Sign in to follow this  
TBar1977

Valencia's commit this afternoon (link)

I've been in the professional world a long time and never once has the educational ranking of a nationally recognized university come into question.

All colleges teach pretty much the same thing unless you want to specialize in something like the engineering program at MIT it doesn't much matter where you go. Snobs wish to think otherwise but when it comes right down to it if you've got the knowledge you get the job. Math is math, lit is lit, bio is bio, et al.

I'll say the same thing I say to everybody, "It's not where you get your education, it's what you make of it."

I hope it did not sound like I was putting down the school. That was not my intent. I was just trying to answer the question with a response based on known information...I myself went to Hofstra and was very pleased with the education I received.

A lot of Hawk fans saying black and gold on the twitter but I can't see it. What on earth are a couple of California kids, used to the beach, the sun shine, beautiful women, and a world class education going to do in Iowa? Cornel wont surprise me nor will ASU. I'm thinking Zeke's going to build something out west.

Cletus what Hawk fans do you follow on twitter that were saying that? I follow A LOT of Hawkeye wrestling fans I've met over the last couple years and every beat writer/blogger for them and I don't think I saw one person predict them to be Hawks. A couple said they 'Wish they would be Hawks" but not one individual made that prediction on my feed anyway.

I don't follow anyone on twitter, Hawk fans or otherwise but on my Pappy facebook page, he had linked to a discussion where twitter posts were added and I must have seen 4 or 5 different Hawk fans claiming to have an inside track to the Valencias. Of course much of social media you have to take with a grain of salt. I'll see if I can track down some of the names. I can't recall to save my gizzard!

A lot of Hawk fans saying black and gold on the twitter but I can't see it. What on earth are a couple of California kids, used to the beach, the sun shine, beautiful women, and a world class education going to do in Iowa? Cornel wont surprise me nor will ASU. I'm thinking Zeke's going to build something out west.

ASU

Sunshine? Check

Beautiful women? Check

Beach? Well they've got sand.

World-class education? Oops.

ASU

Sunshine? Check

Beautiful women? Check

Beach? Well they've got sand.

World-class education? Oops.

Hmm.... 142nd out of more more than 2500 colleges and Universities. I am pretty sure that is better than top 10%.

I am guessing you either didn't go to a top tier college, or if you did were one of the ones who got passed through somehow.

No I am not an ASU alum. I do root for wrestling and wrestling programs trying to get better. It is hard to sustain a marginal sport on only a few legitimate competitive programs. But that also may be above your head given your issues with math and all.

Anyone know how the academics at ASU are? I mean, the girls are hot, the parties are great, it's in a prime location, is heavily endowed, they have the Sunkist Kids club there, and they just got Zeke Jones as the head coach.. seems like a great college choice for most kids if the academics are on par.

I stopped reading at 'the girls are hot'

Great to see that the west coast has a viable program again. It's annoying that whenever a kid commits anywhere other than Harvard/Cornell, people start ragging on the academics....At a big state school like ASU, the top students are as good as the best anywhere else.

Anyone know how the academics at ASU are? I mean, the girls are hot, the parties are great, it's in a prime location, is heavily endowed, they have the Sunkist Kids club there, and they just got Zeke Jones as the head coach.. seems like a great college choice for most kids if the academics are on par.

It is only one publication's opinion, but U.S. News & World Reports ranks them as the #142 National University, a spot they share with the likes of Oklahoma State, Oregon State, and Rutgers.

In terms of where they fall against fellow Pac-12 schools, here is the breakdown:

*Stanford: #5 National

*Oregon State: #142 National

*Cal Poly: #9 Western Regional University

*Boise State: #65 Western Regional University

*Cal Bakersfield: #90 Western Regional University

If you consider that Cornell, Penn State, and Nebraska were also believed to be in the running, here is how they ranked:

*Cornell: #16 National

*Penn State: #37 National

*Nebraska: #101 National

btw thats Rutgers Newark at #142. New Brunswick is the flagship campus and its ranked at #69, along with Minnesota and VTech.

was actually surprised to see Rutgers Newark ranked that high.

I don't follow anyone on twitter, Hawk fans or otherwise but on my Pappy facebook page, he had linked to a discussion where twitter posts were added and I must have seen 4 or 5 different Hawk fans claiming to have an inside track to the Valencias. Of course much of social media you have to take with a grain of salt. I'll see if I can track down some of the names. I can't recall to save my gizzard!

Eh, not a big deal, was just curious about it because the sentiment I had seen was so heavy in ASU's favor and none for the Hawks. Don't waste any time on it.

Eh, not a big deal, was just curious about it because the sentiment I had seen was so heavy in ASU's favor and none for the Hawks. Don't waste any time on it.

----

I follow the Iowa forum pretty closely and while some were hopeful, no one was saying it was a sure thing.

Btw, Cletus is one of a few posters that regularly trash Iowa. Anything he posts about Iowa should be taken with a big grain of salt.

Back then in 70s to 90s, many went to Iowa for only one reason - Dan Gable. Didn't care for other things except for education. There were quite several Walkons. Iowa hired right dude back then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

btw thats Rutgers Newark at #142. New Brunswick is the flagship campus and its ranked at #69, along with Minnesota and VTech.

was actually surprised to see Rutgers Newark ranked that high.

Thanks for the correction...Sloppy reporting on my part. I am very familiar with Rutgers' main campus as I took a group of 50 juniors on a campus visit as a part of my guidance internship...Simple case of not looking closely enough.

To be honest, I should have known better. #142 seemed low...Complete carelessness on my part.