Sign in to follow this  
Roadkill

Redshirt Question

I think the 30% is only if you wrestle and then have an injury. If there is no injury, then a single match representing the school will disqualify them from taking a reshirt.

At least that's how I understand it.

I think the 30% is only if you wrestle and then have an injury. If there is no injury, then a single match representing the school will disqualify them from taking a reshirt.

At least that's how I understand it.

That's correct but very theoretical.

Seems they always end up injured.

I have had some issues with some medical redshirts

One for example was when a kid was planning to have his shoulder repaired in December and wrestled in November and early December. He was needed for a dual or two and was wrestled with the full intent of recieving a Med Redshirt. It worked

The other was one where a NCAA Div11 Finalist was injured in his final match and was operated on during the off season. The surgury was bad enough that all concerened was sure he would revieve a med redshirt but he still wrestled in a few opens the next season while healing.

Craig Turnbull was the master of wrestling his guys in the 1st semester dual meets with a scheduled surgery in January - then receiving a medical redshirt.

one of the Jones boys, D. Hager, + several more names I can't pull from the brain.

But he was within the rules and his Administration let him get away with it. Sad part he would wrestle his guys with injuries that required surgery - all to win a few dual meets.

Some of his guys were there 6 years - I didn't know they had that many available classes for a six year degree from WVU.

Common confusion: a medical hardship is not a medical redshirt.

A medical hardship is used when a wrestler has a red shirt available, is injured and has not wrestled in more than 30% of the teams matches. They can apply for a hardship, turning that season into their "redshirt" year, preserving eligibility. Think of Jordan Burroughs back when he tore his knee. There is a pretty big loophole here, as was stated above, where injury could commonly be used in quotations. But if a doctor signs off on it and the wrestler has not competed in the 30%, then most likely they will be issued the hardship. In reality, this happens more frequently than people think.

A medical redshirt is a sixth-year waiver. After using all five years of eligibility, if the wrestler missed say, an entire year or most of one bc of a surgery and didnt have a redshirt to burn, they could apply for the extra year.