Sign in to follow this  
jstock

University Worlds video link

Fortune with 4 pointer and a pushout and the Turk with a pushout at the 2 min mark of the first, Fortune takedown and Gut Gut Gut Gut. World Champ

Congrats to Fortune, but not quite "World Champ."

Actually he is a world champ. Not sure why it's in quotation marks unless you are quoting someone. Did he not just take home a gold medal at the World University Championships (or Games or w/e they are called). There are world championships at all levels of international wrestling. Fila Cadet World Championships, FILA JR World Championships, University World Championships, Senior World Championships. When you win the tournament you become a world champion.

could only catch the last half of Green's match. Saw a great looking double from Green but the Moldovan was to big and too crafty. Green's opponent looked to strong from the ties and he was aching to work some trip and throw on him. Green's game is to stay away from the ties and time his insanely quick and powerful doubles.

oh well. nice to see Fortune end the tournament on a high note. love the depth he provides at heavyweight. might be the USA's deepest weight after 74?

fun tournament, thanks to all who posted info and updates!

Fortune with 4 pointer and a pushout and the Turk with a pushout at the 2 min mark of the first, Fortune takedown and Gut Gut Gut Gut. World Champ

I Suppose NCAA champs aren't really national champs because it's nnot he US open.

IMO "world champ" denotes FILA sr. World champ. One if the great things about wrestling (unlike boxing and many martial art) world champion actually means best in the world (one a given day at least). For other titles it's appropriate to use a preface such as"jr world champ" or "University world champ."

Kind of like "all American" is assumed to be NCAA division one. If you AA in another division it's appropriate yo preface it with "division 2" or "NAIA" or whatever.

It's not about putting down done someone's achievements, it's about accuracy and transparency.

Actually he is a world champ. Not sure why it's in quotation marks unless you are quoting someone. Did he not just take home a gold medal at the World University Championships (or Games or w/e they are called). There are world championships at all levels of international wrestling. Fila Cadet World Championships, FILA JR World Championships, University World Championships, Senior World Championships. When you win the tournament you become a world champion.

Here's an excellent source for learning about quotation marks: http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/wo ... s-american

Good luck in your studies.

The second use - "to mark off a word or phrase that's being discussed" - is the relevant one in this instance.

Stupid that I have to explain my point since it's nitpicky, but here goes: The poster called Fortune "World Champ" with an upper case "W" and an upper case "C". Seek out a list of Olympic and World wrestling champions and you won't find the names of World University champs. For good reason. You become a World Champ by going to the world championships and finishing ahead of the best wrestlers in the world at your weight class.

In his own Twitter bio, Tervel Dlagnev calls himself a "World bronze medalist," but he won a World University title in 2009. Shouldn't he say "World Champ"? In his official bio on the Penn State website, Cael Sanderson lists Olympic gold, four Big 12 titles, his ESPY award and his appearance on the Wheaties box. Shouldn't he list "World Champ" since he won a World University title in 2000?

You cheapen the accomplishments of the John Smiths, Bruce Baumgartners and Jordan Burroughs of the world by overusing the term.

could only catch the last half of Green's match. Saw a great looking double from Green but the Moldovan was to big and too crafty. Green's opponent looked to strong from the ties and he was aching to work some trip and throw on him. Green's game is to stay away from the ties and time his insanely quick and powerful doubles.

oh well. nice to see Fortune end the tournament on a high note. love the depth he provides at heavyweight. might be the USA's deepest weight after 74?

fun tournament, thanks to all who posted info and updates!

green was in on one of those insanely quick and powerful doubles to win the match with short time. unfortunately he came out of his stance and his hands slid up while trying to finish. the moldovan jacked up his whizzer and hit a nasty inside wrap over under throw for the pin.

Thanks for sharing. When I wrote my summation of the match 15 seconds after it ended and called Fortune a World Champ, I hearkened back to the greats of the sport Gable, Saitiev, Karelin, Taymazov, then I thought briefly should I have?? Well Fortune is an age group World Champion and anybody that would question it is not an astute wrestling mind and is probably compensating for something.

Thanks for sharing. When I wrote my summation of the match 15 seconds after it ended and called Fortune a World Champ, I hearkened back to the greats of the sport Gable, Saitiev, Karelin, Taymazov, then I thought briefly should I have?? Well Fortune is an age group World Champion and anybody that would question it is not an astute wrestling mind and is probably compensating for something.

Fortune is not an age group World Champion. If he'd won a Cadet or Junior title, he could claim to the best in the world at his age group. The University classification is for wrestlers between 17 and 28 years of age. The best wrestlers in the world in that age range, by and large, don't wrestle at University Worlds.

He represented his country and won an important international competition. He's a World University Champion. Maybe if I was an astute wrestling mind like you, I would understand why you think that's not good enough.