Sign in to follow this  
superold

Is Tom Ryan a Great Coach?

I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts. Please include your reasoning with your response. Ryan's popularity over the last 24 hours made me think of his coaching career. (I mention this because some want to me to explain my motives for starting threads.)

I've heard quite a few people say that Ryan's team is the team to beat next year! Ryan has a chance to win his first NCAA team title and coach the fourth 4 time NCAA champion in history. I'm sure there is a lot of excitement at Ohio State right now. This season should be very interesting! :)

Don't take Xerox Superold's bait! You have been warned.

No bait here (there's never been any "bait" on all of my threads btw) I just want to hear the opinions of the forum members.

I wouldn't mind hearing your opinion Tbar.

The pressure is on for tOSU to win the team title this year. Anything less will be a disappointment, and I don't see how they do it after the Stieber's graduate. Ryan has made them relevant for the hunt and I see them in the top-5 for years to come A.S. (after Stieber).

The pressure is on for tOSU to win the team title this year. Anything less will be a disappointment, and I don't see how they do it after the Stieber's graduate. Ryan has made them relevant for the hunt and I see them in the top-5 for years to come A.S. (after Stieber).

I would not consider him a great coach now, but after next year, if he wins a national championship, then I would consider him a great coach...because that would completely change who he is as a coach :roll:

Is it really so radical a concept to want to see a championship out of a coach before calling him "great"? I consider Ryan and Koll very good coaches, but I do not consider them quite at the same level as Sanderson, Brands, JRob or Smith. I understand there is a valid counter argument, especially in the case of a guy like Flynn, but it is far from trolling for someone to use a national championship as part of the criteria to consider a coach great. Ryan has everything in place to have a great year, but I think he does need to actually win it all to consider him great.

Now I like Zalesky and I knew both of them from their Prairie days and liked them at that; but I'd say because he inherited the team from Gable. How many has Jim won since leaving Iowa?

Now I like Zalesky and I knew both of them from their Prairie days and liked them at that; but I'd say because he inherited the team from Gable. How many has Jim won since leaving Iowa?

Only reason I asked was because he mentioned four of the five active coaches who have won championships, but left out Zalesky.

This year will tell how good a coach Tom Ryan is. He's done a good job of recruiting, but has had some bad luck in terms of career ending injuries (Collin Palmer is one i remember). He hasn't been as good as I thought he would be. He was the 3rd choice after Cael Sanderson and Tom Brands. Iowa State and Iowa fired Bobby Douglas and Jim Zalesky the same day to avoid losing them to Ohio State. iowa State gave Douglas a job where he didn't have to do much, but he did say he was fired the day it happened.

Ohio State needs to get it done this next year, because Penn State and OSU will be loaded after next year for a few years.