Sign in to follow this  
The_Education

Ben Askren, disc golf enthusiast, says soccer is not for men

Somehow ...Someway, the "Flopping" has to be policed better. It' embarrassing IMO. More ref's? And penalties for flopping?

And BTW ... Those World Class guys are in Damn Good Shape !!! That one match where America was in, at like 80% humidity, 80+ degrees, for the entire match??? WOW.

^^^

They have pushed the refs to offer more Yellow Cards for delaying the game if they see a player intentionally "flopping" or "over acting " during a fall. From what I hear it was called a couple times during the WC so far but just like stalling in wrestling not as much as we would like. One of the issues is the amount of files to cover by one single main ref who many times sees the fall but has a hard time making outré contact. The multiple angle cameras wrg replay do auch better job anylysizing the action for us watching than a ref in the middle of things who sisney right by the contact.

Askren is dealing with his increasing irrelevance in the sport by

1- Calling people wussies

2- playing the monkey to Disabato's accordion

3- calling out (insert, begging) Kyle Dake to wrestle him.

sad times

1. Call a spade a spade we live in a society where the truth is wrong.

2.Ben has been a great promoter of wrestling and himself something few can do. He is great for the sport entertaining to watch and has a skill set that puts him among the best in world. You may disagree with an individual but should not be so quick to criticize someone who took promoted wrestling in front of millions Bellator undefeated Champ.

3. He is a competitor and I truly believe feels he could beat Dake. If you thought you could beat one of the best in the sport wouldn't you try to make it happen and make it happen in front of a large audience? Truth be told I would not be surprised to see Ben beat Dake in a folk match at a catch weight and that is no knock on Kyle I love dake despite my signature!

What's worse. A soccer player exaggerating the effects of foul once in a while? Or a wrestler wrestling defensively when he's over-matched and crawling out of bounds when he's about to be taken down?

There is an easy way to tell how people value soccer performances versus wrestling performances. Soccer clubs are the most valuable sports franchises in the world, and soccer players make up 15% of the top 100 highest paid athletes. Meanwhile, both wrestling clubs are wrestlers are worth almost nothing. So I suppose the market has spoken pretty clearly.

Fun fact (while we're talking about soccer and wrestling):

Kyle Beckerman (starting midfielder for the U.S. squad) was a high school state champ (Maryland) in wrestling before devoting his energies to soccer full time. He's the little brother of Nebraska All-American and current Brown head Coach Todd Beckerman.

What's worse. A soccer player exaggerating the effects of foul once in a while? Or a wrestler wrestling defensively when he's over-matched and crawling out of bounds when he's about to be taken down?

There is an easy way to tell how people value soccer performances versus wrestling performances. Soccer clubs are the most valuable sports franchises in the world, and soccer players make up 15% of the top 100 highest paid athletes. Meanwhile, both wrestling clubs are wrestlers are worth almost nothing. So I suppose the market has spoken pretty clearly.

Miley Cyrus and Cher make a lot of money too.

Soccer does the exact same thing. When the ball is in your backfield and you are outmatched, you kick it out of bounds when they are about to score so your opponent must stop all offensive action and restart. The only difference is that in wrestling you get penalized, and in soccer its considered good strategy.

Does Ben go too far with his tweets? Now he is calling out Johnny Hendricks on Twitter. For the most part, I like Ben and understand that he is marketing himself. I assume that Ben is signed to a contract with his current employer. Would there be a clause that would allow him to take a UFC fight if offered? It's cool that Ben can make a good living as an athlete but Ben was not signed to the UFC for a reason. His call outs are becoming somewhat pathetic.

Does Ben go too far with his tweets? Now he is calling out Johnny Hendricks on Twitter. For the most part, I like Ben and understand that he is marketing himself. I assume that Ben is signed to a contract with his current employer. Would there be a clause that would allow him to take a UFC fight if offered? It's cool that Ben can make a good living as an athlete but Ben was not signed to the UFC for a reason. His call outs are becoming somewhat pathetic.

Ben was not signed to a deal because he is actually to good at what he does. Dana wants guys that kickbox as Ben says "I don't care if you know what I'm going to do" "I'm going to walk across the ring grab you throw you to the ground and then punch you in the face" "I'm that damn good at what I do" For the most part Ben is right he is so damn good at what he can do that it elimates the unknown aka excitement I think Dana looks for.

and...the market is a bunch of wusses.... which is why wrestlers don't have an affinity for it.(soccer)

This post, and Askren calling World Class athletes pussies, is why the rest of the country doesn't have an affinity for us

Guillermo........... they don't have an affinity for us because "they" can't do what we do........... ANYONE can play soccer. That is why it is popular...it's EASY. Anything that is difficult has fewer participants. The competitive weight lifting group is a good example.

Ben was not signed to a deal because he is actually to good at what he does. Dana wants guys that kickbox as Ben says "I don't care if you know what I'm going to do" "I'm going to walk across the ring grab you throw you to the ground and then punch you in the face" "I'm that damn good at what I do" For the most part Ben is right he is so damn good at what he can do that it elimates the unknown aka excitement I think Dana looks for.

Askren is making excuses for why Dana won't give him a contract. Maybe Mr. Askren shouldn't have been a Twitter tough guy with Dana White and he would be in the UFC right now.

Askren is making excuses for why Dana won't give him a contract. Maybe Mr. Askren shouldn't have been a Twitter tough guy with Dana White and he would be in the UFC right now.

Exactly

Ben doesn't want to wrestle internationally because he doesn't want to be 3rd/4th string.

His call outs of everyone are getting sad, like attention seeking behavior.

This clown actually typed that he isn't in the UFC because he is TOO Good

I didn't say he is to good at MMA I said he is to good at his specific skill set aka will always go to it and in most cases win his fight that is a skill set Dana sees as boring to the fans.

Lets be honest Ben would beat many of the current guys in the UFC but isnt there bc Dana is making a point Ben would be an instant top 5/10 guy in the ufc.

I didn't say he is to good at MMA I said he is to good at his specific skill set aka will always go to it and in most cases win his fight that is a skill set Dana sees as boring to the fans.

Lets be honest Ben would beat many of the current guys in the UFC but isnt there bc Dana is making a point Ben would be an instant top 5/10 guy in the ufc.

Askren isn't top 5 in the UFC right now. He has yet to beat anyone significant. I can semi-agree that he would be top 10, but it is hard to tell with the level of fighters he has faced so far. All of the current top 15 in the UFC would beat everyone he has faced to date.

The best guy he has faced was Jay Hieron who he won a split decision against. Heiron was KO'd by Tyron Woodley in 36 seconds and lost by unanimous decision to Jake Ellenberger. He looks to be the only opponent Askren has faced in his last 10 fights that is or was in the UFC.

Askren isn't top 5 in the UFC right now. He has yet to beat anyone significant. I can semi-agree that he would be top 10, but it is hard to tell with the level of fighters he has faced so far. All of the current top 15 in the UFC would beat everyone he has faced to date.

Everyone in the top ten minus Askren (8) is in the UFC. How do you propose he beats top guys when he isnt allowed to fight them?

Everyone in the top ten minus Askren (8) is in the UFC. How do you propose he beats top guys when he isnt allowed to fight them?

Suck up to Dana White would be his best option right now. He ran his mouth and now has to pay for it.

In wrestling, Burroughs would beat Askren comfortably every time, and Askren knows it.

In MMA, I'd only favor Hendricks. Hendricks is far better at striking, and he also has the ability to keep from getting taken down and to get up once he's down. A few guys are question marks. MacDonald. If MacDonald could keep it standing I think he could win by peppering Askren with strikes for three rounds. MacDonald has long arms, and he knows how to use them. Woodley has solid wrestling credentials, and he has good enough striking, but is that enough to beat Askren? I don't know. Lombard. He's a stocky, powerful judoka. I really have no idea how he would match up with Askren. My gut says Askren would win, but you never know.

In disc golf, I don't see Askren getting by Paul McBeth. McBeth is just too good and too consistent.

Suck up to Dana White would be his best option right now. He ran his mouth and now has to pay for it.

Askren was rejected by the UFC before he ran his mouth. If Askren still wants to be in the UFC, I'm not sure his strategy of constantly insulting Dana White is going to get him closer to his goal. But then again, I'm no public image consultant, so how would I know.

Also, in the latest ESPN rankings, Askren is ranked 4.