Sign in to follow this  
SetonHallPirate

Big Ten scheduling = a joke

How does the Big Ten scheduling office schedule Rutgers to host the consensus top four teams (nearly certainly attempting to guarantee an 0-9 season for the Scarlet Knights) and Nebraska (probably the fifth-best team in the Big Ten, but could well be in range to give Penn State a run this year) to not wrestle any of the aforementioned top four, and attempt to guarantee them a share of the Big Ten title. I understand that there's a rotation system in place, but you would think the rotation would have a somewhat more equitable set of matchups for each of the three years in the rotation, right?

i think the idea is the create excitement at RU and UMD in their inaugural seasons by letting them host the 4 biggest draws in the conference. it definitely skews the scheduling for teams like Nebraska. wouldn't be surprised if the schedules are more balances aft the 14-15 season.

also wouldnt be surprised if UMD and RU host many of those duals this upcoming year in their basketball arenas. pretty sure RU has already scheduled all 4 duals for the RAC.

i think the idea is the create excitement at RU and UMD in their inaugural seasons by letting them host the 4 biggest draws in the conference. it definitely skews the scheduling for teams like Nebraska. wouldn't be surprised if the schedules are more balances aft the 14-15 season.

also wouldnt be surprised if UMD and RU host many of those duals this upcoming year in their basketball arenas. pretty sure RU has already scheduled all 4 duals for the RAC.

I hope you're right. Rutgers has scheduled all four home Big Ten duals for the Louis Brown Athletic Center (or, as the non-Seton Hall people refer to it, the RAC). I doubt Maryland will do the same thing, as their dual with Penn last year was only moved to the pumpkin-pushing facility because the Pavilion (the regular gym) was taken by a gymnastics closed-practice intrasquad (not a joke).

I hope you're right. Rutgers has scheduled all four home Big Ten duals for the Louis Brown Athletic Center (or, as the non-Seton Hall people refer to it, the RAC). I doubt Maryland will do the same thing, as their dual with Penn last year was only moved to the pumpkin-pushing facility because the Pavilion (the regular gym) was taken by a gymnastics closed-practice intrasquad (not a joke).

its too bad Cole Field House appears to only be used for intramural and student activities. i think it would work great for a big time wrestling match.

B10 is about $$$ and lots of it. Plus the "big four" appreciate the trip West just for advertising/marketing purposes.

Pretty sure all of the B10 schools recruit NJ.

B10 is about $$$ and lots of it. Plus the "big four" appreciate the trip West just for advertising/marketing purposes.

Pretty sure all of the B10 schools recruit NJ.

And will those "Big Four" appreciate not getting that trip East for each of the next two years after that?

Because a true scheduling would continue to open the eyes of our bottom tier. If they would come aboard and say beat MSU, Purdue, IU. What would that say about our overall conference

i ran this through google translate and got nothing. can anyone interrupt for me? thanks!

It's kind of hard to interrupt someone on a message board. :lol:

Because a true scheduling would continue to open the eyes of our bottom tier. If they would come aboard and say beat MSU, Purdue, IU. What would that say about our overall conference

i ran this through google translate and got nothing. can anyone interrupt for me? thanks!

It's kind of hard to interrupt someone on a message board. :lol:

good catch. i meant interpret. typos are the best, so fun.

If Wisconsin misses the top four, they have a good shot at being tied for first. They really have a good young team.

I don't see it. Nebraska also misses the top four, plus gets Wisconsin at home (December 13th). The table really is set for them to go 9-0, with their toughest tests being at Illinois and Michigan.

I honestly don't think Wisconsin is much better than the eighth or ninth best team in a Big Ten that is, even by their standards, loaded this year.

I honestly don't think Wisconsin is much better than the eighth or ninth best team in a Big Ten that is, even by their standards, loaded this year.

I hope that is your abacus talking and not your eyeball test.

I hope that is your abacus talking and not your eyeball test.

My abacus does a better job than my eyeball test. Therefore, I use my abacus more often than my eyeballs, including with that prognostication.

If Wisconsin misses the top four, they have a good shot at being tied for first. They really have a good young team.

That's true, but a dual meet record is a pretender's crown; fans know enough to assess the true quality of a team after the individual tournament dust settles.

I really don't think the conference did the Badgers any favors - it helps to see that competition at least once before all the marbles are on the table in the B1G tournament and the NCAA.

I continually hear on this forum about how dominate the big 10 is and that by simply going to the big ten will make teams better. I have stated before that I just don't buy that. If the big ten keeps getting more teams eventually they will be a big conference with a few really good teams, but only a 3-4. Now the schedule comes out and I see teams like Wisconsin and Nebraska with pretty easy big ten schedules and I have to ask how that is so much better than teams in the MAC (for example) will have? To top it off, if you look at Wisconsin's schedule, they have a pretty soft schedule outside of the big 10.

I continually hear on this forum about how dominate the big 10 is and that by simply going to the big ten will make teams better. I have stated before that I just don't buy that. If the big ten keeps getting more teams eventually they will be a big conference with a few really good teams, but only a 3-4. Now the schedule comes out and I see teams like Wisconsin and Nebraska with pretty easy big ten schedules and I have to ask how that is so much better than teams in the MAC (for example) will have? To top it off, if you look at Wisconsin's schedule, they have a pretty soft schedule outside of the big 10.

Nebraska, this year, is probably good enough to give the consensus top four a run for their money anyway, and that's what's so frustrating about their dual schedule: we won't know for sure, period. It'll be interesting to see how they match up tournamentwise with Ohio State at Cliff Keen, and Minnesota and Penn State at the Scuffle (I'm assuming based on previous years with all three of those squads).

Wisconsin's record will be similarly distorted, but challenging the upper tier of the conference is going to be difficult for them even with this schedule, and particularly with their duals against teams they'll be battling with for position in the conference (Illinois, Michigan, Nebraska, Northwestern) on the road.