Sign in to follow this  
dclark145

Puerto Rico National Team

Does anyone happen to know the qualifying process for the National Team of Puerto Rico? I always hear about wrestlers moving countries and obtaining citizenship to wrestle elsewhere, but with Puerto Rico being an unincorporated territory of the US, what exactly is the rationale for a US wrestler who wants to represent PR? Do they need to be of Puerto Rican/Taino heritage, born there, or could any American try to qualify for their team?

I do know that Franklin Gomez(MSU) and Jaime Espinal train at the NLWC, but I do not know the specifics of the situation.

Does anyone happen to know the qualifying process for the National Team of Puerto Rico? I always hear about wrestlers moving countries and obtaining citizenship to wrestle elsewhere, but with Puerto Rico being an unincorporated territory of the US, what exactly is the rationale for a US wrestler who wants to represent PR? Do they need to be of Puerto Rican/Taino heritage, born there, or could any American try to qualify for their team?

I do know that Franklin Gomez(MSU) and Jaime Espinal train at the NLWC, but I do not know the specifics of the situation.

I would guess that they have their own criteria for being eligible for their team. It could either be really simple or very complex. Being a US citizen is probably the first step, then I'd guess either having some type of heritage (ie: a parent from there or being born there yourself), actually living there for some period of time, or some other connection to the island. But you'd probably have to talk with the people in charge or their federation.