Sign in to follow this  
jstock

Link to Russian Nationals

I might have forgotten to carry some 2's, but I think, maybe, this is the schedule for the rest of the tournament in Eastern Standard:

8PM Fri - 1:00AM Sat - preliminary fights and consolation – 61, 74,125 kgs

4AM Sat – 6AM Sat - final matches – 61, 74, 125 kgs

8PM Sat- Midnight Sun- preliminary and consolation matches – 65, 86 kgs

2AM Sun– 4AM Sun - final matches - category 65, 86 kgs

brief tangent on Gatsalov's name, since i just looked it up and figured i'd share. why not?

written in Cyrillic, a few characters appear that do not transliterate into English. X, in Cyrillic, is a common sound in many parts of the world, but extremely rare in English. Its the back of the throat almost coughing noise that comes at the end of Loch (as in Ness) or Bach. It usually gets pronounced like an H in English but it's not uncommon to see K or even a G used in translations. so Gatsalov's first name is probably no pronounced like 'Ka' or 'Ha' but somewhere in between, hence the 'Kh'.

д is just a D but it's followed by ж which has no English letter equivalent. the sound is common enough tho, sometimes represented by zh. its the 's' in treasure or the second 'g' in garage. when combined, the two sounds (phonemes if you want to get technical) make a J, a letter not found in Cyrillic.

ц is a ts sound. English does not have a letter for it because almost no words start with a ts, only loan words like tsunami and tse tse. difficult for English speakers to say at the start of a word but quite natural when in the middle. Same deal with 'ng'.

what's also interesting to me is that Gastalov appears to be named after this guy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hadji_Murad

which seems odd only because Gatsalov's bio says he is Ossetian, who are predominantly Iranian speaking Christians, unlike Hadji Murad, an a Dagestani Muslim freedom fighter of historical significance. doesn't really mean anything and i could be wrong about the names being connected, but i just found it interesting.

OK, detour over. back to work!

Excuse my ignorance but who is the 97kg red wrestler? That super duck like set up to a high c at the 3:38 mark is super sick for a man that size!

That is Abdusalam Gadisov. He's been considered by many to be one of the best pound for pound in the world the past few years, but for some reason he always seems to choke in the biggest moments.

Geduev and Gatsalov are not participating. There was an interview with Guseinov, the head coach and he said that while for Gatsalov it may be OK not to participate and still be considered for the world team, he was very unclear why Geduev is not participating and said that he will basically not be considered for the world team.

Re: 97kg, this is Abdusalam Gadisov, there was an interview with him right after the match and he said that winning matches @Russian nationals is harder than winning matches at olympics/worlds/europeans. Boltukaev had not competed this year btw, he had surgery.

btw, Gadisov was unscored on for the entire tournament. The dude is a beast and incredibly talented. Great combination of power, speed and technique. He is my favorite wrestler to watch by far. I expect him to win Worlds this time: he is more mature, times himself better and is more focused.

funny, they asked him whether married life helped him now that he is married and he said that his wife told him to not return home unless he wins, so he had extra motivation :)

Otarsultanov will be @65 for sure: today the 3 winners were:

- Gadisov/97kg

- Lebedev/57kg

- Tsabolov/70kg

Lebedev was losing 2:0 with 40 sec to go but managed to pull through.

Tsabolov seems kind of a weak spot for Team Russia. He got scrambled by the Iranian.

Tomorrow its 61kg 74kg and 125kg.

There is a potential for this team to look like this, which will clearly win the worlds, only Q is how much.

125kg - K. Gatsalov: world champ 2013

97kg - A. Gadisov

86kg - A. Sadulaev

74kg - D.Tsargush

70kg - K.Tsabolov

65kg - J. Otarsultanov

61kg - B. Goygereev

57kg - V.Lebedev

I really thought our team had a chance but this team is going to dominate. I still have hope though. I really like our odds on getting a team Silver. Man, Gadisov is a freakin monster! He looks like a Cyborg out there-especially this year. Man does he look hungry. I can not believe he has never won yet. He dominated every match and will destroy Yazdani or at least win this year. No reason for his training partner (Gatsalov) to even wrestle 97k-I agree with their coaches. Gadisov would have beat Gatsalov in another close match. I am sure the russian 125 champ will get a wrestle off with Gatsalov but he has dominated all their 125k guys so it seems pretty much a lock for him there. I see five Golds for this team:

125kg - K. Gatsalov: Gold

97kg - A. Gadisov Gold

86kg - A. Sadulaev Gold

74kg - D.Tsargush Silver/Bronze

70kg - K.Tsabolov Silver/Bronze

65kg - J. Otarsultanov 5th

61kg - B. Goygereev Gold

57kg - V.Lebedev Gold

Thanks for the results so far. Any info on the 2nd and 3rd place guys?

How did last years world bronze medalist Israpilov do? I really thought he was the most impressive at 55 last year, just seemed to has out a bit. I figured with longer breaks between matches he might be a favorite this year.

This team seems to be loading up for this year, guess they don't like silver. Last year they sent 6 first timers to worlds, looks like they'll be sending plenty of vets this time around!

Goygereev lost to Bogomoev...Goygereev's wild & scramble style has caught up with him...crazy the 2013 world champ and what was it, fila best wrestler of the year, will likely not represent russia in 2014.

I really thought our team had a chance but this team is going to dominate. I still have hope though. I really like our odds on getting a team Silver. Man, Gadisov is a freakin monster! He looks like a Cyborg out there-especially this year. Man does he look hungry. I can not believe he has never won yet. He dominated every match and will destroy Yazdani or at least win this year. No reason for his training partner (Gatsalov) to even wrestle 97k-I agree with their coaches. Gadisov would have beat Gatsalov in another close match. I am sure the russian 125 champ will get a wrestle off with Gatsalov but he has dominated all their 125k guys so it seems pretty much a lock for him there. I see five Golds for this team:

125kg - K. Gatsalov: Gold

97kg - A. Gadisov Gold

86kg - A. Sadulaev Gold

74kg - D.Tsargush Silver/Bronze

70kg - K.Tsabolov Silver/Bronze

65kg - J. Otarsultanov 5th

61kg - B. Goygereev Gold

57kg - V.Lebedev Gold

Like 2 weeks ago you were claiming that Yazdani was the pound for pound best in the world "even better than Burroughs" yet now he will get destroyed or at least beat? All of the guys Gadisov beat at Russian nationals are not Yazdani.

Those of you thinking Russia will walk to the world team title with any team they put on the mat might want to let Iran know.

btw, Sajidov said that the reason Goygereev lost was because Bogomoev is much better. Said Goygereev doesn't give 100% in practice and is not committed 100% to training. And that he relies on experience now and not on training. ouch.

Dang, Sajidov crushed him. I cannot imagine a US coach saying that after a crushing defeat.

Ank, watch all of Gadisov's matches-he is very impressive. I wrote that right after watching him-was a little excited. He is amazing to watch. Your right no one there is Yazdani but he looks the best I have seen him. He is a perfect specimen of strength,super speed and flexibility! I know Gatsalov still wants a shot at the 213 because Yazdani is there and they don't like him. Much bigger test to win 97k that 125k. They didn't even bother letting Gatsalov wrestle because they knew Gadiisov is on a different level. This is Gadisov's year. And I do think Yazdani and Gadisov are the 2 best p4p guys in the world over Burroughs. Burroughs has a weak weight. That 19 year old iranian who Burroughs beat in the finals is not that good in comparison.