Sign in to follow this  
sansbarksdale

A few changes that need to be made

First, the NCAA tournament needs to be moved up a week so it doesnt go head to head with NCAA basketball for viewers. This seems so obvious and no one ever says anything about it or tries to do anything about it. You're not growing the sport when the casual and die hard sports fans are always going to tune in to the basketball.

Second, there needs to be some kind of campaign to get the Vegas linemakers to start offering more betting option for the sport. If the bettors can bet it, they will watch and follow and that is a huge industry. NCAA Basketball and Football gets a lot of viewers and interest in the sport just from this.

First, the NCAA tournament needs to be moved up a week so it doesnt go head to head with NCAA basketball for viewers. This seems so obvious and no one ever says anything about it or tries to do anything about it. You're not growing the sport when the casual and die hard sports fans are always going to tune in to the basketball.

Second, there needs to be some kind of campaign to get the Vegas linemakers to start offering more betting option for the sport. If the bettors can bet it, they will watch and follow and that is a huge industry. NCAA Basketball and Football gets a lot of viewers and interest in the sport just from this.

Your first point has been brought up repeatedly. There have been discussions about it with the NCAA and ESPN as well as the coaches around the country. So you're incorrect when you say "no one" ever says anything about it, it's been discussed. ESPN doesn't have the rights to the NCAA men's basketball championships, so it's an open weekend for ESPN, which is one positive about that weekend. I agree that I'd like to see it away from basketball.

I disagree completely about gambling. In an individual sport, all it takes is one person taking a payoff to darken the entire sport. It's a slippery slope, but the possibility still exists. The defense of "wrestlers would never do that" is a falsehood, because even though we believe wrestlers are salt of the earth people, there are still sketchballs in every walk of life, including wrestling. Let's open the door to our sport, which for the most part represents some purity of athletics, to then look at something that's illegal in most states as a way to promote it?

Not buying your second thing. Just too many negatives that come into the fold.

gambling on sports makes them sooooo much better, especially to casual fans. march madness would be the same as regular season NCAA basketball if it wasn't for gambling.

BUT, i agree with Jason that it a slippery slope and NOT something the sport of wrestling is prepared to handle at this moment. to properly manage sports betting, as i see it, you need to pay professional athletes in that sport more than the bookies are able to. wrestling needs a thriving pro circuit, where guys can make a living wrestling, so that they have an incentive not to take cash to rig matches and tournaments.

there's lots of facets to the issue and i believe eventually getting lines on matches will be a good thing for the sport, but it has to evolve in step with the growth of wrestling. and as long as NCAA wrestling is the top draw in American wrestling its pretty much a non-starter.

maybe a better start is fantasy or rotisserie wrestling leagues or more game-like opportunities. still think thats a long way off though unfortunately.

anyway, just my 2 cents.

Totally disagree about gambling. This is misguided, and will lead to the corruption seen in all other major sports. Bad idea. Win or lose, major gambling is for low-life.

I was under the impression that you can bet on anything in Vegas. Therefore, I'd be surprised that betting lines aren't already offered.

DEFINITELY, and especially cue flatbrain, as well as Bob Dole...NOW!

There are betting lines on the ncaa wrestling tournament. It's just that a lot of sites don't offer the betting option but there odds available this year and in previous years. David Taylor was such an overwhelming favorite that if you bet $100 on him, you would win $8. lol

Why not go with the proposal of making wrestling a single semester sport and hold NCAA's at the end of April? It has been mentioned before.

Gambling would be good, during March Madness you see people's brackets everywhere and gets people tuning in.

Why not go with the proposal of making wrestling a single semester sport and hold NCAA's at the end of April? It has been mentioned before.

Gambling would be good, during March Madness you see people's brackets everywhere and gets people tuning in.

Div II,III nixed that idea. Div I generally has the advantage of coaches only coaching the one sport. The other div coaches often teach and coach other sports in the spring so they couldn't do it.

Well, wrestling has had excellent viewership recently while competing against NCAA hoops. I kind of like it where it is, and I refer to that weekend as the best (Sports) weekend of the year. Of course, I love watching March Madness, so I am probably in the minority.