Sign in to follow this  
ElChangodeAmor

Question Re: Obannon trial and wrestling

So if the courts decide that athletes should be compensated for their likeness and kids are then allowed to be paid, would this possibly mean that Aaron Pico COULD end up wrestling in college if he met his goals in 2020?

This of course is a strict hypothetical of course...

So if the courts decide that athletes should be compensated for their likeness and kids are then allowed to be paid, would this possibly mean that Aaron Pico COULD end up wrestling in college if he met his goals in 2020?

This of course is a strict hypothetical of course...

I do not see how the O'Bannon case, by itself, would result in your hypothethical. Unless I am mistaken, this case is about the NCAA's rules preventing players from being paid for use of their names, images or likenesses by the NCAA, primarily in live broadcasts, rebroadcasts, highlight clips and video games.

So, I think it is limited to the plaintiffs wanting to get paid by the NCAA for the NCAA's use of their names, images or likenesses. I do not think it deals with NCAA eligibility rules (i.e. ineligibile if they profit from use of their names, images or likenesses outside of the NCAA).

It is about the NCAA continuing to use their likeness AFTER their college years.

A fair trade when they are playing and in college. After that time the schools and NCAA should pay if they want to use them. They are no longer students.

Per ESPN "Ed O'Bannon, the former UCLA basketball player, and other plaintiffs are asking U.S. District Judge Claudia Wilken for an injunction that would allow athletes to sell the rights to their own images in television broadcasts and rebroadcasts. That trial began Monday in federal court in California." EA sports already reached a 40 million settlement and the NCAA reached a 20 million settlement today.

I believe the original poster was alluding to PIco getting paid prior to entering college and not having that affect his eligibility since he was getting paid.