Sign in to follow this  
superold

Edinboro: 2015 NCAA team champions?

http://news.theopenmat.com/2014/03/divi ... ng-points/

According to the link above, Edinboro returns the most team points for next year's season. It seems that they are in a great position next year to bring home the team title. I've mentioned in earlier threads that I didn't believe that Flynn was a great coach because he never took his team to ncaa titles like Cael, Brands, Smith, etc. Well, this is the best chance Edinboro has ever had to take home a team title. Flynn has not got the job done in his first 16 years, but this year just may be different. This could be a special year for Flynn and Edinboro!

So, who believes that Edinboro will bring home the team title next year? What will this do for Flynn's legacy if he wins? What about if he fails?

I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Edinboro will not win an NCAA team championship next year and Flynn is an outstanding coach.

Ohio State will be the team to beat

So you predict Edinboro to finish in 2nd place?

You do realize If Edinboro fails to win next year, that would be Flynn's 17th year as head coach without a team title? That's far from outstanding imo.

^^Well I'd say that currently the four BIG DOG Div I wrestling programs in the east are Penn State, Cornell, Edinboro and Virginia Tech, and Yes still hoping/looking for three of them to win the NCAA tournament. Certainly not an easy task. Very impressed with Penn State the past four years.

^^Well I'd say that currently the four BIG DOG Div I wrestling programs in the east are Penn State, Cornell, Edinboro and Virginia Tech, and Yes still hoping/looking for three of them to win the NCAA tournament. Certainly not an easy task. Very impressed with Penn State the past four years.

Maybe your hopes for one of those 3 remaining teams will come true next year. Edinboro appears to be in great position to bring home the 1st place trophy next year for the first time.

Do you think they'll get the job done Stove_Pipe?

Although I like rooting for the underdog in Edinboro, I don't see how they'll get by the Top Tier teams from the Big 10. OSU is primed to have a monster year, Penn State will be tough, even if they redshirt Mega and Retherford. Iowa and mighty Minny always reload.

So, to think that Edinboro could win the team title is a bit of a stretch. Although I'd love to see them do well, I think they'll fall short... like 2-4 places short.

Considering only 4 teams have won a team title in the last 25 years, with coaches by the names of Cael Sanderson, Tom Brands, J Robinson, John Smith, Jim Zalesky, Dan Gable, and Joe Seay, you are not giving many great coaches a fair shake. Just because you do not win a team title, does not make you a bad coach.

Flynn has produced great results with the resources that he is given. They may return the most NCAA points, but other teams have the ability to throw in new NCAA points because of their depth. Edinboro's best shot is to crack the podium, which I hope they can do. National title very unlikely, but I would certainly welcome in.

This does not take away from Flynn being a great coach DESPITE never winning a national title.

Although I like rooting for the underdog in Edinboro, I don't see how they'll get by the Top Tier teams from the Big 10. OSU is primed to have a monster year, Penn State will be tough, even if they redshirt Mega and Retherford. Iowa and mighty Minny always reload.

So, to think that Edinboro could win the team title is a bit of a stretch. Although I'd love to see them do well, I think they'll fall short... like 2-4 places short.

Why is it "a bit of a stretch" if they are returning the most team points for next year?

someone is feeling insecure and keeps going after Flynn which is funny bc it just makes more people realize how great of a coach Flynn is which will just help him more

I guess distracting from the altons regression is superolds go to more

Because you have teams like Ohio State having studs coming off redshirt years and new recruits (Steiber, Snyder, Dicamillo, Jordan) and teams that simply reload with their depth (ex: Pfarr can step in and AA for Minnesota).

Edinboro will bring back Port, Schopp, and Habat, add some points from Avery, Mines, and Matthews. Where are you going to make up a lot of other points? The teams that win will have 6-8 AA's scoring.

Considering only 4 teams have won a team title in the last 25 years, with coaches by the names of Cael Sanderson, Tom Brands, J Robinson, John Smith, Jim Zalesky, Dan Gable, and Joe Seay, you are not giving many great coaches a fair shake.

I disagree with this assertion. I believe I'm giving every coach a fair shake. I'm holding them all to the same standards. I don't believe that there are any great coaches outside of the names you just mentioned above.

Just because you do not win a team title, does not make you a great coach.

I also disagree with this assertion. I don't believe you can be a great coach without ncaa titles on your resume.

Flynn has produced great results with the resources that he is given. They may return the most NCAA points, but other teams have the ability to throw in new NCAA points because of their depth

Edinboro also has the ability to throw in new NCAA points. I believe that they just got a pretty good transfer actually.

Edinboro's best shot is to crack the podium, which I hope they can do. National title very unlikely, but I would certainly welcome in.

They are returning the most points of any team in the nation. In light of that fact, I believe we should hold them to national championship standards.

This does not take away from Flynn being a great coach DESPITE never winning a national title.

I say that Flynn is still in the process of trying to prove that he is a great coach. I don't think that he is yet.

someone is feeling insecure and keeps going after Flynn which is funny bc it just makes more people realize how great of a coach Flynn is which will just help him more

I guess distracting from the altons regression is superolds go to more

I'm not going after Flynn BRGUY. I'm just pointing out that Flynn has a great chance to bring home his first team title next year. His team returns more points than any other team in the nation. A national team championship should not be out of the question.

And what do the Altons have to do with anything?

Because you have teams like Ohio State having studs coming off redshirt years and new recruits (Steiber, Snyder, Dicamillo, Jordan) and teams that simply reload with their depth (ex: Pfarr can step in and AA for Minnesota).

Edinboro will bring back Port, Schopp, and Habat, add some points from Avery, Mines, and Matthews. Where are you going to make up a lot of other points? The teams that win will have 6-8 AA's scoring.

It's up to Flynn to get a few more AAs out of his lineup. I don't see why Flynn can't build up a couple Pfarrs of his own. He's helped Port, Schopp, and Habat get to AA level, so it shouldn't be unreasonable to expect him to do it for others.

yup cael leaves a place he says he cant win and goes somewhere with more resources and he becomes a champion and is now great but Flynn stays at edinboro and builds top teams regularly without running to places with more resources and he cant be great

maybe the altons are happy with their great coach and all the greatness he has given them but I think they would have done better had they gone to edinboro

but im done with your trolling you just dig for post to bring up Flynn and try to make cael look great

^^Thanks for the reply. YES, the 4 BIG DOGS in the east are Penn State, Cornell, Edinboro and Virginia Tech. Penn State, the past 80+ years has won the NCAA tournament five times. That's excellent imo. YES, I certainly can see the other three big dogs in the east - Cornell, Edinboro and Virgina Tech - winning the NCAA tournament sometime in the near term. East's Big 4 are excellent projrams.

At the 2013 NCAA Tournament the Big 4 of the East tallied-

PSU first with 109.5 points;

Edinboro fifth with 62 points;

Cornell seventh with 53 points; and

Virginia Tech eighth with 49 points.

Darn good jobs by PSU, Cornell, Edinboro and VT!

Considering only 4 teams have won a team title in the last 25 years, with coaches by the names of Cael Sanderson, Tom Brands, J Robinson, John Smith, Jim Zalesky, Dan Gable, and Joe Seay, you are not giving many great coaches a fair shake.

I disagree with this assertion. I believe I'm giving every coach a fair shake. I'm holding them all to the same standards. I don't believe that there are any great coaches outside of the names you just mentioned above.

That's an interesting perspective. You believe that winning a D1 title is a necessary prerequisite to being a "great" coach? Also, is winning a NCAA title sufficient in and of itself to be a "great" coach in your view?

yup cael leaves a place he says he cant win and goes somewhere with more resources and he becomes a champion and is now great but Flynn stays at edinboro and builds top teams regularly without running to places with more resources and he cant be great

Cael went to Penn State and became a great coach; I'm not sure what's wrong with that. Don't forget that before Cael made it to Penn State, he still had higher team finishes that Flynn has ever had at ISU. Cael has outperformed Flynn at two different jobs BRGUY.

Flynn "regularly builds top teams". I'm afraid we have different definitions of "top".

maybe the altons are happy with their great coach and all the greatness he has given them but I think they would have done better had they gone to edinboro

The Alton bros felt differently.

but im done with your trolling you just dig for post to bring up Flynn and try to make cael look great

I'm not trolling. Maybe it makes you feel better to convince yourself that I am, but I'm not. All my posts on this thread are serious. Why is that so hard to believe?

That's an interesting perspective. You believe that winning a D1 title is a necessary prerequisite to being a "great" coach? Also, is winning a NCAA title sufficient in and of itself to be a "great" coach in your view]

Bac, I don't wish to go down that route here since I already had long discussions about this in the past. That question easily leads to more questions by others and the thread gets hijacked.

Ultimately, I believe you need to win ncaa team titles on your resume to be a considered a great coach. I don't consider guys without titles worthy of being called great. Jmo.

Super-insecure said: "I don't believe you can be a great coach without ncaa titles on your resume."

This is probably one of the most ignorant, oblivious, and ill-informed statements I have ever read.

Question: Who do you think would win in a match, you, Super-insecure or LI Marty?

It is a legitimate question. Please answer it.

Super-insecure said: "I don't believe you can be a great coach without ncaa titles on your resume."

This is probably one of the most ignorant, oblivious, and ill-informed statements I have ever read.

Question: Who do you think would win in a match, you, Super-insecure or LI Marty?

It is a legitimate question. Please answer it.

If you have nothing meaningful to add, I'd appreciate it if you stopped posting here leshishmore. I think that you are a little too emotionally involved in all of this.

Hey Stove I thought UVA was the best team in Virginia. Doesn't they have the most success?

Anyone who doesn't say Flynn is one of the great coaches is off their rocker.

I'm not off my rocker Dutch.

So do you believe that Edinboro will finally bring home the ncaa team title next year?