Sign in to follow this  
greenmt.

Pico= rolling the dice

What Pico is doing is unbelieveable and dangerous. I'm talking about his decision to skip high school wrestling and education and completely bypass college. He signed an endorsement deal and is considered a professional athlete and can't participate in college sports anymore. He's as good as any 17 year old as this country has ever seen but his eggs are in one basket. He travels the world for competition and trains at least 4 hours per day, which doesn't leave much time for your high school education. I'm sure he will graduate with an online diploma from high school but that's the educational easy way out. I hope he wins three Olympic gold medals but we've heard of horror stories (from other sports), where the next young phenom had a bad injury and now their 30 years old and broke. He will have an online diploma from high school and he won't have a college degree, so finding a job won't be easy. Sometimes stories like these pan out, the vast majority of the time they don't. Kids stay in high school, get a college degree and be a champion in the classroom, as well as on the mat. We all know that is the highest percentage for success.

some facts

Pico will not have some "online" degree. He is finishing his high school course work ONLINE, through the same school he attended his freshman year - St. John Bosco.

Pico WILL have a college degree. (Cejudo does as well, if you're curious). It is a part of his contract that his tuition is paid IN FULL, at a time he enrolls.

Now, please feel free to return to your regularly scheduled ignorance.

Ignorance? So your telling me you would promote this idea, to a nation of kids to stop going to school while your in 10th grade? How many thousands of basketball,football and hockey players drop out of school early only to be broke and homeless before their 30? It happens thousands of times every year, I wish him the best and I hope his gamble pays off for him.

Last I checked, one can get a college degree without a wrestling scholarship. Shocking I know, but I got mine that way. Heck, even Cejudo, with lots less resources than Pico has, did.

But kudo's to a nice troll thread.

Oh, and I call BS on you wishing him the best.... you would relish the opportunity to say "I told you so" over the well being of a kid.

sgallan. Sounds like you have a man crush on Pico. well sorry to inform you he's only 17, so slow your roll.

Aaaawwww.... That's so cute! You resorted to a homosexual innuendo insult to attempt to mitigate sgallan's comment. AAAWWWWW! That is just So.... CUTE! *pinches greenmt's cheeks*

sgallan. Sounds like you have a man crush on Pico. well sorry to inform you he's only 17, so slow your roll.

Nah, you are the one starting a thread about wishing a 17 teen year old kid to fail. Talk about issues.....

Aaaawwww.... That's so cute! You resorted to a homosexual innuendo insult to attempt to mitigate sgallan's comment. AAAWWWWW! That is just So.... CUTE! *pinches greenmt's cheeks*

Don't do that..... his closet is a tough one to come out of! Have some mercy!!

Ignorance? So your telling me you would promote this idea, to a nation of kids to stop going to school while your in 10th grade? How many thousands of basketball,football and hockey players drop out of school early only to be broke and homeless before their 30? It happens thousands of times every year, I wish him the best and I hope his gamble pays off for him.

I don't know the details of Pico's deal and obviously you don't either but if what they are saying is true about the provision that his college education is paid for then yes.

The basketball, football and hockey players that are broke and homeless after dropping out of school don't have a college degree. You seem to be twisting the facts or ignoring them all together to make it seem as though the kid will end his academic career with only an online GED from a generic source or worse no diploma at all and just a 10th grade education. In reality even if Pico falls short of his athletic goals at worst he will have college provided for. Most parents wish their kid's had that guaranteed by the time they were in 10th grade, athlete or not.

My 2 cents. troll on

I don't really think greenmt. is trolling here. I am sure many people share his belief that high schoolers should not become professional athletes. You hear that in other sports quite often. I definitely disagree with it though. Let the young man chase his dreams. He can always go back to college later. With a work ethic like his, he will be successful in the future no matter what path he takes.

Nah, he is trolling, this debate was played out for years with Cejudo.

FWIW, pretty much every human advancement is/was a roll of the dice. If it wasn't for those folks we would still be hunting and gathering some where.

Yes ignorance. Pico's situation is nothing like the "thousands of basketball, football and hockey players" who drop out of school early.

I must say i am enjoying all the concern about Pico's future, but does anyone ever look at all the tennis players down in Florida at these academies where all they do is play tennis. Or what about golf or gymnastics?

Aaron is doing what is best for him, and getting to see the world while he does it. Real life experience can not be taught in the class room.

What is he missing? The lesson of hard work? Time management? Dedication? Social skills?

Spend 2 minutes talking to the kid and then come post about all he appears to be lacking.

It is a roll of the dice for his sponsor's but sounds like very little gamble for Pico. Personally I have only see his matches on video great HS wrestler but for the talk of best HS wrestler ever in US far from it again IMO. Pico is way over hyped going to be very hard for him to live up to other's expectation. I wish he would of finished out his HS career and then wrestled in college for my own selfish reasons of want to see him wrestle other than that good luck to him just like any other young gun.

Pico is living a dream. He is so fortunate to have the option of going non conventional due to his immense wrestling talents, commitment to hard work and dedication, as well as a support system in place to help and assist him as needed. What an opportunity to travel the world, experience different cultures, learn from the best on the planet, and all while still getting his education and making money. And especially during an age where dangers persist around every turn and corner, Aaron Pico has a structure and balance in place designed to shield him from those dangers and guide hi toward success. I can only hope others are able to follow his lead and experience the similar journey.

Pico 2016

My hope is he at least knows the difference between your and you're.

My hope is he at least knows the difference between your and you're.

That and the guy seems to think the only way to get an education is via a wrestling scholarship in college. Which would be news to the 99.99% of people who get a college education without a wrestling scholarship.

I don't know enough about the situation to really comment but it sounds like the kid has a pretty good support system. That said,I don't see where GM is trolling. It seems like a topic worth discussing. He is actually saying a lot of positive things about the kid, just that he thinks the move is a little risky for a kid.

Pico is fine.

He DOES have an amazing support system.

He also has a much higher level of intelligence, both IQ and EQ (Emotional Intelligence / Quotient) than many college wrestlers and grads I have seen.

The way he handles both winning and losing should be used as a model for many kids--many of those still in college.

He and his family made a decision. It is their choice.

Will he be successful?... most likely.

Could he fail (whatever that means?)? Sure.

But I think we simply need to wish for the best... respect his family's choices... and encourage him as much as possible.

We all wish we had a son as talented and capable as Pico.

Pico is fine.

He DOES have an amazing support system.

He also has a much higher level of intelligence, both IQ and EQ (Emotional Intelligence / Quotient) than many college wrestlers and grads I have seen.

The way he handles both winning and losing should be used as a model for many kids--many of those still in college.

He and his family made a decision. It is their choice.

Will he be successful?... most likely.

Could he fail (whatever that means?)? Sure.

But I think we simply need to wish for the best... respect his family's choices... and encourage him as much as possible.

We all wish we had a son as talented and capable as Pico.

How do you know he has a higher intelligence, both IQ and EQ (Emotional Intelligence) than anyone? This is why the hype on this kid is so crazy. He is a very good HS wrestler he has yet to do anything that has not been done before as far as I know. I look forward to seeing him succeed but he is not the savior of USA wrestling.

I was concerned when Pico announced his intentions. However when it became known that should anything happen, win lose or draw and he didn't set foot on a wrestling mat again his college tuition was going to be taken care of, well that sealed it. Before that was announced I thought he might have a good shot by going WCAP with the Army because he would get something to fall back on, both a job and an education if he wanted it. Is Pico taking a chance still? Yes in some ways. Cejudo didn't go the traditional route either, but it paid off for him and he didn't have the same type of support around him that Pico has. From what it seems, Pico has his head in the right place, and even if he wins an Olympic gold or goes nowhere on the senior level like Cam Jones, he'll still be able to get an education and has some great memories about being involved with wrestling.

Pico's career will be in mma, wrestling, coaching ... whatever else, what does it matter? Very few people figure out what they want to do with their lives and completely dedicate themselves to that endeavor therefore never achieve great success. Pico is making that sacrifice so he can be one of the people who achieve true greatness, good for him.

YOu can get back to your regularly scheduled sheepy moment about college etc ... cause if you think that's what gets you to true success then you are a fool. It's picking a path, figuring out what it is early, and completely dedicating to it. Period. Not many have that level of drive, commitment, willingness to not accept no, or not play the "sheepy" path.

Pico's career will be in mma, wrestling, coaching ... whatever else, what does it matter? Very few people figure out what they want to do with their lives and completely dedicate themselves to that endeavor therefore never achieve great success. Pico is making that sacrifice so he can be one of the people who achieve true greatness, good for him.

YOu can get back to your regularly scheduled sheepy moment about college etc ... cause if you think that's what gets you to true success then you are a fool. It's picking a path, figuring out what it is early, and completely dedicating to it. Period. Not many have that level of drive, commitment, willingness to not accept no, or not play the "sheepy" path.

Exactly, most people who criticize this are vanilla loving, take the safe path, types. Doing or attempting things extraordinary is outside their DNA. People are hardwired to take the 'safe' route. Luckily there are those few who will think 'outside the box', take challenges, and move things forward, instead of them becoming stagnant. Actually, this was the mentality of those who came too, and then pioneered this country.