Sign in to follow this  
greenmt.

Pico= rolling the dice

HAHA!

A good one, and I deserve it, but I really am pretty crazy. It's amusing when done right (like this), and helps...... not so much day to day.

Always a good thing when people put it into perspective. I often wake up and wonder, how bad did I get. It is really nice when the reaction doesn't make me beat myself up. Y'all rock (giving up man card).

Pico continues to impress.   He suffers a set back and he seems to rise another level.   I think with his won over 2013 senior World Champion, he has ot be considered one of the very best ever in our country by 18 years of age.   Dave Schultz accomplishments come to mind in terms of comparisons.  

What a great kid

And people still criticize him for taking the route he's chosen.   What an amazing opportunity he has and this free education via world travel and multi culture experience is just amazing.   Others would rather see him at the local college making weight 20 times per season, so long as he doesn't go a non conventional way, they never could have imagined possible.  

I could not agree more.  Only someone with a provincial, shallow and insecure mind would put this kid down for making his own choices.

He is not the ugly American, like those who wish to go to the Worlds and "Stare them down" (how did that work out)... no he is smart, polite, calm, well-spoken... and yes... beats world champs.

Great job.

And what does it matter if I know him personally or not? 

No hate.  Just think his "stare down" practice is adolescent and did not work at the Worlds. Too me, it shows no class.

People who "Love the stare down..." Good for you.

There are, and have been many wrestlers of higher quality than TR who never felt the need to pull such macho crap.

Made him look like the dumb American cowboy.  Who did very poorly at that.

Again, if you think the macho stare down is cool and condone it... that is your choice.  If I had a kid on my team doing it I would ask him to think about his psychological practices.

I prefer DT's style.

Second Year Aerospace Engineering student here.. maybe I can contribute to this. 

First of all, don't equate any athlete's desire for success in his/her sport with that of their academics. Understand that people care more about some things than they do about other things, and claiming that they're passion for success is uniformly distributed across all activities is simply too assumptive. In fact, anyone who has ever known a high-level athlete knows that contrary is more than often true. I attend Rutgers University - recent inductee into the Big 10 - and cannot count how many times I've heard of cases in which athletes devise tactics to absolve themselves of college's educational obligations. This is understandable to a degree when considering the enormous egos and expectations established by these athletes. It's hard to regress from the hot-shot high school life when college proposes so many new toys and ways to have fun - in such a case who'd wanna be bogged down by school work? I'm not saying it's reasonable to ignore school work as many athletes do, but it's not difficult to arrive at a set of reasons why they do. As a devoted scientist I hate to bring up anecdotal evidence to support my claim, but I went to school with Johnny Sebastian and Nick Suriano at Bergen Catholic. I'd interviewed Johnny and written an article on him for the HS newspaper. Both were exceedingly talented and hard-working wrestlers, and nonetheless friendly people. But neither were they outstandingly, nor even slightly, considered to be intelligent or hard-working students by their peers, simply because they had neither the time nor patience for school. That's the commitment one must make when participating in such a high-level sport, and such is the reason why I don't advocate that just anyone go into wrestling because it simply won't adequately gauge everyone's natural abilities and desires given the sacrifice required to be just decent at it. Anyhow, we shouldn't assume any greater intelligence of Pico just because he is freakishly good at wrestling and even freakishlierly humble ... on-camera that is. Anyhow, my point has been made there. 

Secondly, I don't deny that Pico foregoing HS and College Wrestling in favor of freestyle will greatly strengthen his competitive vibe overseas. In his case, it may be the best option simply because he has proven himself as an international contender before that decision was made public. But the general notion that its always excusable for high-school phenoms to forego a pure high school and college education in favor of homeschooling is flawed, and the defense that one can just pick up a college degree with a side of fries afterwards is dismissive of blatant facts. First of all, quality education is almost always had in the physical presence of teachers and colleagues, in an academic environment that facilitates learning to the highest degree. You simply can't get that at home. I have no doubts(though I don't know for sure) that Pico's course load is greatly lessened because of his more immediate obligations, and that there isn't great emphasis placed on him actually understanding what was taught, as opposed to him just being able to run through the homework in time for practice. I have absolutely no proof of this, but it seems logical considering how truly difficult it would be to balance a full-time high school education, and a full-time wrestling career. Very few are able to handle even just one of the two. To assume that Pico is just as dedicated to education, which serves no direct purpose in the face of his wrestling success. as he is to wrestling is - to me - not the most rational conclusion. 

And about that post-wrestling college degree... Do you people understand how difficult is it to obtain a degree in mostly anything? You don't just "quit" wrestling and do something else.. there's undoubtedly a deeply emotional transition one must make from being one of the presumed best in the world at something, to becoming an ordinary everyday average joe. This jarring change in relative popularity has been discussed time and time again on this forum - How certain high school phenoms are unable to perform in college, under the new and unique pressures accompanied by simply not being the best in the room anymore. Adopting the beloved "if you're not the best you're nothing" mentality means risking mental  and emotional turbulence in the likely case that you simply won't be as good as you want to be. Think of living under the "the losers are the other people" philosophy of Tom Brands for 4 years, only to realize that you are inevitably one of the others that you trained so hard to punish and defeat all of your life. It must be jarring to say the least. Sure, I come from the biased background of engineering - which is statistically the most difficult major in college - but even lesser difficult fine-arts degrees take immense amounts of work and dedication, without even coupling in the difficulty of obtaining a job nowadays. One of Rutgers' most notoriously difficult undergrad courses is Expository Writing - touting a particularly high failure rate, though I believe the rumors are largely unrepresentative of student's laziness that results in bad grades. Try taking Integral Calculus or Thermodynamics... Anyway, imagine an emotionally jarred former wrestler having to put up with failing multiple papers, being constantly accompanied by that feeling of defeat and loss. You don't simply switch off that "winning" philosophy. It stays with you for a while. And every major has one of those Holy S**t this is hard classes. 

Now, this can be negated by partnering a lighter college load, with wrestling - as many college's do. And it can produce good results... Look at the Magic Man.. Graduating with a Masters Degree in an easy field, but at least a field nevertheless. But that's the product of balancing academics with athletics - something that HS Phenoms will never get if they skip out on college.  

My post may be in the running for longest of the year by now - and I have much more to say - but I've been silent much too often in light of this argument.  

Excellent post and about par for the course, as far as what we should expect from a 2nd year, Aerospace engineer, with little to no athletic experience, personally and who's entire exposure to high level high school athletes consists of not 1 but 2 individuals.   I must say we should all feel honored by his mere presence, let alone his cleverly crafted and very well thought out rant.  

As for whether Pico can make the transition to college after being as committed to wrestling and then presumably an MMA career, He asked for it in his contract with Dethrone (iirc that is his management group) and he is structuring his commitments accordingly in order to achieve that goal of education.  Otherwise why would he bother graduating high school?  And can he do well or in my opinion, even excel via an on line high school program, it is my understanding that he wants and has tutors helping him.  Another clear indication in support of his desire for a quality education.   

With that said, sir, one aspect you've completely neglected to consider, or at least address, is the real life, world classes education he will receive via his travels around the world, by his exposures to different cultures, interacting and befriending people of all back grounds and professional aspirations.  He is being guided carefully buy his dad who must have done well for himself given all he has provided for Aaron.   His real world experiences give a leg up to the typical college dork, with his nose in a book and little exposure to little else in real life.  A social misfit you could say.   I know several of them.  I'm business partners with 4 of them; it is actually comical to watch them make sense (seemingly formulated in a vacuum and nearly always over analyzed) of common, everyday tasks.   If nothing else, they are good for comic relief from the otherwise occasional stress.  I'm rambling now...

Aaron Pico will have an education with real value, just from his experiences associated with international and domestic competitions.   Whatever he adds later in a traditional American college setting may be simply in order to accomplish a goal of an American education (don't be surprised if he picks up courses abroad and adds "international" to his educations resume).   If I had to guess, Pico meets people with a business background and they instill "that way of thinking".  He then launches businesses with their guidance and eventually picks up a degree with helps, something like communications, or some sort of studies which help him relate and understand his target market.   

Your post is probably spot on from an inside the box perspective.  Unfortunately it fails miserably when you consider Aaron pico is the quintessential exploiter of outside the box thinking.   I hope you wont consider your post a complete and utter failure.   Like my engineer friends, your post served as a much needed source of entertainment as the PAC 12 is getting dominated in the National Championship game.   Promise us you'll return (granted with your nose bloodied and your tail tucked) and entertain us more when the school work load permits.  I know you probably don't get away much.

Cheers

Edited by Cletus_Tucker

Lesh it is total hating on and judging TR the same way some do to Pico very hypocritical JMO. 

In Leshes' defense, I find it difficult to locate another member of the world team who is so egregious with his thug mentality/  Moreover, when Lesh praises Pico for his behavior of total class and maturity as a mere teen, the obvious antithesis of the type of behavior would most likely be Mr Ramos.   This isn't opinion, this is factually accurate.   I don't see it as Lesh singling him out, Ramos does a good job of dooing that himself.  But I digress, flame on

Edited by Cletus_Tucker

After only his sophomore year he beats the world champion 8-0 he is the greatest of

all time hands down.  Just a waste of time for him to wrestle high school or college and

win another 6 titles when he can beat and own the world.  He is the GOAT.

I stayed out of this for a long time but there has been something about this thread and a few others from the past which really bothers me.

First I need to say I’m not bashing “The Kid” or his parents, coaches, handlers, agent, or anybody else involved with his life and his decisions. He is a one-in-a-million kid and should look out for his best interest, which in this case is forgoing the traditional wrestling path. If I were in his shoes, or those of his advisors I would probably be making the exact same decision but it is important to note he is a one-in-a-million kid with the ability to make this decision. The 999,999 others should not be encouraged to follow this path.

That having been said there is a familiar undertone in these threads that is extremely dismissive of people who highlight the college educational environment. Regardless of all the comments about alternative routes to an education, or that not everybody who goes to college wrestles, or that it’s still going to be paid for by somebody, the reality is there is no substitute for actually attending college and living on campus. There is so much more to college than just books. The interpersonal relationships you develop are more important than a research paper and last a lifetime. While many people positively mention the life lessons learned in the wrestling room just as many seem to ignore the more valuable life lessons learned on the quad, in the halls of 100 year old buildings, the library, the bookstore, the cafeterias, the dorm, the student union, and even the parking lot. There are too many to list but rest assured many of us use them daily.

There is just no substitute for being on campus and for some to be so flippant about the benefits just shows the lack of understanding so many people have of the college experience.

I wish him the best but I don’t think he’ll make the 2016 team. 2020 will be his year and I’ll proudly cheer when he wins gold, but I will remind my kid (or possibly by then grand-kids) that he is a one-in-a-million kid and that his path in life is his and his alone.

Aaron said the life experience he will gain from traveling in other countries and meeting those people far out weigh his missing out on the social environment of high school and college.  Plus he wants to win the Olympics in 2016 because he will be doing MMA after that.  The fact he quit wrestling for 3 years at 10 to get good at boxing shows his commitment to his future plans.  A golden gloves championship proves this guy is unexcelled by anyone before him and he says he is better at boxing!  He knows wrestling internationally is the correct road to winning the Olympics and he intends to do that in 2016.  When the money people say you are the best prospect ever and put their money with their mouth it is true.  Dan Gable said it best,   " I was 181-1 then I learned how to wrestle". 

If you honestly believe that his life experiences traveling the world will far outweigh his loss of high school and college experience you are being naïve. I have traveled much of the world and I can tell you a teen (especially one so focused on wrestling) will not have the same experience as an adult with an education. While he will see numerous and wonderful things they will be completely different than the social interaction he would get in a college setting. They will be fantastic but they will be so totally different the ability to judge their future impact on his life is simply not possible. I don’t care how mature he is for a teen-ager he in no way can understand (because of the lack of life experience) what he will not get from the loss of his high school or college experience.

As a one-in-a-million kid with his ability he made the correct decision, but it is exactly the kind of tone you are setting in your comments that can mislead some of the other 999,999 kids out there who cannot, should not, and must not be encouraged to choose a similar path.

The one-in-a-million kid should be praised and encouraged for that they are but the rest must be given honest guidance, not fantasy.

Zebra--->I too don't take him seriously at all. Funny--Yes.  A comedian--Yes.  A serious thinker--Not really.

It is 2015.  Some kids are going to college online for many reasons.  Are they losers too?

So Pico is taking his online European history class while in Greece or Turkey... speaking with people who live in these historic places.  What could he possible get out of this compared to a frat party on Saturday night in Iowa city?

Having the opportunity (via the internet) to travel the world... work out with "natives" where ever he is, interacting with them every day, learning amazing wrestling skills,  while studying towards a degree, is much more of a learning experience than being in an American dorm room.  If that is too complicated for you to figure out... I truly feel sorry for you.

So again, take Zebra seriously?  

I sort of think of him to be a lot like championship fake wrestling.  Sometime strangely entertaining, but nothing to ever take seriously. :-)))