Sign in to follow this  
Zelph

Ruth will have a better career than Taylor

Ed Ruth will win more than one World Title. David Taylor will have a tough time winning even one. He won't get past Jordan Burroughs until the Champ retires. Then he has Kyle Dake - IF Dake can come back from his injury.

Ed Ruth is smart on the mat, talented and works hard - same with Taylor.

Big difference is that Ruth will beat anyone the US throws at him to qualify while Taylor will hit the two roadblocks.

I don't know how their careers will turn out, but one thing that is obvious to me and probably to most is that Ruth simply has more upside at the moment because he's in a much steeper part of his considerable learning curve. He is so raw as a freestyler, it's sometimes painful to watch him (in a good way, considering his potential), whereas Taylor is already world-class and smooth. I'm not saying Taylor can't improve. Of course he can and he will. He's already shown significant improvement in just a year.

But Ruth just looks like he could be a completely different wrestler in a couple of years if he stays devoted to learning freestyle. The fact that he's already our World team rep in spite of his rawness says something about his potential.

I can see Ruth becoming USA's best wrestler until Pico takes over. This of course once Varner and Burroughs are done.

Burroughs is not necessarily done after 2016. Team USA looks to be very fun for the foreseeable future...this is just the beginning. The combination of Living the Dream and increase in endorsements may be the right combination of things to keep some of these guys around long term.

Right now Ruth doesn't have the obstacles in front of him like DT does (Burroughs and a healthy Dake). So, imho, it's too early to proclaim a victor. DT impressed me tremendously, giving Burroughs all he could handle. I don't count out an upset at some point.

But something else I've wondered about, and I think there was a thread about it a while back... is how does Ruth fare vs Q? That seems to be pretty well answered now, despite no head to head. Ruth seems to have pulled away from Q.

Where would you guys rank Taylor in the world among 74KG? 5th/ 8th? Where. Now, do the same for Ruth. Where would you rank him among the world at his weight?

I love both of these guys and I am not taking either side, just making a point.

Where would you guys rank Taylor in the world among 74KG? 5th/ 8th? Where. Now, do the same for Ruth. Where would you rank him among the world at his weight?

What point are you trying to make?

If you can't figure it out than you are a LOT less smart than you think you are. How is that for making a point?

If you can't figure it out than you are a LOT less smart than you think you are. How is that for making a point?

What was your intended point? Is it really that obvious? I don't see it that way.

If he did have a point to make, it was not a very good one. Let's assume that Taylor is from 5th to 8th best in the world, but the 3rd best in the US. Now let's assume that Ed Ruth is ranked out of the top 10 in the world, but will consistently make the world team. I would expect Ed Ruth to have a better international career.

My 1.5 Cents worth...

Taylor: He's behind arguably the best wrestler, pound-for-pound, on the planet right now, and he's giving him all he can handle. Taylor being 2nd or 3rd Best in the US will guarantee international experience, where he could medal or even win .

Ruth: He beat out what the US had to throw at him, however, none of them (except maybe Foster) has had much international luck. He made the world team, and will be a tough nut to crack on the international scene. On the flip-side, he may go 0-1 and done, or win it all. A huge question mark surrounds what will happen. Personally, I believe that this first World Team for Ruth will be a great learning experience, and it WILL make him better in the years to come.

So... is being behind the greatest wrestler on the planet worse or better than making a world team over guys who have had mediocre international success? I'm leaning 60%/40% in favor of Taylor having better success in the tournaments that he enters.

If Taylor is giving Burroughs "all he can handle," then he has it without winning any matches in the 4-5 (?) match series. Taylor has moved on from beating Dake in fantasy matches to beating the World Champ.

Did you just make up that Taylor is beating Burroughs in fantasy matchups?

I think so.

i dont know how anyone can be confident on predicting future international results. nothing is guaranteed.

to have both DT and Ruth commit to freestyle is great for the sport and great for us fans. wish there was a more regular, tennis style circuit for the top guys to compete in so we could see them more in action. having 3 top guys in one weight class wouldnt be that big a deal if there were 3 major open international tournaments that all the best from the world competed in, rather than 1 marquee tournament where each county only gets one representative.

i like the team now and see even more talent coming down the pike. should be a fun few years for USA wrestling.