Sign in to follow this  
ocho

St. John joins NDSU as assistant coach

Nope. The Gophers planted him there to confuse the top Minnesota recruits.

I am sure Fogarty probably had an inkling that DSJ was coming into the fold. You just wait for those Western MN wrestlers to start migrating that direction.

:D

The thing I like about this is that the wrestlers choosing to go to NDSU are going to have coaches with different styles teaching them techniques and strategies. Rivera was extremely aggressive and offensive, someone that won a lot of his matches with a large gas tank, and a relentless attack. Before his severe injury, Kish had that Minnesota ground em and pound em approach too. St. John is an opportunist, who would pick apart and make you pay severely for any and every mistake you made on the mat. A fountain of knowledge from two very successful offensive wrestlers and one exceptionally successful defensive wrestler. Things started with Trent Sprenkle and Steve Monk, and I think they will only continue to prevail from there.

If his interviews are any indication, he's a DYNAMIC recruiter in the making. Let's say there is a top recruit that likes to remain silent 23 hours a day, and the hour he does talk, its all monotone - who do you send in to get him to sign on the line? You guess it, Captain Personality, DSJ.

Just kidding, never met him, but seems like a good dude and likely a solid coach. NDSU's profile seems to be rising. IMO, its always healthy for wrestling for non-Big-10 teams to gain in relevance and its hard to argue that NDSU isn't headed in the right direction. Good for DSJ.

If his interviews are any indication, he's a DYNAMIC recruiter in the making. Let's say there is a top recruit that likes to remain silent 23 hours a day, and the hour he does talk, its all monotone - who do you send in to get him to sign on the line? You guess it, Captain Personality, DSJ.

It could be taken that way, but that personality also was the reason he was cool, calm, and collected, and known as one of the grittiest wrestlers in D1. He's the opposite of someone like say Doug Schwab (who's intenstity is contagious, dude could be talking about paperclips and get you fired up), but having someone who is a "quiet storm" has it's advantages.

Just my take on anyone who does question if his personality will work in the coaching world.

Welp. Never thought I'd lose my The Mat commenting virginity because of Derek St. John, but there you have it.

Any regrets or was it worth it?  (My first on this new forum as well)

Seems to work well on the Mac.   Anyone know if there is Tapatalk support for the iOS devices?

Edited by headshuck