Sign in to follow this  
dclark145

FILA to Change Name, Logo

Language is very political and as such, I would have thought the Eastern European and Middle Eastern factions would have preferred French to English.

why would you say that? English is far more popular a second language than French in nearly every country in FIFA. maybe not in some west african countries in the Franchophone but thats about it.

i get the history of French as the diplomatic language but for it has very little practical value within FIFA. it'd be more useful to have Russian and English as the two main languages than French.

Did you mean FIFA or FILA?

ah, world cup on the brain. will edit for clarity but yes, meant FILA not FIFA.

IWF - international wrestling federation

WF - wrestling federation

IWA - international wrestling association (or authority)

IOW - international Olympic wrestling

GWA - global wrestling authority

OWA - Olympic wrestling authority (or association)

OWF - Olympic wrestling federation

I'm good with anything except NAMBLA.

IWF - international wrestling federation

That's a good name. International Wrestling Federation.

IWF definitely sounds like a pro wrestling group. :D

It's very difficult to come up with a name that doesn't sound like pro wrestling. To that end, I think the name "United World Wrestling" does as good a job as can be done. As for "International Wrestling Federation," it would be tough to do better than that as well.

Grappling is not wrestling, even though it's a part of wrestling.

Wrestling (including folkstyle, freestyle, Greco, beach) is a part of grappling, not the other way around. So I don't see the problem with using the term "grappling" in the name. It might even be more accurate because FILA/UWW holds amateur pankration competitions, and that's not wrestling.

Wrestling (including folkstyle, freestyle, Greco, beach) is a part of grappling, not the other way around. So I don't see the problem with using the term "grappling" in the name. It might even be more accurate because FILA/UWW holds amateur pankration competitions, and that's not wrestling.

Interesting. Must be an american view. Internationally grappling is considered a part of wrestling, not the other way around. In countries I have wrestled, "grappling" usually means hand fighting in wrestling, where the grapplling you are talking about is just talked about as "wrestling" (if locks are used it's still "wrestling", though the term usually has an addendum- "lock wrestling", for example.). Grappling is also seen "softer" than wrestling in many languages. A game.

So the "grappling" -term is only used as such in english speaking countries, mainly the USA as it would seem.

Also, didn't FILA drop the actual grappling-sport from it's menu?

Someone in FILA obviously has family members who own a printing and design company.

Change the name and logo - forget about adding more weight classes.

They can't add weightclasses. Blame the olympics.

It's a good thing the sport keeps getting a makeover. It was stuck in the early 1900's, and not in a good way. Finally we are seeing a change, but people still complain. Even though the future of wrestling as an olympic sport is hanging by a thread.

I'm still hoping they open up the rules, and allow for more holds. As a wrestler, I'd be happy with that. The ground work in wrestling has been passive for a long time, so maybe it IS a time to allow SOME kind of locks-for-points system that stops the passive laydown game.

They can't add weightclasses. Blame the olympics.

They CAN add weight classes. They can't add competitors. They can add weight classes by reducing the bracket size while keeping the number of competitors the same. (Not sayin' they should; just that they could.)

I like that Filas new name is pronounced "ewwww."

In terms of weight classes a 55 kg Greco and 80 kg FS are clearly needed as non Olympic weights, I know Dziedzic is aware of this, hopefully this is considered soon.

On the plus side, I'm bring told the magic point (almost takedown) is no more. A victory for common sense!

Ewwww... Here are a few with better acronyms than UWW:

IAWA - International Amateur Wrestling Association (pronounced "Iowa")

WSI - Wrestling Styles International (pronounced "Wizzy")

WWI - World Wrestling International (looks like World War I)

GAWS - Global Association of Wrestling Styles (pronounced "Jaws")

GAWS - Global Association of Wrestling Styles (pronounced "Jaws")

I have to say, this one seems to make most sense. While not terribly catchy, I can see it especially with trying to make grappling styles a little more cohesive.

FILA should have done a little crowd sourcing on this one. Members within the wrestling community can be pretty creative when they want to be.

I like that Filas new name is pronounced "ewwww."

In terms of weight classes a 55 kg Greco and 80 kg FS are clearly needed as non Olympic weights, I know Dziedzic is aware of this, hopefully this is considered soon.

On the plus side, I'm bring told the magic point (almost takedown) is no more. A victory for common sense!

That they ever included it speaks to the arbitrary nature those in power have to how results are determined. "Score" without scoring...

We still have the shot clock where "scores" can happen even though no one scored. Geniuses...

I sorta wish they hadn't raised my hopes. I'm back split between wondering what they'll think of next, and not really caring. It seems the same group is running things, but had a brief loss of control a year ago.

United World Wrestling is just stupid. Granted, "FILA" was crap and needed to be changed, but the name needs to actually sound like a governing body, comparable to the governing body of other Olympic sports, such that when you see the name you immediately recognize it as the likely name of the sport's governing body. "United World Wrestling" sounds more like a slogan than a name, it seems like its missing a word at the end, and it definitely doesn't connote the sport's governing body.

The branding group that FILA hired screwed the pooch, but FILA did too as their apparent instructions were, per the press release, to come up with a name that conveys the "values" of FILA. Who knows what that means, but its probably why they came up with this "United" crap, which no other sport uses. Their charge should have been to just come up with a name the people unfamiliar with the sport will associate with the sport's governing body.

Better yet, they should have saved members' dues and bypassed using an agency at all, since its not like they're naming a new brand of running shoe and they need a catchy name -- they're naming the bloody name of a sport's governing body. Just look at the set of 4 or 5 words that other sports use, and pick an official-sounding combination. Brand value comes from power of association, and no one who didn't read this press release will have any inkling from this name that it is an international governing body. The names thrown out on this thread -- e.g. International Federation of Wrestling, International Amateur Wrestling Federation, International Association of Wrestling Styles, etc -- are 10 times better than the slice of idiocy that is "United World Wrestling."

By now I should be used to boneheaded decisions by FILA -- oh I mean "United World Wrestling" -- but they never cease to amaze me.

1. "Amateur" -term is not being used most likely because it is NOT used internationally in context to wrestling. The use of "amateur" -term diminishes wrestling. There is NO "amateur judo". There is NO "amateur BJJ". Wrestling is just wrestling. The fact that show-wrestling took the PRO-moniker does not mean real wrestling needs to make itself sound like a hobby. Wrestling is a way of life.

There is no amateur wrestling, only wrestling.

2. UWW prononounciacion depends on the language it's pronounced on. It may sound silly in american english(?) but in many languages it's pronounced "Y-WE-WE", whics is simple and easy to remember.

Way better than FILA, which was always mixed with the sports apparel company.

It could be a good change if they are going to be more proactive in promoting our sport. Nothing seems to be done about promoting our sport to the general population, the individuals who do not already watch, participate or otherwise understand wrestling. Sand Wrestling (Beach Wrestling) has taken a backseat, which I believe to be the wrong direction as this style is a great way to introduce the general popluation to our sport and attempt to get them to understand the mat styles; FILA should switch from the "Sumo" rules to the "Takedown" rules, since the international mat styles use takedowns. FILA doesn't seem sure if they were going to have an official "World Championships" after this year, when they should be trying to get Sand Wrestling as (at least) an exhibition spot at the Olympic Games, and get the Olympians from all styles invovled. I still believe Sand Wrestling is a great answer to introduce wrestling to the world, and including it in the Olympic program would only solidfy wrestling's position at the Games.

Another possibile productive change that the "new" FILA could consider is backing a Championship for each weight and style, (maybe initially combine weights), and have bouts where a champion must defend their championship, much like MMA and "pro" wrestling. Why not embrace the part of those styles that work, and can make it more entertaining to onlookers. A lot of positive possibilities open up with the benefits of having a larger viewship for wrestling.

Enough with the "sand wrestling" stuff. It's just not happening, since it's considered a childrens game internationally. Also, a drunken game. And it requires a weather that most countries just don't have.

There are no sumo-rules in international wrestling. I don't know how much you wrestle, but you don't know what you are talking about. Also, spamming every article everywhere with this sw-thing just makes people p*ssed. As does spreading false info about the birth of current wrestling rules in the internet, so that it suits your agenda. Yes, I read your comments on Fila-Facebook and elsewhere.

And ANOTHER set of wrestling rules will help the destruction of wrestling in general. We don't need more sports, we need more action, more allowed holds and less rules if we are going to keep wrestling as a real combat sport.

SW is a fun game, but it should not be considered a real contender to freestyle or greco.

Oh!Welcome to the "snow wrestling" championships. Now there's a sport! With alcohol, of course... And a quick dip in the freezing pond. ;)

Wow, there is a ton of misinformation in your post, but please allow me to clarify. I don't know where you heard that Sand Wrestling is not catching on internationally, but that is certainly not the case. FILA has sanctioned an annual Beach Wrestling Worlds since it's introduction, and many teams have sent World Teams to compete. Sand Wrestling has been included as a part of the Asian Games, the Down Under Games, and the Youth Olympics. A significant number of countries have already held sand wrestling events, quite a number have annual National Championships, and right here in the U.S., the number fo competitions are continually increasing. The biggest calls for including this style into the Olympics is originating around the Medeterranean.

All sports are "fun games"; that's what they are intended to be. There are plenty of people out there that would say that MLB, NBA, NFL, and NHL players are "overpaid a-holes, playing a kids game." So I'm not sure what kind of point you are trying to make there?

Yes, you are right that the word "Sumo" does not appear in rules of sand wrestling, neither does the word "takedown". The original rules adopted by FILA in 2004 was interpreted differently around the world, most commonly in one of two ways. One I refer to as the "Sumo rules", since scoring a point occurs whenever a part of your opponent touches the sand; it was updated by FILA in 2011 that hands along with feet can touch the sand without giving up a point. The other interpretaion of the rules started using takedowns instead of forcing a body part of your opponent's to the sand, hence I refer to those rules as "takedown rules". I have wrestled in both versions of the rules, mostly the takedown version here in the U.S., and the "Sumo rules" at the FILA Worlds in 2011.

I am not making these rules, but trying my best to explain how the general trend of the rules are. I simply post the information of Sand Wrestling events on the Sand Wrestling website, with links to the event if there is one available. I do not have any intention of instructing contests with their rules, and note that on the website, but I do profive my perspective whenever asked. I do not make money on the site, but i love promoting this style. An official international style. So I don't understand why you would be "getting p*ssed" at a wrestling themed post on a wrestling forum, that is an international style of wrestling on the appropriate international wrestling forum.

I think it's silly for us to downgrade any style of wrestling. We should be trying to help promote the sport, and promoting each style has it's benefits of doing just that. I personally prefer the sand version, and I'm not alone on that. I still love the mat styles too, getting my start in scholastic some 20+ years ago, but spent the last 7+ more devoted on on this style. I feel good about helping those that are working hard to promote sand wrestling by spreading the word. I'm sorry that you choose not to envision the potential that this style can provide.