Sign in to follow this  
tec87

New D3 Program in Michigan!

Adrian College who had a program from 1959-1984 is reviving it's program for the 2015-16 season and having men's and women's wrestling.

http://adrian.prestosports.com/genrel/wrestling_070914

This is really great news for Michigan wrestling because the south eastern part of the state is one of the top wrestling areas in the state and produces a lot of great wrestlers.

Great news!!! How many NCAA colleges have women's wrestling? How many teams are needed to petition the NCAA to classify women's wrestling as an emerging sport? Does NCWA & WCWA women's teams both factor into the number?

As excited as I am for any new wrestling program, especially one in my home state, I am interested to see how their pricey tuition will affect recruiting. Of 114 Michigan colleges, Adrian ranks as the 7th most expensive yearly In-State tuition at $28,606.00. Will the administration be willing to facilitate the financial aid options that are often used to bring in athletes at the DIII level? Hopefully they can hire a Head Coach with some salesman-like savvy and financial creativity.

As excited as I am for any new wrestling program, especially one in my home state, I am interested to see how their pricey tuition will affect recruiting. Of 114 Michigan colleges, Adrian ranks as the 7th most expensive yearly In-State tuition at $28,606.00. Will the administration be willing to facilitate the financial aid options that are often used to bring in athletes at the DIII level? Hopefully they can hire a Head Coach with some salesman-like savvy and financial creativity.

Don't pay attention to the sticker price of a school.

Average indebtedness of 2012 graduates:

Central Michigan University - $31,520

Alma College - $31,297

Adrian College - $30,645

University of Michigan - $27,815

Eastern Michigan University - $25,133

Michigan State University - $24,987

Olivet College - $24,890

Don't pay attention to the sticker price of a school.

Average indebtedness of 2012 graduates:

Central Michigan University - $31,520

Alma College - $31,297

Adrian College - $30,645

University of Michigan - $27,815

Eastern Michigan University - $25,133

Michigan State University - $24,987

Olivet College - $24,890

That is still pretty steep. I would also be interested to see the percentage of parents that pay for their students to go there. I highly doubt a large percentage of students choose to go to Adrian on their own dime. There are plenty of other high end schools in Michigan that are considerably less expensive and easier to get into.

That is still pretty steep. I would also be interested to see the percentage of parents that pay for their students to go there. I highly doubt a large percentage of students choose to go to Adrian on their own dime. There are plenty of other high end schools in Michigan that are considerably less expensive and easier to get into.

All a personal choice so it is for the students to decide.

But if you're talking about paying an additional $500 a year for the chance to wrestle in college it doesn't really seem like that big of an impact since one pre-season or summer high school or youth tournament can cost a family that much to attend.

I am sure they will have no problem fielding a team.

But if you're talking about paying an additional $500 a year for the chance to wrestle in college it doesn't really seem like that big of an impact since one pre-season or summer high school or youth tournament can cost a family that much to attend.

My point is regarding the average indebtedness statistic. Does the survey account for every student? What percentage of students are paid in full when they graduate with no debt? Depending on how the numbers are calculated that could be a VERY skewed statistic. Adrian is considered a rich kids school. I have several relatives that attended Adrian. If the average indebtnedness is roughly $30,000 per graduate but 60+% graduate with no debt(just a guess) those who go there with little or no parental aid are going to get CRUSHED.

My point is regarding the average indebtedness statistic. Does the survey account for every student? What percentage of students are paid in full when they graduate with no debt? Depending on how the numbers are calculated that could be a VERY skewed statistic. Adrian is considered a rich kids school. I have several relatives that attended Adrian. If the average indebtnedness is roughly $30,000 per graduate but 60+% graduate with no debt(just a guess) those who go there with little or no parental aid are going to get CRUSHED.

75% of students at Adrian financed their education while 46% at MSU financed theirs...

If Adrian is only for rich kids then the rich kids that want to wrestle will have a chance to wrestle and not be concerned about the tuition... If nothing else, it will give MSU a few more wins in the early season opens.

I never meant this to be any negative towards Adrian. I simply think of it as a pretty expensive school. It made me wonder if the cost could have an adverse affect on a new wrestling program's momentum out of the gate. If I were interested in being the Head Coach I would be interested in the raw numbers. What would the average cost be to each wrestler and what would the College offer to help with the cost? Would I be limited to a certain student athlete or would it be a level playing field? In the end it may not be a significant factor but it would be something I would investigate before taking the job.

Adrian is a private school, but it is not an especially expensive private school. MSU158 is a bit out of his depth in discussing the cost of small private schools, which includes most Division III wrestling teams. Adrian costs less than the Alma, another recently reinstated team in Michigan, and Alma has something like 50 wrestlers on their roster.

20 of the top 25 from last year's DIII championships were private colleges. Of those 20, 12 were more expensive than Adrian, including #1 Wartburg, #4 Coe, #5 Augsburg, #6 Delaware Valley, and #9 Wabash. #3 Messiah is within $300 of Adrian's cost as well, puting 6 of the top 10 at or above Adrian's cost.

A very small amount of research by MSU158 would have shown that a college in the same state that costs more has this as a roster http://www.goalmascots.com/sports/wrest/2013-14/roster after only 3 years of competition.

This board is getting ridiculous. The amount of personal attacks and insults that come out of nowhere is sad.

I am WELL aware of the situation at Alma. I actually follow their recruits and results. Alma is the school directly above them, ranked 6th, in cost. However, what works at Alma would not necessarily work at Adrian or even be implemented. I think I raised valid questions. Starting a new program is a great thing. I hope everything goes well. I simply wondered if the cost $28,606.00 per year, the location (very rural) and support of the Athletic Department (availability and willingness for creative financial support) would hinder them out of the gate. The cost of other private schools is IRRELEVANT. I simply asked questions regarding the SPECIFIC situation at Adrian. They may have a perfect plan to implement that would start things off without a hitch. If so, sweet. They also may not. And THAT was my major question/concern.

The cost questions are valid but I don't think the location questions are. That part of the state has a lot of great HS programs and wrestlers that would love an opportunity to continue their careers in college close to home. Plus you can't question the location of Adrian College saying it's rural when you have Alma that is basically in a cornfield. lol

If saying you're a bit out of your depth is both an insult and a personal attack to you, then it's time to toughen up a little.

If you were as aware of the situation at Alma as you say, you would not have said that things you did about Adrian's cost and ability to attract students/athletes. Alma is as rural if not more, more selective, and more expensive, yet they have one of the largest rosters in college wrestling. You can't call a school expensive in one post and then say the cost of other schools is irrelevant in another. Expensive is a relative term.

You say you have questions about the situation there:

1. Cost - in line with other private colleges; not the most expensive college in the state with wrestling

2. Location - no more rural than Alma or a few dozen other DIII schools; closer to competitive opportunities than either of the other Michigan DIII schools

3. Support of athletic department - not sure what you're after; they are starting the program after all

4. Will the administration be willing to facilitate the financial aid options that are often used to bring in athletes at the DIII level? - What you described here is an NCAA violation, so I expect it will not occur at Adrian

If saying you're a bit out of your depth is both an insult and a personal attack to you, then it's time to toughen up a little.

If you were as aware of the situation at Alma as you say, you would not have said that things you did about Adrian's cost and ability to attract students/athletes. Alma is as rural if not more, more selective, and more expensive, yet they have one of the largest rosters in college wrestling. You can't call a school expensive in one post and then say the cost of other schools is irrelevant in another. Expensive is a relative term.

You say you have questions about the situation there:

1. Cost - in line with other private colleges; not the most expensive college in the state with wrestling

2. Location - no more rural than Alma or a few dozen other DIII schools; closer to competitive opportunities than either of the other Michigan DIII schools

3. Support of athletic department - not sure what you're after; they are starting the program after all

4. Will the administration be willing to facilitate the financial aid options that are often used to bring in athletes at the DIII level? - What you described here is an NCAA violation, so I expect it will not occur at Adrian

1. Cost-$28,606.00 is somehow not expensive because other private schools are that expensive or more? They are the 7th most expensive out of 114 schools.

2. Location-My mother attended Adrian. I have a cousin who graduated from there and teaches there. They both call it a Cow Pasture. I didn't mean it as an insult, I simply wondered if you had a choice to where you would go, would it be a factor.

3. Support of Athletic Department-MSU has wrestling. Try emailing them about it.....

4. Since you have told me saying someone is out of there depth is not an insult, I will say you are out of your depth if you think my comments about financial aid do not happen at a regular basis at the DIII level. My cousin played Football at Kalamazoo. They found him enough money to go there for pennies on the dollar.

In the end, I don't understand why it is such an issue for you regarding what I said. I never said Adrian won't be successful, I simply wonder if they had a plan regarding recruiting since $28,606.00 annually is expensive NO MATTER what the tuition is at another private institution of learning(even if they offer wrestling).

I'm pretty certain they have a plan and have looked at all these questions already. Let's face it, colleges across the country aren't lining up to add wrestling programs unless a strong enough case with all the i's dotted and t's crossed has been made.

Can't we just be excited and happy that we are seeing another school add wrestling as opposed to cutting it?