Sign in to follow this  
GranbyTroll

Steiber record vs the 4xers?

It looks likely that Steiber will win his 4th national title in March 2015, the 4th D1 wrestler ever to do so. If he does that, how will his record compare to the other 4 timers?

1) Cael 159-0*

2) Dake 132-4

3) Smith 121-5-2

4) Steiber 95-6

If Steiber goes undefeated with at least 27 matches, he'll surpass Smith's career record in victories and win%. Does this put him squarely ahead of Smith in terms of the best of the 4 timers club, or does Smith doing it first count for more than his 7 not wins?

Hahaha, yea ever hear of the old saying, " I" before "e" except after "c" ? Learn it folks!

:D

Oh, so you're saying that I counted my chickens before they hatched? It's probably a safe bet that Steibs will get it done next March, but you're right. Nothing is ever for certain in wrestling.

His first three losses all took place as a true frosh while wrestling with a severe hand/wrist injury that caused him to take a medical redshirt. Tom Ryan should have redshirted him anyway and was fortunate that Stieber got hurt.

His three other significant losses--Chris Dardanes, Jordan Oliver and Zain Retherford.

Stieber is one of the most dominant wrestlers in collegiate history and on course to become the 4th NCAA 4x champ. That's what matters.

Stieber may end up being the first 4 timer without unique factoid to go with it.

Smith was the first 4-timer

Sanderson was the first and so far only undefeated 4-timer

Dake was the first without a red-shirt and in four different weight classes to be a 4 timer

Stieber doesn't really have a unique factoid to add on if he does become a 4 timer this coming season.

The only small factoid I could muster (I have not looked into this to far with the others) would be the possibility that Stieber may become the first/only 4 timers to have won each of this title by defeating a NCAA Champions (current or future) in the finals. That is if Carter goes on to win one and his opponent this year has or does do the same. Grant it that's not much of a significant factoid to add, but its about all I could come up with after noticing all the others had a unique aspect to their 4 time run.

Also, with all the talk of the 4 timers, why don't we pay any attention to the accomplishments of the first 3 time champion (in the era when freshman couldn't be varsity)? Hayes of Iowa State? or first undefeated 3 time champions from the same era? Uetake from Ok. St.?

And he has handled every win & loss with absolute composure and class. Let's not give into the temptation to tear him down. The kid is a credit to the sport.

+1 Logan is a class act.

Who's trying to take something away from Steibs? All I want to know is how will Logan compare to the other 4xers if he goes undefeated in 2015. He'll have an unarguably better record that Smith, but as MadMardigain said, he won't want any distinguishing mark. Steiber could possibly be the first "just" 4 timer, ushering in the era in which that doesn't seem as daunting as it once did.

Hahaha, yea ever hear of the old saying, " I" before "e" except after "c" ? Learn it folks!

:D

I like that rule because it's never wrong..atheism, caffeine, leisure, neighbor, neither, protein, seize, stein, vein.

Nor is it ever wrong with family names...Stein, Frankenstein , Weizmann, Klein, Schneider, Eisenhower.

So why don't you cut him a little slack there Einstein. ;)

He'll be the only 4x'er to win 4 B1G titles (assuming he wins this coming year, of course)
...if he wins his fourth this year, he will be the first Big 10 wrestler to win 4 NCAA titles. That is pretty impressive, considering the Big 10 is the best (by far) wrestling conference.

His first three losses all took place as a true frosh while wrestling with a severe hand/wrist injury that caused him to take a medical redshirt. Tom Ryan should have redshirted him anyway and was fortunate that Stieber got hurt.

As I recall, it has never been established that Logan had a broken hand when he lost those matches as a true freshman. Are you saying that you know for a fact that Logan had a broken hand before the tournament?

I think it's strange that Ryan would let Logan wrestle knowing he had a broken hand. I know that Ryan gets criticized a lot for holding out his athletes in certain matches. Ryan is seen as some as being too cautious.

Anyway, here are Logan's losses:

Jarrod Patterson (Oklahoma) Dec Logan Stieber 2-1 5-1

Jason Lara (Oregon State) Dec Logan Stieber 5-0 5-2

Frank Perrelli (Cornell) Dec Logan Stieber 9-8 5-3

The Lara match aside, it looks like Logan battled hard in the two of the matches that he lost. It appears to me that Logan had enough left to win those matches.

Stieber may end up being the first 4 timer without unique factoid to go with it.

Smith was the first 4-timer

Sanderson was the first and so far only undefeated 4-timer

Dake was the first without a red-shirt and in four different weight classes to be a 4 timer

Stieber doesn't really have a unique factoid to add on if he does become a 4 timer this coming season.

The only small factoid I could muster (I have not looked into this to far with the others) would be the possibility that Stieber may become the first/only 4 timers to have won each of this title by defeating a NCAA Champions (current or future) in the finals. That is if Carter goes on to win one and his opponent this year has or does do the same. Grant it that's not much of a significant factoid to add, but its about all I could come up with after noticing all the others had a unique aspect to their 4 time run.

Also, with all the talk of the 4 timers, why don't we pay any attention to the accomplishments of the first 3 time champion (in the era when freshman couldn't be varsity)? Hayes of Iowa State? or first undefeated 3 time champions from the same era? Uetake from Ok. St.?

If Stieber wins this year, he will be the only 4 time champion who suffered defeat as an upperclassmen.

1) First Big 10 wrestler

2) First 4x Big 10 Champ

3) First 4x NCAA Champ with a loss as an upperclassman

What about the NCAA champ whose championship match inspired a new rule, who then had that rule applied in a later championship match.

I think he can major most of,if not all the guys in his weight! Has that been done? How many guys lasted the whole match this year without getting majored?

It happened 3 times, however only one wrestler didn't get majored by Stieber.

I think he can major most of,if not all the guys in his weight! Has that been done? How many guys lasted the whole match this year without getting majored?

It happened 3x last year. However, only 1 wrestler did it.

It looks likely that Steiber will win his 4th national title in March 2015, the 4th D1 wrestler ever to do so. If he does that, how will his record compare to the other 4 timers?

1) Cael 159-0*

2) Dake 132-4

3) Smith 121-5-2

4) Steiber 95-6

If Steiber goes undefeated with at least 27 matches, he'll surpass Smith's career record in victories and win%. Does this put him squarely ahead of Smith in terms of the best of the 4 timers club, or does Smith doing it first count for more than his 7 not wins?

You're counting Stieber's losses as a true frosh but not Cael's?