Sign in to follow this  
The_Education

Ben Askren, disc golf enthusiast, says soccer is not for men

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/7/1/586 ... lay-soccer

Undefeated welterweight Ben Askren is not convinced that soccer is a sport that parents should consider for their sons.

Ben Askren is clearly not a fan of soccer.

The former Bellator welterweight champion had some harsh criticism about the World Cup and the athletes that participate in it. He was particularly appalled with the amount of "faking" taking place in matches, deeming it unmanly.

"I’m not really a soccer fan. I understand they have skill and all that running up and down the pitch and what not.It was really the first time I watched soccer all year," Askren said in the video "I was really appalled when I am seeing all these guys falling on the ground, rolling around, crying. And then you know the worst part about it is, they show the instant replay and you can tell - most of these guys, they don't even get hit, they're faking it."

"There's no honor in faking an injury. There is no integrity because you are lying about it. And there's no toughness because you are in front of millions of people, and you're rolling around on the field, crying - CRYING - about a fake injury that never happened."

Askren expanded on his rant by proclaiming that parents that are interested in turning their sons into men should put them in wrestling programs and steer clear of soccer.

"When I'm thinking of sports, when I'm thinking of a boy growing up and being a man, I'm thinking of three things - honor, integrity, and toughness. And a grown man, faking an injury, rolling around on the field fails all three of those tests. Listen folks, if you want your son to grow up to be a man, don't have him run around on a field kicking a ball, get him wrestling."

I like how he dragged the kid into this crazy video: Clearly repeating a memorized script, "I broke my nose and finished off the week of camp because I'm a man".

It's amazing how between Askren and Hendricks, their roles have completely reversed from college until now. Askren is now the easy to hate villain, while Hendricks is the star that is fun to root for.

Sounds like he is trying to make a CageFighter public service announcement.

FYI, two American Soccer players broke their nose during World Cup games. One continued to play through it and the other returned to the line up the next game. At least in terms of "flopping" the US team wasn't anywhere near the top of the list.

Askren is great. Basically he said what we all say at the water cooler. You get these guys on a world stage and they have no integrity what so ever. And their countrymen support this action, I imagine? I would absolutely rather lose than win by rolling around on the ground, crying, and begging the referee to bail me out with a penalty. I would understand it in women's soccer, but men?

I totally agree with Askren on the fake crying, and rolling around like they just got shot. Then 10 seconds later they're up running around at full strength.

My line was always, of all the pro sports, soccer players are the biggest wimps.

I joked with my buddies about this earlier in the world cup when Russia played South Korea. Anytime one of their players got knocked down, they got right back up and kept on playing. Nobody rolled around faking injuries. The joke was, "well when you worry about shaming your families or not being welcomed back into your home country, you cut the crap and go out and play as hard as you can."

i wouldnt call those soccer players wimps, i just think the sport needs to do a better job of policing the flops.

im not a big soccer guy but from what i understand, because there is only one ref, everyone develops in a system where flopping is incetivized, as you need to draw the refs attention and gaining penalty kicks can give a team a huge advantage. when you dont have 20 HD tv cameras following the action, there's no downside because there's no replay and no public shaming. but when the get to the top professional tiers of competition, you still only have one ref, but now you have everyone watching you make up a bunch injuries to trying to game the system.

they do a fair amount of banging at the world cup. i am impressed by the physicality. the flopping is embarrassing tho. so is tevez and all his fans that are trying to act like his punishment for biting another human being in the middle of a sporting event for the 3rd time is somehow disproportionate or part of an anti-Uruguayan bias.

all part of the spectacle i guess.

what's wrong with disc golf? Nothing.

You don't run as much as in Ultimate?

That having been said in general, I suspect Ben might run as much in golf as in Ultimate. A few years ago he had a clinic down the NJ shore on either Thursday or Friday and then at Lehigh (2-3 hours normal driving) on Sunday. He told me he had mapped out 15 courses to play on the way. Mostly on Saturday. How is that even possible?

i wouldnt call those soccer players wimps, i just think the sport needs to do a better job of policing the flops.

im not a big soccer guy but from what i understand, because there is only one ref, everyone develops in a system where flopping is incetivized, as you need to draw the refs attention and gaining penalty kicks can give a team a huge advantage. when you dont have 20 HD tv cameras following the action, there's no downside because there's no replay and no public shaming. but when the get to the top professional tiers of competition, you still only have one ref, but now you have everyone watching you make up a bunch injuries to trying to game the system.

they do a fair amount of banging at the world cup. i am impressed by the physicality. the flopping is embarrassing tho. so is tevez and all his fans that are trying to act like his punishment for biting another human being in the middle of a sporting event for the 3rd time is somehow disproportionate or part of an anti-Uruguayan bias.

all part of the spectacle i guess.

You mean (Luis) Suarez. (Carlos) Tevez is Argentinan, and did not make their World Cup roster.

Didn't mean to disrespect all soccer players with my "wimp" comment. Of course, these soccer players on TV are world class athletes, and many of them (probably most?) don't flop. But the ones that do, look like little 3 year olds rolling on the ground screaming in agony.

IMO, the floppers are terrible role models for the kids around the world.

Didn't mean to disrespect all soccer players with my "wimp" comment. Of course, these soccer players on TV are world class athletes, and many of them (probably most?) don't flop. But the ones that do, look like little 3 year olds rolling on the ground screaming in agony.

Agree 100%

However, the floppers are exceedingly good roll models.

Right, exceedingly good role models to all the frauds. You can have all those frauds on your team.

I'll take the honest tough soccer players.

Right, exceedingly good role models to all the frauds. You can have all those frauds on your team.

Whooooosh, right over your head. Re-read what he wrote.

Please check my spelling.

The game rewards becoming a victim. There is a clear cut reward system that shows if you can not overcome any type of physical adversity, someone in power will run in to save you and give you an opportunity. Askren is 100% right, like him or not.

Somehow ...Someway, the "Flopping" has to be policed better. It' embarrassing IMO. More ref's? And penalties for flopping?

And BTW ... Those World Class guys are in Damn Good Shape !!! That one match where America was in, at like 80% humidity, 80+ degrees, for the entire match??? WOW.