Sign in to follow this  
NJDan

Tyler Caldwell - Big Ups

It seems that Tyler Caldwell has been under-appreciated. As a collegian, he had the bad luck to be in the same weight class as Burroughs, Howe, Taylor and Dake. But now he has something that Taylor did not get: A World University Games gold medal.

If I had to guess I would say Caldwell has lots of things Taylor is not that interested in. One being a University Title I don't think anyone would dispute DT would have won this year had he chose too. Taylor has his eyes on a different prize at the moment.

Lets still give props to Tyler this Title is a heck of an accomplishment!

i want to give Tyler Caldwell big ups as well. he did a great job representing over seas. wish we could do that without bringing up DT.

hope Caldwell keeps at it. the dept at 74 in the US is tremendous. would be cool to see an international tournament where we sweep the medals at that weight.

Wow, another fantasy title for DT!

I would think that his real titles would be enough.

I wouldn't so much call it fantasy unless you have something going on you would rather not discuss. Thats like saying Dake only beats Taylor in fantasy match ups. DT is undefeated against Caldwell and has several very recent wins decisively.

I wouldn't so much call it fantasy unless you have something going on you would rather not discuss. Thats like saying Dake only beats Taylor in fantasy match ups. DT is undefeated against Caldwell and has several very recent wins decisively.

DT would have to beat wrestlers other than Caldwell to win the University Worlds. I believe that's why the "fantasy title" comment was made about Taylor.

You implied that Caldwell was better than Taylor, so you are the idiot that drove the fantasy match ups today. Congrats.

I didn't read NJDAN that way. What part of NJDAN'S post made you believe that he was implying that Caldwell is better than Taylor? In the first sentence of his opening post, he says that Caldwell had bad luck being in Taylor's weight class.

so much for just celebrating Caldwell's performance!

The OP did not just celebrate Caldwell's performance, he also used it to take a cheap shot at DT. Did you not notice that?

no doi! did you not notice my earlier comment where i lamented that fact in the OP?

but i guess this thread sucked to begin with so who cares if it stays terrible?

Pretty sure Caldwell has never so much as scored an offensive point against Taylor. He's been blanked three times vs. Taylor, I believe. The other time he had a point awarded to him at the very end of their match, but I can't recall what the point was for.

It seems that Tyler Caldwell has been under-appreciated. As a collegian, he had the bad luck to be in the same weight class as Burroughs, Howe, Taylor and Dake. But now he has something that Taylor did not get: A World University Games gold medal.

As this was freestyle, Caldwell also had the bad luck of having Taylor on his side at the 2014 US Open (loss) and Howe at the 2014 WTTs (loss).

He did not have such "luck" (neither Taylor or Howe competed) at the University team trials, but he wasn't too lucky there, as he was beaten by Ian Miller in 2 straight.

However, maybe luck did catch up to him as he was provided with the opportunity to wrestle when Miller could not and he took full advantage of it - and won Gold.

I don't understand why Taylor would not "be interested" in winning a World University Games Title. He was interested a year ago. He doesn't have any other world titles. So why wouldn't he be interested. I know he did not compete for it. But I wonder why not?

I don't understand why Taylor would not "be interested" in winning a World University Games Title. He was interested a year ago. He doesn't have any other world titles. So why wouldn't he be interested. I know he did not compete for it. But I wonder why not?

I don't think he would expect you to understand. I would venture to say not competing this year would be pretty compelling evidence his interest in it has declined.

Are you trying to imply Taylor would not have been the very heavy favorite to win despite a much inferior oponent winning?

Again props to Caldwell but David Taylor he is not.

Awesome double secret David Taylor thread!

The problem is that the mouthbreathers who introduce Taylor into every damn thread are partly composed of fanboys and also composed of whatever the exact opposite of a fanboy would be.

The competition is a little more inconsistent at University Worlds than Junior Worlds (for example last year the Russians sent an "A" team to Universities), but we don't have that many University champions even considering that fact. So it's a very impressive accomplishment, hope to see some video from the event. As others have pointed out, our depth at 74 is insane.

OP: It seems that Tyler Caldwell has been under-appreciated.

If there is a reason Caldwell is under=appreciated it is because his style is boring. Look at Ian Miller, right now his career accomplishment

I don't think Caldwell is looking to win 1-2 point matches. I think he is looking to win matches. And when you spend your college career with Burroughs, Howe, Dake, Taylor, etc... in your weight class, you do whatever you have to. Big underdogs almost always look to play it close and steal one. He just happened to wrestle 4 of the best from the last half decade, so he was a big underdog far more than most wrestlers his level.

But in the NCAA last year he reached the finals with Fall, 9-2, 14-2, 5-0 matches. That is not a guy who was looking to win by a point or two.