Sign in to follow this  
ocho

Best Team Rivalries in Wrestling

Lets talk about some rivalries that schools get amped up for.

I hope IA State can step up and make the IA State vs Iowa duals what they used to be. It is good for wrestling for IA State to be relevant. Throw in UNI and that's a nice triangular!

Some of my favorites

MN vs IA

MN vs OK State

IA vs OK State

MN and IA are both developing good rivalries with PSU as well IMO

Nothing beats Bedlam though!

A potential rivalry that I'm looking forward to watching develop.

South Dakota State vs North Dakota State, Dakota battle fueled by two young programs with energetic coaches.

Any other fan favorites though throughout the country?

South Dakota State vs North Dakota State, Dakota battle fueled by two young programs with energetic coaches.

When they were Division II schools, it was tough to find a bigger rivalry than those two, as both were national powerhouses.

(Note something that's lacking here, folks, and note what you'll see soon below my post). ;)

... re: potential "geographical" rivalries - - -Kent State v. Cleveland State would be a good one, and theOSU v. theOhio bobcats would/is also a good one....

I think Kent vs. tOSU is better than tOSU vs. OU Bobcats.

Kent vs. Pitt is good too.

Rupp Cup: Franklin & Marshall vs Millersville. The only rivalry, I know of, with a traveling trophy. A Division-III school that wrestles as a Division-I (non-scholarship) member vs a Division-II school and former Division-I member.

Others of note:

Army vs Navy

Augsburg vs Wartburg

Cal Poly vs CSU Bakersfield

NDSU vs SDSU

Buffalo vs Binghamton

Lehigh vs Cornell

Princeton vs Rider

American vs Maryland

Boise State vs Oregon State

Virginia vs Virginia Tech

Edit: The development of dual rivalries is the best way to build interest on campus. It is much easier to get kids to attend one dual each year and making it one that is hyped year after year is vital. A lot of schools have done well developing these rivalries in different sports.

Rupp Cup: Franklin & Marshall vs Millersville. The only rivalry, I know of, with a traveling trophy. A Division-III school that wrestles as a Division-I (non-scholarship) member vs a Division-II school and former Division-I member.

Others of note:

Army vs Navy

Augsburg vs Wartburg

Cal Poly vs CSU Bakersfield

NDSU vs SDSU

Buffalo vs Binghamton

Lehigh vs Cornell

Princeton vs Rider

American vs Maryland

Boise State vs Oregon State

Virginia vs Virginia Tech

Edit: The development of dual rivalries is the best way to build interest on campus. It is much easier to get kids to attend one dual each year and making it one that is hyped year after year is vital. A lot of schools have done well developing these rivalries in different sports.

Iowa-Iowa State also has a traveling trophy (named after Dan Gable), except that it hasn't traveled very much, as Iowa State has yet to beat the Hawkeyes since it was inaugurated.