Sign in to follow this  
Poohbear

Russ Cozart speech

Crickets? I told you I was done with you.

Recruited? Or just happened to transfer in? Do you believe that this coach hasn't reached out to any of these other kids? Really? Lol.

Leadership is gaming a system to produce false results? Having your priorities so out of whack that you recruit kids for HS wrestling?

Question: A real one (not a supernut one)... can you tell me how many kids you know personally who have had any psychological, performance, or professional issues in their lives because they were recruited to a great school to wrestle for?

I honestly do not know of any... but that is just me

NJWC said: "My point is not that it hurts wrestlers at all."

Thank you very much. I thought so. That should settle it... It doesn't hurt people... and I would say it can only help them. Thanks for your response.

The point, my half retarded buddy, was that it's ironic that a guy that games the system would have the balls to give a lecture on leadership. A guy that told his own sons they're not good enough to compete without being held back would speak to leadership? Really?

It had nothing to do with helping/harming anyone. Your reading comp stinks.

It's clear that you BELIEVE he HAS reached out to kids that have transferred. Again, you speak in absolutes. You even speak in plurals. I (and other posters) are simply asking that you name ONE athlete you know of, who was recruited by Russ Cozart. Whether you produce that name through facts or even ANECDOTAL EVIDENCE, I don't care. Just name ONE. If you can't, leave the libel and slander of Russ Cozart out of your mouth.

You called someone "half retarded." That MBA from Phoenix Online is doing you wonders buddy. What you don't seem to understand is that your own insecurities and jealousy are blinding you from giving credit to the success of Russ Cozart and Brandon. You don't speak about how hard he works, and the sacrifices he's made. You speak only of "hold backs" and transfers.

To date, you have yet to name a SINGLE transfer Russ recruited. To date, you have failed to show in ONE INSTANCE, where a Brandon "hold back" did NOT produce at the age group level (Tulsa, Schoolboy, Cadet, etc.)

I feel like dissecting you further. Reasons I know you are jealous - your ENTIRE argument that it is "ironic" that Cozart speak on leadership is based entirely on informal fallacies:

Divine fallacy - I cannot imagine how this could be true, therefore it must be false.

(You don't believe those that transferred to Brandon, did so of their own volition)

Silence fallacy - where the conclusion is based on the absence of evidence, rather than the existence of evidence. (You have produced no evidence that Russ Cozart has, in fact, recruited an athlete)

Argumentum ad hominem – the evasion of the actual topic by directing the attack at your opponent.

(you're not as good at this as you think. Your paltry use of the English Language and its insults prove your lack of command of the english language)

Onus probandi - I need not prove my claim, you must prove it is false

(Again, your only claim is, "Do you believe that this coach hasn't reached out to any of these other kids? Really? Lol.)

Circular cause and consequence – where the consequence of the phenomenon is claimed to be its root cause

(You believe that the advanced age of the Brandon wrestlers is the root cause of their underachievement at the NCAA level. Even though it is PROVEN, that that is not the case, based on the, easily found, evidence of the ages of the LAST 20 YEARS OF NCAA DIVISION I ALL AMERICANS)

Need I do more? I can keep this up forever. Nothing better than reminding a fool where he may sit amongst the wise.

You believe that the advanced age of the Brandon wrestlers is the root cause of their underachievement at the NCAA level. Even though it is PROVEN, that that is not the case, based on the, easily found, evidence of the ages of the LAST 20 YEARS OF NCAA DIVISION I ALL AMERICANS)

Is this what you're saying NJWC.?I didn't read you that way. Is Vhsalum's interpretation of your post correct?

Need I do more? I can keep this up forever. Nothing better than reminding a fool where he may sit amongst the wise.

Are you referring to yourself as "the wise" Vhsalum?

Can anyone confirm if Coach Cozart held his sons back for wrestling reasons?

Why does it matter, in anyway, to anyone, if a kid is held back, for ANY reason, if the kid is of legal age to wrestle in Jr. or Sr. Highschool?

I see no reason why any person should care if a child's parents feel it is in the best interest of thier child to stay back a year.

You believe that the advanced age of the Brandon wrestlers is the root cause of their underachievement at the NCAA level. Even though it is PROVEN, that that is not the case, based on the, easily found, evidence of the ages of the LAST 20 YEARS OF NCAA DIVISION I ALL AMERICANS)

Is this what you're saying NJWC.?I didn't read you that way. Is Vhsalum's interpretation of your post correct?

Of course that's not what I'm saying. The self proclaimed "wise one" (delusional) misinterpreted. I didn't say they fail at the next level because they're older. I said that some of their success in HS is due to the age advantage, and they become exposed at the collegiate level when the age factor isn't as pronounced.

Of course that's not what I'm saying. The self proclaimed "wise one" (delusional) misinterpreted. I didn't say they fail at the next level because they're older. I said that some of their success in HS is due to the age advantage, and they become exposed at the collegiate level when the age factor isn't as pronounced.

Thanks NJWC. That's how I interpreted your post. :)

No. HERE is what you said (amongst many other inflammatory things):

It produces results that suggest the program is producing a tremendous number of outstanding wrestlers, when in reality it's producing college sophomore aged kids that do well vs kids that are of normal high school age.

Moonwalk much? I do love how you have clearly back-tracked and omitted any use of the word transfer in your latest response. But no. I did not misinterpret what you wrote. It must hurt to be proven so wrong by your own words! The Brandon program produces results at ALL age/experience levels. That's Tulsa, Schoolboy, Cadet, Junior and yes NCAA.

Newsflash! EVERYONE becomes exposed at the NCAA level. You're either that athletically gifted, mentally tough, love to train and can avoid injury or NOT.

Now, let's move on to why you are receiving so much vitriol in this thread:

Leadership is gaming a system to produce false results? Having your priorities so out of whack that you recruit kids for HS wrestling?

Don't try and change the subject (the Brandon wrestlers are exposed at the NCAA level). You have been proven wrong that:

a) Brandon wrestlers don't have a SINGLE OCCURRENCE of producing a "false result." i.e. no rule-breaking.

b) you have yet to provide a SINGLE OCCURRENCE of Russ Cozart recruiting an athlete, whether through actual evidence or an anecdotal one.

I used to coach in Hillsborough County, and find most of the conversations about Brandon tedious, so I'll make this one comment, and everyone here can call me a coward for not responding further.

I'm pretty open-minded regarding parents doing whatever they want/need in order to further their children's lot in life. Parents move all of the time to better their circumstances for themselves and their children. Also, Kids are getting held back for all sorts of reasons these days (my own kid will be closer to 20 than 19 when he graduates high school because of his October birthday and the laws here in Maryland). In general, I think this is all very positive for kids.

From a wrestling perspective, colleges are looking more warily at situations like Brandon these days. Advantages that Brandon kids have (age, year-round coaching, questionable in-state competition) get leveled out in college. Like other studs moving up the ranks, some struggle with dealing with failure at the next level. All other things being equal, if I were coaching in college, I'd recruit someone who has more consistently faced tougher competition in states like PA, NJ, NY, CA, MN, WI, but that's me.

All that being said, those posters who have to spend screed after screed defending a high school wrestling program really should examine WHY they have to spend screed after screed defending a high school wrestling program. You all come off as awfully defensive. I can't imagine why you would ever, ever feel that way...;-)

I used to coach in Hillsborough County, and find most of the conversations about Brandon tedious, so I'll make this one comment, and everyone here can call me a coward for not responding further.

I'm pretty open-minded regarding parents doing whatever they want/need in order to further their children's lot in life. Parents move all of the time to better their circumstances for themselves and their children. Also, Kids are getting held back for all sorts of reasons these days (my own kid will be closer to 20 than 19 when he graduates high school because of his October birthday and the laws here in Maryland). In general, I think this is all very positive for kids.

From a wrestling perspective, colleges are looking more warily at situations like Brandon these days. Advantages that Brandon kids have (age, year-round coaching, questionable in-state competition) get leveled out in college. Like other studs moving up the ranks, some struggle with dealing with failure at the next level. All other things being equal, if I were coaching in college, I'd recruit someone who has more consistently faced tougher competition in states like PA, NJ, NY, CA, MN, WI, but that's me.

All that being said, those posters who have to spend screed after screed defending a high school wrestling program really should examine WHY they have to spend screed after screed defending a high school wrestling program. You all come off as awfully defensive. I can't imagine why you would ever, ever feel that way...;-)

100% accurate. There are morons everywhere, and the most vocal (obsessive?) public defender of that program in FLA is a prime example. He/she wouldn't get so worked up if deep down he/she didn't know I was right.

Time to move on.

aaaaaand you STILL have nothing to back up your claims. You still take the loss.

Using the proverbial, "red herring" fallacy (i.e., now its my DEFENSE of the Brandon program that proves/validates your claims) , does nothing but continually show your ignorance and jealousy.

Feel free to be the boy who cried wolf.

aaaaaand you STILL have nothing to back up your claims. You still take the loss.

Using the proverbial, "red herring" fallacy (i.e., now its my DEFENSE of the Brandon program that proves/validates your claims) , does nothing but continually show your ignorance and jealousy.

You really are an odd person. I'm guessing a 15 year old wrestling manager? You keep score on the internet? Are you a 19 year old Brandon internet champ? Lol.

See ya putz.

You really are an odd person. I'm guessing a 15 year old wrestling manager? You keep score on the internet? Are you a 19 year old Brandon internet champ? Lol.

See ya putz.

NJWC scores again! Argumentum ad hominem! It's AMAZING! NO ONE can see through his thinly veiled attempts at distracting the conversation with 1960s era insults!

I still never got an answer to my questions. I guess you can say anything on this board without information to back it up. People are funny. Cleveland is now embracing a person whose uniform they burned a few years ago. It is now acceptable to make up the facts to fit ones opinion. Hell, the Federal gov is full of @#$% so why should the jokers on this site be any different. It is just disappointing to me.

I am not affiliated with Brandon, but have seen young men coached by this man as kids win state for other schools. (2 seasons ago one beat a Brandon kid in the finals) Yes, not all of the kids who wrestle for their kids club go to the HS. As far as I know he is a stand up guy. I have talked to parents who drive an hour to attend his kids club just so their kid can learn from him. I would not call that gaming the system. It seems to me he has been a very good leader for people to put that much value in his teaching ability. I am fairly certain no person has driven an hour to learn from any of the jokers posting on this site.

I know that "fan" is short for fanatic and that is probably a better term for some of us, but I do not think it is right for someone to make unsubstantiated accusations about someone. If you have facts then I am willing to listen. I do think it is more likely jealousy or sour grapes. I live in Fl and have followed the sport since 1983 and I can say Brandon out works everyone. I have been around lesser coaches in the state who do not share the same work ethic and they are the first ones to try to take shots at Brandon, OHS, South Dade and Lake Highland. Well these are the schools with coaches who work their butts off. I for one would have wrestled for any of them. If they are shown to have broken rules or done anything unethical then they should be ridiculed, but I feel it is a very small minded person who just runs with rumor and innuendo.

I was sent this video by a family member and thought it had some interesting information so I shared it. It was not my intention to open this man up to attacks on a public forum. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and It is certainly easy enough to take shots at someone over the internet. I just wonder what the haters have accomplished in their lives that make them more knowledgeable about leading young men than this man. Once again I am willing to change my opinion if someone can share some facts with me.