Sign in to follow this  
superold

Is Mark Cody a Great Coach?

Oh no, I must be on superold's do not engage list.

You have an opinion about Zalesky, or better yet a comparison of Cody and Zalesky's accomplishments?

Yes I do.

Then share it, great and powerful one

I'm sorry that answering my questions have become too difficult for you. I am no longer allowed to address superold in one of "his" threads, per his request. Feel free to regulate what topics I can and cannot respond to, but unfortunately in this free country I will choose for myself what to respond to. As will you.

Your negative propaganda towards coaches grows tiresome. If you start another thread similar to your previous ones and current one, I will comment. In the future if you want to tell me to stop engaging you, please do so outside of a PM or just go ahead and block me. Good day sir.

How about that Zalesky vs Cody comparison?

Your negative propaganda towards coaches grows tiresome. If you start another thread similar to your previous ones and current one, I will comment. In the future if you want to tell me to stop engaging you, please do so outside of a PM or just go ahead and block me. Good day sir.

There is no negative propaganda in my posts. Just because you choose to view my posts in that light doesn't make it a reality. I have no idea how this post has offended anyone. In what sense is this post negative? I gave my opinion on Cody as a coach, that's it. I'm not the only one who holds this opinion.

The previous coach ran the program into the ground with the 3 worst years in since wrestling scholarships started being offered in the late 1940s. Those three years were consecutive years. In the first year Cody was at OU, Wayne Wells said to me at Bedlam it is going to take 10 years to recover from what has been done to this program. I thought he was overstating it at the time, now I'm more in agreement with him.

OU will gradually improve over the next few years. One reason is there is more top flight wrestling talent in Oklahoma right now than I've seen in 20 years. John Smith says it is the best he's ever seen since he's been coaching. OSU will still get who they want the most of the time, but OU will get some pretty good kids, because OSU won't be able to give all of them scholarship money.

There are some things I think the team should be doing on the mat, technique-wise, that aren't being done. However, I do see kids getting better in the program after they arrive, that wasn't something that happened in the past.

Next topic please.

Courage....Power.....Insight.....Your posts say it all.

Of course, subtleties would be far too over your head, but then again, stalking takes precedent over intellergence anyday, eh, boy?

HOWEVER, anyone willing to offer up their apologies to me yet concerning lamebrain's stalking behaviors that I was apparently "imagining?" It looks as though I can't make a post again without the weirdo stalker having to follow it up with an UNSOLICITED post. I'm accepting apologies all day long, thanks, friends! :P

Cue flatbrain...NOW!

I'm very curious why people don’t think super-old ask noteworthy questions that add to stimulating discussions? I'd appreciate it if you'd tell us why it is not so? Even if you can, that doesn't make it a reality: I'm not the only one who holds this opinion? One thing I like about these questions is that through hard work he shows how coaches he likes or dislikes take programs to fully funded status. Question: Why do you believe it would be tougher to be super-old or another poster. I'm sure there's a lot of thought when someone said that they believed that Cael was a great coach? I may not be grasping at straws since it's possible that that was a deal. But I really think super-old is very curious? If you doubt super-old, do you think Alberto Rodriguez and Raul Cascare are as good as Cody! If yes. Why! If not, why no.

I am a fan of Mark Cody. I consider him to be a very good coach, but not yet a great one. Tim Flynn has done a very admirable job at Edinboro. He does have a the advantage of Bruce Baumgartner as the AD.

Mark proved through hard work that he was able to revive a program that was on its death bed. He has proven he can get a team to 5th in the country. At OU 5th place is a starting point, which he hasn't yet reached. The funding and facilities are there to produce a team that can compete for a national title.

The one thing he inherited was a bunch of "nice kids" who weren't good enough athletically by and large to compete for a national title. Port Robertson who built the OU program into a powerhouse told me more than once that the most worthless thing on a wrestling mat was a "nice kid". This next season will be one which with the exception of Cody Brewer and Justin DeAngelis are all his recruits. The team will be young and take some lumps early in the season, but I expect significant improvement during the season. DeAngelis will probably be at 149, he's was an undersized 157 pounder this past season. That has been a major problem in Mark's first 3 years at OU, he has had to wrestle several guys above the weight class they should have been at in order to field a competitive dual meet lineup. For the first time the team will be 2-deep at each weight class with his recruits. I expect to see a more physical style of wrestling throughout the lineup by the end of the season.

If he leads OU to a NCAA title then he's a great coach.

DeAngelis @ 149#...?? I think if he put some muscle on this summer, that would be great & I would consider him a legit 57lber...He has no body fat...If Justin cut to 49, I see a very unmotivated 5th year...Like his dad Frank, cutting weight is a DeAngelis's kryptonite!!

Some people have a talent for building where no one else wants to and they can make something happen where no one else could. Sometimes it's harder for that same person to do as well where resources are plentiful and expectations are far greater.

Justin was an undersized 157 pounder last year. If he put on enough muscle to be a legitimate sized 157 pounder that would be fine. Mark Cody isn't a fan of making kids cut weight. This will be the first time he has enough quality depth to have kids at their proper weight classes. If Justin goes 157 look for Oliver Pierce to be at 149.

My son wrestled for Coach Cody at American so from my experience he is a man of his word with extremely high ethics. IMO Coach cody is a excellent Coach with very good strategy for his wrestlers to win and improve. I would put him in the top tier in the coaching ranks.

Who do you believe is in the top tier?

Robinson, Smith, Brands, Sanderson, Zalesky, Ryan, Flynn, Smith, Cody I am sure others are in there. Schwab at UNI is young but seems to be doing all the right things to get the most out of his wrestlers. JMO

Thanks for sharing. I'm interested to see what Schwab does at UNI in the future.