Sign in to follow this  
greenmt.

Pico= rolling the dice

Thanks for this. Could not agree more.

The people SO against PICO for making a decision outside of what THEY think is the "Correct" way to plan life are the same people who drive the exact speed limit and stay in the LEFT lane on interstate highways just to SHOW other people what the "true" LAWS are ("Hey... why should I move over Jim-bob... I is doing the speed limit...")

Go PICO... go... and don't look back.

Isn't Pico right around .500 or just a shade better this year on the junior circuit? I know he has 3 or 4 losses not sure what his win total is.

troll alert! Proceed at your own risk! Be aware all responses merely validate troll-ishness.

At last check all major professional sports were allowing athletes to compete and paying them without finishing college and in some cases without finishing high school (MLB, Nascar, etc.).

[q] Isn't Pico right around .500 or just a shade better this year on the junior circuit? I know he has 3 or 4 losses not sure what his win total is.[/q]

troll alert! Proceed at your own risk! Be aware all responses merely validate troll-ishness.

:-)

[q] Isn't Pico right around .500 or just a shade better this year on the junior circuit? I know he has 3 or 4 losses not sure what his win total is.[/q]

:-)

maybe a little trollish but I am actually curious now what is Picos record this year on the junior circuit?

I must say i am enjoying all the concern about Pico's future, but does anyone ever look at all the tennis players down in Florida at these academies where all they do is play tennis. Or what about golf or gymnastics?

Aaron is doing what is best for him, and getting to see the world while he does it. Real life experience can not be taught in the class room.

What is he missing? The lesson of hard work? Time management? Dedication? Social skills?

Spend 2 minutes talking to the kid and then come post about all he appears to be lacking.

These Florida tennis academies, these student/athletes receive a very good education.

He is a great talent. He will win a gold in freestyle for USA in 2016.

As far as MMA goes there is big money there. However brain injury evidence similar to boxers is starting to emerge. Also add in choke outs. Many of these athletes will have dementia in there 60's and 70's.

For selfish reasons. I would liked him to wrestle in college. Would loved to see him wrestle at NCAA's. But he chose a different path. Would love to see him win GOLD. He may, but it's not easy and who knows what will happen. My bet is he doesn't win Gold in 2016. Lot better shot in 2020. As for dementia, many MMA fighters, will start that realm in the 50's. They will have moments of brilliance but 10 minutes later be unsure where their phone is, searching for hours till their lovely wife comes home and finds it for him.

How do you know he has a higher intelligence, both IQ and EQ (Emotional Intelligence) than anyone? This is why the hype on this kid is so crazy. He is a very good HS wrestler he has yet to do anything that has not been done before as far as I know. I look forward to seeing him succeed but he is not the savior of USA wrestling.

"How do you know he has a higher intelligence, both IQ and EQ than anyone?"

Well that is easy.  First, I said: "He also has a much higher level of intelligence, both IQ and EQ (Emotional Intelligence / Quotient) than many college wrestlers and grads I have seen."

How do I know?  I work with college students and grads on both IQ and EQ.  I see how they speak and converse in public settings. I witness how they interact in important interpersonal encounters. I observe how articulate they are, I watch how they handle success and defeat.  These are just a few areas.

Pico, from all of my observations over the years, does, as I said, display both a high IQ and EQ greater than many college wrestlers and grads I have seen.  It is my observation... and many others. 

If you wish to put the kid down and disagree with the conclusion that he displays a relatively high IQ and EQ for his age, well... that is your choice.  If you do, I am not sure how much your IQ or EQ helped you reach that decision.

Pico, from all of my observations over the years, does, as I said, display both a high IQ and EQ greater than many college wrestlers and grads I have seen.  It is my observation... and many others. 

Have you really talked to "many others" about Pico's IQ and EQ? Could you name some of the college wrestlers that you believe Pico is much smarter than?

If you wish to put the kid down and disagree with the conclusion that he displays a relatively high IQ and EQ for his age, well... that is your choice

Leshishmore, it seems to me that you are adding a qualifier to your original statement by saying "for his age". I thought you were saying that Pico had a higher level of intelligence than many college students and grads. Wouldn't those college students and grads be a few years older than him? Some even in their 20s?

And exactly how would it be a put down to disagree with the conclusion that Pico displays a relatively high IQ and EQ for his age? I personally don't see much evidence that strongly suggests that Pico's IQ is any higher or lower than the average kid his age.

If you do, I am not sure how much your IQ or EQ helped you reach that decision

Just out of curiosity, how much of your IQ or EQ helped you reach your decision on Pico's IQ and EQ?

Leshismore you have no clue how intelligent or high of a IQ Pico has compared to anyone that is my point!  Just because I disagree with you does not mean I am anti Pico.  I have not bought into all the hype on him but I want him to win gold when competing for the USA.

Of course he is taking a big gamble, but so what?  Life in general is a big risk, maybe he will pan out as the next big thing and maybe he will strike out.  I haven't seen enough video of him to make any kind of assessment of whether he is over hyped or not.

What exactly is the gamble you guys are talking about?  Seems like a no brainer to me.   The kid graduates early from high school, he travels the world, he competes in the sport he loves and excels in, and college is paid for as well.   

I'd think other athletes from all sports would be hoping to land a similar deal.   

Someone please explain the downfalls in the deal.  

So what if Pico becomes a non-traditional student and finishes high school online?  So what if he drops out... He isn't our kid.  

Even if his contract(s) do not pay for education, once again so what?  If the unthinkable happens, and he is a 20 year old with no wrestling future, so what?  There is nothing preventing him from resuming his life, finishing school, getting a job etc.

There may be a handful of kids that pursue a sport and never make it, only to find themselves with no education and no plan.  So what?.  To quote Judge Schmales, "The world needs ditch diggers to."--all kidding aside, the op makes it sound like if you didn't finish high school in the traditional sense, or didn't go to college your life is over.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  Yes, the pathway to riches, or an upper middle class income may take some extra effort or time if you drop out etc.  but, anyone can climb out of where they are. If the kid flames out and has nothing at 23 years of age, so what?  Get a job, even a crappy job and start taking classes.  Or, learn a trade.... But back to my first point, he isn't our kid.  Let the Pico's make their decisions, and whatever happens, happens.  If the dream dies, so what, they'll move on. Plenty of people screwed off or screwed up and righted the ship later.