Sign in to follow this  
greenmt.

Pico= rolling the dice

Second Year Aerospace Engineering student here.. maybe I can contribute to this. 

First of all, don't equate any athlete's desire for success in his/her sport with that of their academics. Understand that people care more about some things than they do about other things, and claiming that they're passion for success is uniformly distributed across all activities is simply too assumptive. In fact, anyone who has ever known a high-level athlete knows that contrary is more than often true. I attend Rutgers University - recent inductee into the Big 10 - and cannot count how many times I've heard of cases in which athletes devise tactics to absolve themselves of college's educational obligations. This is understandable to a degree when considering the enormous egos and expectations established by these athletes. It's hard to regress from the hot-shot high school life when college proposes so many new toys and ways to have fun - in such a case who'd wanna be bogged down by school work? I'm not saying it's reasonable to ignore school work as many athletes do, but it's not difficult to arrive at a set of reasons why they do. As a devoted scientist I hate to bring up anecdotal evidence to support my claim, but I went to school with Johnny Sebastian and Nick Suriano at Bergen Catholic. I'd interviewed Johnny and written an article on him for the HS newspaper. Both were exceedingly talented and hard-working wrestlers, and nonetheless friendly people. But neither were they outstandingly, nor even slightly, considered to be intelligent or hard-working students by their peers, simply because they had neither the time nor patience for school. That's the commitment one must make when participating in such a high-level sport, and such is the reason why I don't advocate that just anyone go into wrestling because it simply won't adequately gauge everyone's natural abilities and desires given the sacrifice required to be just decent at it. Anyhow, we shouldn't assume any greater intelligence of Pico just because he is freakishly good at wrestling and even freakishlierly humble ... on-camera that is. Anyhow, my point has been made there. 

Secondly, I don't deny that Pico foregoing HS and College Wrestling in favor of freestyle will greatly strengthen his competitive vibe overseas. In his case, it may be the best option simply because he has proven himself as an international contender before that decision was made public. But the general notion that its always excusable for high-school phenoms to forego a pure high school and college education in favor of homeschooling is flawed, and the defense that one can just pick up a college degree with a side of fries afterwards is dismissive of blatant facts. First of all, quality education is almost always had in the physical presence of teachers and colleagues, in an academic environment that facilitates learning to the highest degree. You simply can't get that at home. I have no doubts(though I don't know for sure) that Pico's course load is greatly lessened because of his more immediate obligations, and that there isn't great emphasis placed on him actually understanding what was taught, as opposed to him just being able to run through the homework in time for practice. I have absolutely no proof of this, but it seems logical considering how truly difficult it would be to balance a full-time high school education, and a full-time wrestling career. Very few are able to handle even just one of the two. To assume that Pico is just as dedicated to education, which serves no direct purpose in the face of his wrestling success. as he is to wrestling is - to me - not the most rational conclusion. 

And about that post-wrestling college degree... Do you people understand how difficult is it to obtain a degree in mostly anything? You don't just "quit" wrestling and do something else.. there's undoubtedly a deeply emotional transition one must make from being one of the presumed best in the world at something, to becoming an ordinary everyday average joe. This jarring change in relative popularity has been discussed time and time again on this forum - How certain high school phenoms are unable to perform in college, under the new and unique pressures accompanied by simply not being the best in the room anymore. Adopting the beloved "if you're not the best you're nothing" mentality means risking mental  and emotional turbulence in the likely case that you simply won't be as good as you want to be. Think of living under the "the losers are the other people" philosophy of Tom Brands for 4 years, only to realize that you are inevitably one of the others that you trained so hard to punish and defeat all of your life. It must be jarring to say the least. Sure, I come from the biased background of engineering - which is statistically the most difficult major in college - but even lesser difficult fine-arts degrees take immense amounts of work and dedication, without even coupling in the difficulty of obtaining a job nowadays. One of Rutgers' most notoriously difficult undergrad courses is Expository Writing - touting a particularly high failure rate, though I believe the rumors are largely unrepresentative of student's laziness that results in bad grades. Try taking Integral Calculus or Thermodynamics... Anyway, imagine an emotionally jarred former wrestler having to put up with failing multiple papers, being constantly accompanied by that feeling of defeat and loss. You don't simply switch off that "winning" philosophy. It stays with you for a while. And every major has one of those Holy S**t this is hard classes. 

Now, this can be negated by partnering a lighter college load, with wrestling - as many college's do. And it can produce good results... Look at the Magic Man.. Graduating with a Masters Degree in an easy field, but at least a field nevertheless. But that's the product of balancing academics with athletics - something that HS Phenoms will never get if they skip out on college.  

My post may be in the running for longest of the year by now - and I have much more to say - but I've been silent much too often in light of this argument.  

So what if Pico becomes a non-traditional student and finishes high school online?  So what if he drops out... He isn't our kid.  

Even if his contract(s) do not pay for education, once again so what?  If the unthinkable happens, and he is a 20 year old with no wrestling future, so what?  There is nothing preventing him from resuming his life, finishing school, getting a job etc.

There may be a handful of kids that pursue a sport and never make it, only to find themselves with no education and no plan.  So what?.  To quote Judge Schmales, "The world needs ditch diggers to."--all kidding aside, the op makes it sound like if you didn't finish high school in the traditional sense, or didn't go to college your life is over.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  Yes, the pathway to riches, or an upper middle class income may take some extra effort or time if you drop out etc.  but, anyone can climb out of where they are. If the kid flames out and has nothing at 23 years of age, so what?  Get a job, even a crappy job and start taking classes.  Or, learn a trade.... But back to my first point, he isn't our kid.  Let the Pico's make their decisions, and whatever happens, happens.  If the dream dies, so what, they'll move on. Plenty of people screwed off or screwed up and righted the ship later.

Post of the day.  Very well said.  

I don't agree with bman's post at all. None of us are actively trying to make a change in Aaron Pico's life.. or "play the parents" as you're suggesting. We're simply deliberating over the sensibility of his decision, and that is completely warranted... I never understood the mentality behind suppressing discussion on a public forum. 

Edited by Crusader2017

A few thoughts.

1] "the general notion that its always excusable for high-school phenoms to forego a pure high school and college education in favor of homeschooling is flawed,"

You should add... "FOR ME." 

Also, "War and Peace" is a great book... just not on a wrestling forum.

2] "We're simply deliberating over the sensibility of his decision"

Do that all you wish.  No person is "suppressing" anything. In the end it is his, and his family's, decision.  If you wish to lay in bed, rolling over, and thinking about it all the time... well... knock yourself out.  In the end, he has made his choice. Good luck to him.

3] Are you Superold's sibling?

I guess it boils down to what you would want for your kid and why they wrestle.

First they are student athletes? so they do it to get an education paid for, Aaron did that.

To wrestle in college? okay Aaron will do that as well only instead of seeing Iowa, Minn, or Penn State he is seeing the Rome, Madrid, Kiev,  and many other places.

Even more on the safe side of Aaron's decision, if a college athlete gets injured does the school still cover 100% of their education? Doubt it, but Aaron has his covered 100%.

Aaron gets paid for his likeness, something that would not happen if he went the traditional route through college.

Nor is he going to bed hungry at night like NCAA players complain about.

You should add... "FOR ME." 

I'm providing logical refutations to said notion.. Unless you don't abide by the rules of logic then there's no reason you should disagree... Unless you can provide refutations of your own.

Do that all you wish.  No person is "suppressing" anything. In the end it is his, and his family's, decision.  If you wish to lay in bed, rolling over, and thinking about it all the time... well... knock yourself out.  In the end, he has made his choice. Good luck to him.
I never criticized Pico's decision .. I criticized the general notions brought forth since the decision became public. By saying things like "He's not our kid", or "If you wish to play in bed, rolling over....", your suggesting that any further conversation over the matter is somehow unwarranted because "In the end, he has made a good choice" .. well for one, whether or not it was a good choice is the point of speculation here. But you're actively curtailing discussion because, in your opinion, we've somehow infringed upon the right of Pico and his parents to make family decisions - which we clearly haven't. I don't think anyone here deeply ruminates over this stuff outside of the wrestling forum, and we definitely don't roll over in our beds over the matter. 

3] Are you Superold's sibling?
I take this as a metaphorical criticism over my logical approach to discussion, in which case, I certainly am. I don't agree with him all the time, though. 

You stated: "your suggesting that any further conversation over the matter is somehow unwarranted"...

YES I am. 

Knock yourself out on this one.

Pico will be traveling the world and becoming more open-minded, truly intercultural, and gain broad experiences you and most people could only dream of attaining.

He will be fine.  And we should all just let go of trying to dissect his choices and embrace what he has done, where he has traveled, and only wish him the best of success. That's what people with high EQ's do.

Second Year Aerospace Engineering student here.. maybe I can contribute to this. 

First of all, don't equate any athlete's desire for success in his/her sport with that of their academics. Understand that people care more about some things than they do about other things, and claiming that they're passion for success is uniformly distributed across all activities is simply too assumptive. In fact, anyone who has ever known a high-level athlete knows that contrary is more than often true. I attend Rutgers University - recent inductee into the Big 10 - and cannot count how many times I've heard of cases in which athletes devise tactics to absolve themselves of college's educational obligations. This is understandable to a degree when considering the enormous egos and expectations established by these athletes. It's hard to regress from the hot-shot high school life when college proposes so many new toys and ways to have fun - in such a case who'd wanna be bogged down by school work? I'm not saying it's reasonable to ignore school work as many athletes do, but it's not difficult to arrive at a set of reasons why they do. As a devoted scientist I hate to bring up anecdotal evidence to support my claim, but I went to school with Johnny Sebastian and Nick Suriano at Bergen Catholic. I'd interviewed Johnny and written an article on him for the HS newspaper. Both were exceedingly talented and hard-working wrestlers, and nonetheless friendly people. But neither were they outstandingly, nor even slightly, considered to be intelligent or hard-working students by their peers, simply because they had neither the time nor patience for school. That's the commitment one must make when participating in such a high-level sport, and such is the reason why I don't advocate that just anyone go into wrestling because it simply won't adequately gauge everyone's natural abilities and desires given the sacrifice required to be just decent at it. Anyhow, we shouldn't assume any greater intelligence of Pico just because he is freakishly good at wrestling and even freakishlierly humble ... on-camera that is. Anyhow, my point has been made there. 

Secondly, I don't deny that Pico foregoing HS and College Wrestling in favor of freestyle will greatly strengthen his competitive vibe overseas. In his case, it may be the best option simply because he has proven himself as an international contender before that decision was made public. But the general notion that its always excusable for high-school phenoms to forego a pure high school and college education in favor of homeschooling is flawed, and the defense that one can just pick up a college degree with a side of fries afterwards is dismissive of blatant facts. First of all, quality education is almost always had in the physical presence of teachers and colleagues, in an academic environment that facilitates learning to the highest degree. You simply can't get that at home. I have no doubts(though I don't know for sure) that Pico's course load is greatly lessened because of his more immediate obligations, and that there isn't great emphasis placed on him actually understanding what was taught, as opposed to him just being able to run through the homework in time for practice. I have absolutely no proof of this, but it seems logical considering how truly difficult it would be to balance a full-time high school education, and a full-time wrestling career. Very few are able to handle even just one of the two. To assume that Pico is just as dedicated to education, which serves no direct purpose in the face of his wrestling success. as he is to wrestling is - to me - not the most rational conclusion. 

And about that post-wrestling college degree... Do you people understand how difficult is it to obtain a degree in mostly anything? You don't just "quit" wrestling and do something else.. there's undoubtedly a deeply emotional transition one must make from being one of the presumed best in the world at something, to becoming an ordinary everyday average joe. This jarring change in relative popularity has been discussed time and time again on this forum - How certain high school phenoms are unable to perform in college, under the new and unique pressures accompanied by simply not being the best in the room anymore. Adopting the beloved "if you're not the best you're nothing" mentality means risking mental  and emotional turbulence in the likely case that you simply won't be as good as you want to be. Think of living under the "the losers are the other people" philosophy of Tom Brands for 4 years, only to realize that you are inevitably one of the others that you trained so hard to punish and defeat all of your life. It must be jarring to say the least. Sure, I come from the biased background of engineering - which is statistically the most difficult major in college - but even lesser difficult fine-arts degrees take immense amounts of work and dedication, without even coupling in the difficulty of obtaining a job nowadays. One of Rutgers' most notoriously difficult undergrad courses is Expository Writing - touting a particularly high failure rate, though I believe the rumors are largely unrepresentative of student's laziness that results in bad grades. Try taking Integral Calculus or Thermodynamics... Anyway, imagine an emotionally jarred former wrestler having to put up with failing multiple papers, being constantly accompanied by that feeling of defeat and loss. You don't simply switch off that "winning" philosophy. It stays with you for a while. And every major has one of those Holy S**t this is hard classes. 

Now, this can be negated by partnering a lighter college load, with wrestling - as many college's do. And it can produce good results... Look at the Magic Man.. Graduating with a Masters Degree in an easy field, but at least a field nevertheless. But that's the product of balancing academics with athletics - something that HS Phenoms will never get if they skip out on college.  

My post may be in the running for longest of the year by now - and I have much more to say - but I've been silent much too often in light of this argument.  

My God are you a bore.  Get over yourself.

Entertaining read.  Thank you for the effort.   

Thanks for this. Could not agree more.

The people SO against PICO for making a decision outside of what THEY think is the "Correct" way to plan life are the same people who drive the exact speed limit and stay in the LEFT lane on interstate highways just to SHOW other people what the "true" LAWS are ("Hey... why should I move over Jim-bob... I is doing the speed limit...")

Go PICO... go... and don't look back.

Horrible analogy... Wreckless driving is against the law and gets many people hurt or killed all the time. Your analogy seems to be promoting breaking the law, being wreckless, and taking unnecessary risks. What Pico is doing IMO is not wreckless. Hes taking advantage of a tremendous opportunity and using his tremendous talents to accomplish some pretty incredible goals. Kudos to him for having the courage to go after it, but horrible horrible analogy on your part.

While desire for success may not always translate into academics, it often translates into success in other areas.  In fact I once watched a video by one of the big whigs from Pixar studios and what he said they look for when hiring is not necessarily academic achievement, many of the applicants have that, but instead mastery in something and it can be just about anything.  No one becomes a national champion in wrestling, or anything for that matter, overnight, but if you have the fortitude and dedication to become the absolute best at something on a national or better yet international level, it says quite a bit about you and is without question transferrable to other areas in life.

"Kudos to him for having the courage to go after it, but horrible horrible analogy on your part."

Maybe you need to breathe and read it again.  To translate...

1] I completely agree... great for him to do it.

2] People who drive the exact speed limit in the Left Lane are not "wreckless" or reckless (irresponsible)... they are insecure, they need something to prove, and are basically rude. Just like those who wished Pico took the "normal" route.

The point is, good for Pico.  Don't let people who never accomplished anything compared to what you have done before finishing Jr. High School get in your way. I am sure it won't.

2] People who drive the exact speed limit in the Left Lane are not "wreckless" or reckless (irresponsible)... they are insecure, they need something to prove, and are basically rude. Just like those who wished Pico took the "normal" route.

The point is, good for Pico.  Don't let people who never accomplished anything compared to what you have done before finishing Jr. High School get in your way. I am sure it won't.

Wow... someone here is a bit hypersensitive and guess what... its not me!

"Kudos to him for having the courage to go after it, but horrible horrible analogy on your part."

The point is, good for Pico.  Don't let people who never accomplished anything compared to what you have done before finishing Jr. High School get in your way. I am sure it won't."

You might want to have your doctor quit giving you so much estrogen. Just sayin'.

Edited by sgallan

You do realize it is possible to get a college degree without a wrestling scholarship, right? It's even possible to get a college degree after you are older than 23. Millions of people have done so. Mr. Cejudo did. Wrestling in college, or in general, isn't the end all. Pretty much everybody does just fine without ever actually being exposed to the sport.

I do realize the tendency is to take the "safe way" in all things. I am only glad there are enough outliers who don't go this route, otherwise not much remarkable would ever get done. I mean...... climbing a really high mountain..... how stupid can you get, you either lose digits or you die. Taking a 1400's boat across the Atlantic..... holy crap, that's flat out nuts. Going around South America's horn in a 1700's boat...... even crazier yet.  

I know this is a hard concept for the "safe way" people but others take chance and shoot for the stars so to speak. It often doesn't work but at least they tried. There was a really smart math geek at Harvard once, doing well in school, family support, and he dropped out of Harvard! Who does that? His name escapes me but he's worth about 80 billion dollars and I am using his software right now.

LOL..... gets off soap box.        

You might want to have your doctor quit giving you so much estrogen. Just sayin'.

Very Odd comment.  Please do not highlight your insecurities on here.  It must be embarrassing for you.

What's next for you---picking on fat girls on the playground because it is easy to make them cry?  That will make you sure feel more "manly".

You rank on me for  what you perceive as a "poor analogy" (maybe you need reading comprehension classes)--then do the macho thing and state the equivalent of a "*****". 

WOW... What a tough guy you are... a real MAN.... What's next... clubbing baby seals?

Pico is doing his thing. I think it is a good idea.  You think it is a good idea.  What's the issue tough guy? Were you the father who liked it when his kid made the other kid cry?  Tool.

Very Odd comment.  Please do not highlight your insecurities on here.  It must be embarrassing for you.

What's next for you---picking on fat girls on the playground because it is easy to make them cry?  That will make you sure feel more "manly".

You rank on me for  what you perceive as a "poor analogy" (maybe you need reading comprehension classes)--then do the macho thing and state the equivalent of a "*****". 

WOW... What a tough guy you are... a real MAN.... What's next... clubbing baby seals?

Pico is doing his thing. I think it is a good idea.  You think it is a good idea.  What's the issue tough guy? Were you the father who liked it when his kid made the other kid cry?  Tool.

I have always posted as a real person, if you want to get all bad with me, I will gladly PM you my address, and/or where I will likely be at on any time and date. Hell I will likely lose the fight (I am aging and even in my prime was only tough on non-wrestling boards), even get killed by a mad man, but since I am actually diagnosed bi-polar, and PTSD, and I like intense situations, this would all be REALLY cool for me no matter what the results. And getting taken out by a keyboard warrior would be a cool way to go. Might even make the wire and give me my 15 minutes of fame (albeit I will be dead - oh well). But I would be amazed if you did...... I have made this offer many times and no takers yet..... keyboard warriors are a dime a dozen.

Your call sport, feel free to PM me. You may be tough on a discussion board, but I am actually crazy, fearless, and ready to die, in the real world, if you want to go there I am game. As I said, it would be cool.

I am the guy they tell you about on discussion boards...... some of us are really and diagnosed crazy. Lets do this.

Tried to PM you but can't figure it out. My email is sjgallan@yahoo. com. Anything you want to know except my phone number, just ask. Bring it if you are all of that and not just another keyboard warrior. PS - 15 years and counting and not a single taker.

Edited by sgallan

"but since I am actually diagnosed bi-polar"

I will meet you in front of your house at 6 PM for the fight.  If I am late, please start without me.

That would be a different kind of mental illness....... but I appreciate your effort at deescalating the situation. :-)