Sign in to follow this  
dclark145

FILA to Change Name, Logo

That's a placeholder world logo. Their "logo" will actually be developed and released if the name is approved.

Hopefully, a different name comes into play. United World Wrestling sounds like a professional wrestling circuit. I do think we need a new name to differentiate us from the athletic sportswear company, Fila.

That's a placeholder world logo. Their "logo" will actually be developed and released if the name is approved.

Hopefully, a different name comes into play. United World Wrestling sounds like a professional wrestling circuit. I do think we need a new name to differentiate us from the athletic sportswear company, Fila.

My thoughts exactly. Our sport needs as much distance as possible from professional rasslin' and MMA - we have enough problems already.

It could be a good change if they are going to be more proactive in promoting our sport. Nothing seems to be done about promoting our sport to the general population, the individuals who do not already watch, participate or otherwise understand wrestling. Sand Wrestling (Beach Wrestling) has taken a backseat, which I believe to be the wrong direction as this style is a great way to introduce the general popluation to our sport and attempt to get them to understand the mat styles; FILA should switch from the "Sumo" rules to the "Takedown" rules, since the international mat styles use takedowns. FILA doesn't seem sure if they were going to have an official "World Championships" after this year, when they should be trying to get Sand Wrestling as (at least) an exhibition spot at the Olympic Games, and get the Olympians from all styles invovled. I still believe Sand Wrestling is a great answer to introduce wrestling to the world, and including it in the Olympic program would only solidfy wrestling's position at the Games.

Another possibile productive change that the "new" FILA could consider is backing a Championship for each weight and style, (maybe initially combine weights), and have bouts where a champion must defend their championship, much like MMA and "pro" wrestling. Why not embrace the part of those styles that work, and can make it more entertaining to onlookers. A lot of positive possibilities open up with the benefits of having a larger viewship for wrestling.

IWF - international wrestling federation

WF - wrestling federation

IWA - international wrestling association (or authority)

IOW - international Olympic wrestling

GWA - global wrestling authority

OWA - Olympic wrestling authority (or association)

OWF - Olympic wrestling federation

That's a good name. International Wrestling Federation. Very similar to a possible English interpretation of FILA. Other options could be International Wrestling Union, or International Wrestling Council.

"Grappling" could also be used in the name in place of "Wrestling."

Better than "FILA" that no one outside the sport recognized as being the governing body of wrestling. It's great that they use the word "wrestling" in the logo, since it's about time real wrestling started using it instead of fake wrestling. Wrestling is a word that is recognized internationally and it's relatively easy to transfer to NON-english languages.

The simpler the logo, the longer it looks good. All I'm seeing is the font, is there going to be an image of some kind with it?

That's a good name. International Wrestling Federation. Very similar to a possible English interpretation of FILA. Other options could be International Wrestling Union, or International Wrestling Council.

"Grappling" could also be used in the name in place of "Wrestling."

IWF definitely sounds like a pro wrestling group. :D

And no, no to the word "grappling". Grappling is not wrestling, even though it's a part of wrestling. Also, it's a very hard word for many non-english speakers. Get ready for "craplink"! ;)

It could be a good change if they are going to be more proactive in promoting our sport. Nothing seems to be done about promoting our sport to the general population, the individuals who do not already watch, participate or otherwise understand wrestling. Sand Wrestling (Beach Wrestling) has taken a backseat, which I believe to be the wrong direction as this style is a great way to introduce the general popluation to our sport and attempt to get them to understand the mat styles; FILA should switch from the "Sumo" rules to the "Takedown" rules, since the international mat styles use takedowns. FILA doesn't seem sure if they were going to have an official "World Championships" after this year, when they should be trying to get Sand Wrestling as (at least) an exhibition spot at the Olympic Games, and get the Olympians from all styles invovled. I still believe Sand Wrestling is a great answer to introduce wrestling to the world, and including it in the Olympic program would only solidfy wrestling's position at the Games.

Another possibile productive change that the "new" FILA could consider is backing a Championship for each weight and style, (maybe initially combine weights), and have bouts where a champion must defend their championship, much like MMA and "pro" wrestling. Why not embrace the part of those styles that work, and can make it more entertaining to onlookers. A lot of positive possibilities open up with the benefits of having a larger viewship for wrestling.

Enough with the "sand wrestling" stuff. It's just not happening, since it's considered a childrens game internationally. Also, a drunken game. And it requires a weather that most countries just don't have.

There are no sumo-rules in international wrestling. I don't know how much you wrestle, but you don't know what you are talking about. Also, spamming every article everywhere with this sw-thing just makes people p*ssed. As does spreading false info about the birth of current wrestling rules in the internet, so that it suits your agenda. Yes, I read your comments on Fila-Facebook and elsewhere.

And ANOTHER set of wrestling rules will help the destruction of wrestling in general. We don't need more sports, we need more action, more allowed holds and less rules if we are going to keep wrestling as a real combat sport.

SW is a fun game, but it should not be considered a real contender to freestyle or greco.

Oh!Welcome to the "snow wrestling" championships. Now there's a sport! With alcohol, of course... And a quick dip in the freezing pond. ;)

I am surprised it will be in English...

long over due change in my opinion. nothing at all against french and i understand the tradition of using french in international organizations but english is by far and away the only current lingua franca and hardly any big wrestling federations are comprised of predominantly of speakers of romance languages, let alone french.

i like the IWF suggestions too. but to me, getting rid of "FILA" and putting the word "wrestling" in the name most important thing. as long as that happens i'll consider it a good move.

FILA's old name and logo had approximately zero brand value so there is nothing to lose by making a change.

'wrestling' definitely has to be in the name. Of course it could be confused with professional wrastling organizations, but not much you can do about that. I am partial to a two word name like WA or WF or AW or FW. Easier to make a logo and definitely easier in common use.

I am surprised it will be in English...

long over due change in my opinion. nothing at all against french and i understand the tradition of using french in international organizations but english is by far and away the only current lingua franca and hardly any big wrestling federations are comprised of predominantly of speakers of romance languages, let alone french.

Rule 24 of the Olympic Charter stipulates, “The official languages of the International Olympic Committee are French and English.” At the origin of this rule is the Baron Pierre de Coubertin, a Frenchman considered by many as the founder of the modern Olympic Games.

Language is very political and as such, I would have thought the Eastern European and Middle Eastern factions would have preferred French to English.

Language is very political and as such, I would have thought the Eastern European and Middle Eastern factions would have preferred French to English.

why would you say that? English is far more popular a second language than French in nearly every country in FILA. maybe not in some west african countries in the Franchophone but thats about it.

i get the history of French as the diplomatic language but for it has very little practical value within FILA. it'd be more useful to have Russian and English as the two main languages than French.

why would you say that? English is far more popular a second language than French in nearly every country in FIFA. maybe not in some west african countries in the Franchophone but thats about it.

i get the history of French as the diplomatic language but for it has very little practical value within FIFA. it'd be more useful to have Russian and English as the two main languages than French.

Did you mean FIFA or FILA?

On second thought, I like the new name. It's a variation of "international Wrestling Union." It also has a contemporary ring to it, and evokes the values of cooperation and mutual respect. On top of that I personally think English is the way to go because it is the worlds most used language in science, technology, business, and likely diplomacy.