Sign in to follow this  
TBar1977

Why Cael Sanderson Is a Great Recruiter (link)

"You have to spend the time and put the effort in because that's how you show a kid you want him in the program,'' Sanderson said.

"I think our biggest recruiting tool is what we're doing: listening to our kids, and seeing how they compete, and do they enjoy it, and reading interviews, and watching film, and getting an idea (about them) that way.''

Success breeds success.

"If you want them, you have to let them know.''

Recent results are showing that top recruits are not only listening, they're taking the pitch.

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ss ... nexac.html

Given his situation, Flynn is totally AWESOME!

Haines and Marstellar are great wrestlers. Haines isn't quite at the level of Nick Nevills, so that makes Cael's decision at Hwt. last year completely understandable. Chance needed a change of scenery as has been recounted many times by now.

Given his situation, Flynn is totally AWESOME!

Haines and Marstellar are great wrestlers. Haines isn't quite at the level of Nick Nevills, so that makes Cael's decision at Hwt. last year completely understandable. Chance needed a change of scenery as has been recounted many times by now.

I'm referencing Cael's "pitch", Haines and Marstellar bought it and then things changed. Being that there are very few people in the world that know the whole story in either incident, it leads me to wonder. Those two incidents, would cause me (if I were a blue chip recruit ;) ) to proceed with caution in regards to Cael. End of the day Cael made a decision he felt was best for his team and that is his job to do that, but it still causes me to question the validity of Cael's pitch.

So you're saying Tim Flynn is not an elite recruiter?

Flynn's obviously a great coach but son of a gun. I want your glasses. I didn't see Tim Flynn's name at all in TBar's post.

You could cover everyone simply by posting the following:

"So you're saying [insert coach name here] is not an elite recruiter?"

ocho, those two things are not even incidents except to opposing wrestling fans hurt that Cael keeps recruiting studs from just about everywhere.

Cael recruited Haines, so what/ Nevills comes along and he too wants to commit to Penn State. They BOTH could have come to Penn State if they wanted to, but Haines opted to not compete with Nevills and instead chose Ohio State. As great as Nevills is I can hardly blame him, but that doesn't mean Cael did anything except actively promote Penn State to the best of his ability.

Chance chose Penn State and Cael never waivered on him. Cael was at his doorstep trying to talk him out of his de commitment. Again, Cael did what was best for Penn State and the recruit. He just chose Okie State. No big deal.

Cael will land more studs shortly, despite your concerns. You should worry about John Robinson's rapidly advancing age more than what Cael is doing. That should be your biggest concern.

ocho, those two things are not even incidents except to opposing wrestling fans hurt that Cael keeps recruiting studs from just about everywhere.

Cael recruited Haines, so what/ Nevills comes along and he too wants to commit to Penn State. They BOTH could have come to Penn State if they wanted to, but Haines opted to not compete with Nevills and instead chose Ohio State. As great as Nevills is I can hardly blame him, but that doesn't mean Cael did anything except actively promote Penn State to the best of his ability.

Chance chose Penn State and Cael never waivered on him. Cael was at his doorstep trying to talk him out of his de commitment. Again, Cael did what was best for Penn State and the recruit. He just chose Okie State. No big deal.

Cael will land more studs shortly, despite your concerns. You should worry about John Robinson's rapidly advancing age more than what Cael is doing. That should be your biggest concern.

Sorry I blew up

J Rob's age isn't advancing any more rapidly than anyone else's age.

J Rob's age isn't advancing any more rapidly than anyone else's age.

And percentage-wise less.

Cael recruited Haines, so what/ Nevills comes along and he too wants to commit to Penn State. They BOTH could have come to Penn State if they wanted to, but Haines opted to not compete with Nevills and instead chose Ohio State.

That's not quite the picture presented in a Pennlive article last July:

“He (Sanderson) said that they didn’t feel Thomas was the right fit and maybe the verbal agreement was done too quickly and maybe they should have put a little more thought into it,’’ David Haines said about his conversation with Sanderson.

Source: http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ss ... er_default

It didn't sound like it was Haines' choice at all, it sounded like Haines was uninvited. Let's not keep making it seem like the kid backed out, it was the other way around!

Cael recruited Haines, so what/ Nevills comes along and he too wants to commit to Penn State. They BOTH could have come to Penn State if they wanted to, but Haines opted to not compete with Nevills and instead chose Ohio State.

“He (Sanderson) said that they didn’t feel Thomas was the right fit and maybe the verbal agreement was done too quickly and maybe they should have put a little more thought into it,’’ David Haines said about his conversation with Sanderson.

It didn't sound like it was Haines' choice at all, it sounded like Haines was uninvited. Let's not keep making it seem like the kid backed out, it was the other way around!

You realize that's from the kids dad?

Not saying it didn't happen as he said but when you are so close to a situation you can come away from it with a skewed perspective.

We don't know what Cael said to them or how he said it.

Ok. J Rob. At age 68 he is still getting up there in years which should be more of a concern to Minnesota fans than anything Cael Sanderson is doing. I think even you would agree with that statement.

Why be concerned with J Rob's age? He built the program he can leave on his own terms. It is not like the Gophers aren't still having plenty of success with a ripe J Rob. Also, when J Rob does step down we have a staff ready to hit the ground running. Sounds like you're an ageist TBar!

My initial response was directed at this comment from you.

"Recent results are showing that top recruits are not only listening, they're taking the pitch."-TBar

To which I essentially replied Cael is a great recruiter, but the Marstellar and Haines situations that happened seemed a little funky so I would not treat Cael's pitch like gold and would proceed with caution (meant as a hypothetical if I were in a recruiting situation). Then you got upset.

"ocho, those two things are not even incidents except to opposing wrestling fans hurt that Cael keeps recruiting studs from just about everywhere."-TBar

Cael "striking out" on arguably Pensylvania's top 2(of 3 with Nolf) instate recruits after having them committed is not even an incident? I think it's funny that you state these are non issues for PSU fans, when the PSU board was littered with topics about it as was every other forum and PSU fans were talking about it as well.

ocho, we Penn State fans are not focusing on negatives right now because there is no need to do so. We have won all the most recent four national championships by trusting cael Samnderson. Why change that now?

Cael Sanderson landed Nolf, Nevills, and Bo Nickal. That is three of the top ten P4P right there. You can't hardly do any better than that. Throw in Corey Rasheed who is a stud in his own right and you have a special class.

We all wish Haines and Marstellar the best. I also wish a kid like Ethan Lizak well. He chose your school, Minnesota. Penn State didn't recruit him, but we can still wish him well. Hey, does Penn State not recruiting Lizak qualify as "an incident" to you? :D

And last, J Rob is 68 while Cael is just north of 30, so J Rob's age has advanced pretty far down the road. He's well into social security status age now. Before you know it you are going to look up and he will be a totally different person just due to getting older. It happens, so be on guard for it.

You realize that's from the kids dad?

Not saying it didn't happen as he said but when you are so close to a situation you can come away from it with a skewed perspective.

We don't know what Cael said to them or how he said it.

Absolutely, I realize this is coming from Tommy Haine's father. He also said this:

“What upsets me is we see comments that if he can’t handle the competition, maybe he shouldn’t be at Penn State,’’ Haines said.

Given the specificity of details in the article cited, and given the lack of any other evidence or response to the contrary, a reasonably unbiased observer would probably conclude that things went down pretty much as Mr. Haines described; what is maddening in this, however, is the continued portrayal by SOME PSU fans of Tommy Haines as the one who backed out of the commitment, presumably because he was not up to the challange.

Why do the Penn State faithful continue to sling mud at Tommy Haines? It seems to me he made a smart choice in selecting Ohio State - he gets to wrestle for a national title contender, he gets treated with respect, he presumably gets a pretty good scholarship (which he would not have had at PSU) and he gets an opportunity to challenge Nevills potentially three times a year - dual meet, B1G Tourney, and NCAA's. And we also don't really know - would he REALLY have had an opportunity to challenge Nevills at PSU?

And don't get me wrong, I'm not taking issue (at least not based on the information available) with what Cael did in all of this, I think he did what he believed had to do. But the suggestion that Tommy Haines is somehow at fault in this incident, frankly, just stinks!

"ocho, we Penn State fans are not focusing on negatives right now because there is no need to do so."

I wasn't responding as a PSU fan, I was responding as a hypothetical college recruit. Therefore; I was looking at the negatives(I also complimented him as a great recruiter, but you just wanted to focus on the negatives I said ;) ). I apologize for straying away from In Cael We Trust on your thread.

"We have won all the most recent four national championships by trusting cael Samnderson. Why change that now? "

Samnderson, so he's the real mastermind of this huh?

"Cael Sanderson landed Nolf, Nevills, and Bo Nickal. That is three of the top ten P4P right there. You can't hardly do any better than that."

Landing Haines and/or Marstellar would have actually made it better than that, but I forget that it isn't even a big deal.

"We all wish Haines and Marstellar the best."

That's not true, open your eyes. You wish them the best as do many other, but certainly not all.

"Hey, does Penn State not recruiting Lizak qualify as "an incident" to you? "

This isn't close to similar. MN's Petry has been on fire lately, will be interesting to see those two crack skulls for the next 5 years hopefully.

"And last, J Rob is 68 while Cael is just north of 30, so J Rob's age has advanced pretty far down the road. He's well into social security status age now. Before you know it you are going to look up and he will be a totally different person just due to getting older. It happens, so be on guard for it."

I would see where you were coming from if MN had fallen to a below top 5 team annually in J Rob's elder years, but that isn't the case. J Rob and staff have the team competing for national titles annually. Are you gonna be booting Cael out the door at 68 if he is still having success?

Redblades, you should talk to ocho, because he is the one concerned with Haines. He, a Minnesota fan, is the one who brought Haiones up. And for what end? To knock Cael, just, well, ahem, because he could. Seems petty.

Haines had an opportunity to come to Penn State and compete with Nevills and instead opted for Ohio State. Good for him. I believe that Haines probably felt he was getting more schollie money than was the case, and when he realized how much it was he opted for a different school. No big deal. Not everyone is a good fit for Penn State. But that is all over now. Good luck to the kid.

My initial response was directed at this comment from you.

"Recent results are showing that top recruits are not only listening, they're taking the pitch."-TBar

I did not write that line, it came from the article.

You posted that comment to the board. My response to was directed to that comment. If you feel the need argue the semantics of it further you're on ur own.

Redblades, you should talk to ocho, because he is the one concerned with Haines. He, a Minnesota fan, is the one who brought Haiones up. And for what end? To knock Cael, just, well, ahem, because he could. Seems petty.

My apologies for talking about Cael's recruiting, in a Cael recruiting thread. You are starting to sound like superold in his threads where only his opinions are welcome and/or matter.