richard Abril. That fight card drew 1137 patrons to the Hard Rock Cafe. I am assuming the Hard Rock took back at least half those tickets as a rights fee, so the actual number of tickets sold was maybe 550-600. The fight was on showtime, but the PPV numbers were miniscule and most people in the fight business estimated the boxers take at about 50K per fighter. And that amount was Begere's largest purse by far at the time.

Bogere is 25-1. If he could easily mop up UFC fighters then Dana White would be paying him more than 50K. So why not cross over? I get why Mayweather doesn't cross over, but I don't get why a guy like Bogere, for example, would not cross over. Guys like Bogere are a dime a dozen in boxing circles.

Ankle Picker, the average boxer makes chump change. Even high end boxers who are not able to draw on their own make relatively nominal pay. Sure, Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiow9sp?) make big money, but guys like Raymundo Beltran and Sharif Bogere, both top 10 lightweights, make hardly anything.

Bogere won the vacant WBA Lightweight title a couple years ago by beating Richard Abril. That fight card drew 1137 patrons to the Hard Rock Cafe. I am assuming the Hard Rock took back at least half those tickets as a rights fee, so the actual number of tickets sold was maybe 550-600. The fight was on showtime, but the PPV numbers were miniscule and most people in the fight business estimated the boxers take at about 50K per fighter. And that amount was Begere's largest purse by far at the time.

Bogere is 25-1. If he could easily mop up UFC fighters then Dana White would be paying him more than 50K. So why not cross over? I get why Mayweather doesn't cross over, but I don't get why a guy like Bogere, for example, would not cross over. Guys like Bogere are a dime a dozen in boxing circles.

It's not like anybody but the top tier MMA fighters are raking in the dough hand over foot:

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/5/27/57 ... el-cormier

and these numbers are a huge step up from what they were 5 years ago when it wasn't uncommon to see guys on the card making 3-5k with most making under 20k... and that's the UFC. Most MMA guys don't get to that level.

Salaries in both MMA/boxing are based off of drawing power. Winning helps with that but if a boxing champ can't be enough of a draw to make more than 50k on a title fight then he probably won't draw much more interest in MMA. It would make since that a guy that's been boxing all of his life to not take the same money, or in the case of someone making 50k per fight a severe pay cut to roll the dice on a sport that he may not achieve as much success in. If wrestlers had the same income opportunities as boxers by just wrestling there wouldn't be as many wrestlers doing MMA.

The point is there are countless very good boxers living in absolute poverty.

If they could cross over to MMA (which unlike boxing is experiencing explosive growth with the younger generation) and have at least a CHANCE of winning aka making more money you don't think any of them would do try it?

And it shouldn't be any more of a jump than a life long only wrestler deciding to TRY MMA since wrestling and boxing are BOTH integral parts of MMA. Not at all like having a boxer try wrestling or vise verse.

There isn't a single top guy in MMA with a boxing background. Not one has ever crossed over from being a pro boxer to an MMA fighter. Every top MMA fighter has a background in either wrestling or BJJ.

How come the boxers don't just show up and grab all the money??? The reason is simple. They saw what happened when guys lime Royce Gracie fought against boxers and they want no part of it.

or maybe some steer clear because they've gotten into fights with wrestlers and lost but told themselves it didn't count because wrestling during a fight is "cheating".

I actually have heard that excuse a few times during college lol.

or maybe some steer clear because they've gotten into fights with wrestlers and lost but told themselves it didn't count because wrestling during a fight is "cheating".

What is funny is that when the older Gracie started the UFC a lot of boxers showed up in the very beginning, but then Gracie's beat them all up and they stopped showing up. Those guys tapped out faster than anyone. I guess having an elbow or shoulder ripper up would do that to you.

What is funny is that when the older Gracie started the UFC a lot of boxers showed up in the very beginning, but then Gracie's beat them all up and they stopped showing up. Those guys tapped out faster than anyone. I guess having an elbow or shoulder ripper up would do that to you.

Yes and they realized its better for boxers egos (not to mention their earning power in boxing) to say "oh boxers would knock out everyone in the UFC... they don't even know how to do a jab!" rather than get in the cage and prove that unless they get that one magical punch; they will lose.

MMA is the closest thing you can get to a fight in the real world without allowing weapons/eye gouging/whatever.

People call boxing matches fights but if they are fights then so are wrestling matches. In fact don't Eastern Europeans call wrestling matches 'fights' already?