Sign in to follow this  
Jaroslav Hasek

Pan-Am Championship

I would have liked to see how David Taylor would've done against the 74Kg. Cuban.

If Taylor would of won the trials he could of wrestled.

Every thread doesn't have to about Taylor, this discussion is the Pan Am team and he didn't wrestle on the team

If Taylor would of won the trials he could of wrestled.

Every thread doesn't have to about Taylor, this discussion is the Pan Am team and he didn't wrestle on the team

Has nothing to do with trials wins/losses.. anyway, it was just speculation. No harm, no foul. 

in men's freestyle, the top-seven Pan Am team standings are 1) USA 2) Canada 3) Cuba 4) Venezuela 5) Colombia 5) Mexico 7) Puerto Rico.

Only the USA and Cuba had champs. The USA had five and Cuba three.

A number of countries had runners-up: Canada, Cuba, Venezuela, Colombia, Mexico, Puerto Rico, and Dominica.

Interestingly, tiny Dominica (population 71,000) fiinished fifth in men's Greco, with two runner-up finishes.

It's always nice to see countries outside the traditional powers (USA, Canada, Cuba) have success.

interesting on the team standings. cuba was more impressive than canada with 5 finalists and 3 champs, but i guess with this scoring system, canada ekes out 2nd place. 

was also impressed with Venezuela. i dont know much about their program except their guy Robertty gave Burroughs a tough match at the worlds once (he placed 3rd at 70kg and did not see H Steibs). Venezuela picked up 5 medals though and the guys i did manage to catch on the live stream looked pretty tough. 

that's an error in the FILA system. They're confusing Dominica with the Dominican Republic. The IOC code for the DR is DOM while it's DCA for the smaller nation. I've brought it up to them several times in the past. maybe the new regime will get the memo.

the Robertty who wrestled at Pan Ams this year wasn't the same one Burroughs wrestled

Edited by JasonBryant

I understand that there is probably too much talk about David Taylor on these threds. The purpose of my comment was just to say that I wondering how Taylor would've fared against the Cuban, ( who I believe is their Number 1). I would've also like to see how some of our other fellas would've done, such as Russell, Oliver, Kilgore, Michalak, and some others.

Additionally, I wish that Foster could've faced the Cuban in the finals yesterday as well. This is nothing more than curiosity, to see how our guys, and our program, are stacking up against their guys, and their program.

I was hoping for a Salas v Foster match too. but i was able to catch the finals match on the live stream and Salas just took apart the guy who beat Foster, even taking into account the questionable reffing. I don't see Foster beating Salas. too much explosive power from Salas. The 97kg Cuban also looked great in the finals. 

Really enjoyed Sanders' match. What a counter/takedown to take the lead. Then it looked like he wore the Cuban down. Great job Zach!

Gotta mention JB's match. Wow, the Champ was just all business. I love that he starting to stick his opponents on a regular basis now. (I know, didn't pin Lopez, but was real close, twice. Looked like he had it on the computer screen.)

The 3 Cubans that won Gold looked tough as nails. Sounds crazy, but I want to see our American guys match up with those 3 somewhere in the World brackets.

Also, congrats to the rest the medal winners. Excellent job Team USA! (Oh yeah, and thanks 49north for the live stream.)

Salas and Lopez were both 2nd at world last year, and IMO should have won. Size difference or not, the way JR torr Lopez apart was incredible. We need to enjoy watching one of the greats while we can.

I know Assets time got pinned by Hoch, but was it competitive before that?

Pretty cool that Canada won 2 Greco-Roman medals.

Really enjoyed Sanders' match. What a counter/takedown to take the lead. Then it looked like he wore the Cuban down. Great job Zach!

Gotta mention JB's match. Wow, the Champ was just all business. I love that he starting to stick his opponents on a regular basis now. (I know, didn't pin Lopez, but was real close, twice. Looked like he had it on the computer screen.)

The 3 Cubans that won Gold looked tough as nails. Sounds crazy, but I want to see our American guys match up with those 3 somewhere in the World brackets.

Also, congrats to the rest the medal winners. Excellent job Team USA! (Oh yeah, and thanks 49north for the live stream.)

All I did was embed the streams on the site. Probably best to thank Florian and the FILA webcasting team.

Also, agreed on the Canadian Greco medals. I'll take 2 international medals (of any kind) with 0 greco program.

that's an error in the FILA system. They're confusing Dominica with the Dominican Republic. The IOC code for the DR is DOM while it's DCA for the smaller nation. I've brought it up to them several times in the past. maybe the new regime will get the memo.

Thanks for that info. It makes a ton of sense.

WHY IS NO ONE TALKING ABOUT HUNTER STIEBERS IMPRESSIVE OUTING?????

If the name isnt JB, dake, pico, l. stieber, or taylor, noone cares. This forum needs to support all wrestlers!

Wow, you're right. If it isn't one of a half dozen popular wrestlers than no one cares. Crazy how that works. 

If the name isnt JB, dake, pico, l. stieber, or taylor, noone cares. This forum needs to support all wrestlers!

You know that you could actually talk about him instead of yelling at other people about not talking about him. If you think a topic is worth bringing up then by all means bring it up. 

Interestingly this was little discussed even on the Ohio boards and was not even in Hunter's home town newspaper until today.  Hunter is seemingly comfortable flying under the radar.  The big question now is Tsirtsis v. Stieber?  Although this is a question better answered on the College board.

I got Stieber but I'm a bit biased.

Edited by josefsmoe

I don't think it's a case of people not wanting to talk about Stieber's success at the Pan Am's but more a case of the US dominated there but Burroughs was the only guy that had a truly landmark win knocking off a multi-time world medalist in the finals. It's not that people aren't happy about what Stieber and the other guys did but the Burroughs match was the one that people were looking forward to the most.

Anyone have a link to videos from the event?

I just finally found videos from Pan-Ams. Seeing as many of the videos only have like 35 views, I'm guessing not many people here have found them either, so I figured I'd post some.

Here's Burrough's final vs. Irbuto of Venezuela: http://www.dartfish.tv/Player.aspx?CR=p85865c97455m2175047

And here's one of his qualifiers against Zenteno of Bolivia:  http://www.dartfish.tv/Player.aspx?CR=p85865c97455m2175043

I'll post some more if I get a chance, but the easiest way is just to go to dartfish and search by the wrestler's name. Then look for videos that say PACS in the title.

Edited by Alyosha