Sign in to follow this  
Tech_fall15

How is Marstellar on top?

Hard to tell what was riding from the stats, but he has 27 pins and 10 techs last season. That would suggest he had plenty of success turning guys. Some of the scores against better competition may be instructive.

Kyle Coniker (2nd in state) - 8-1, 14-2 - he at least got back points in both matches, and Coniker was one of only two guys to go the distance with him this season

Cody Seibert (3rd in state) - 16-5, this is the other guy to go the distance

Noah Wilps (state semis, 4th in state) - 16-1 in the first period, also teched earlier in the year

The year before he had 25 pins and 11 techs. 3 guys made it to the end of the match (Wiercioch 3-2, Zavatsky 15-3, and Peppelman 7-2 & 17-5)

Thanks for the stats. I will be interested to see where smith has him to me he looks like a 57lber some have said in the past he wants to go as high as 170. I don't see that and think the mat may become a problem in college at the higher weights mentioned

Thanks for the stats. I will be interested to see where smith has him to me he looks like a 57lber some have said in the past he wants to go as high as 170. I don't see that and think the mat may become a problem in college at the higher weights mentioned

If it is at all possible for him to get to 157, Smith will have him there. With Dieringer moving up to 165, and Kindig not being a large 149, there is an opening in the lineup at 157.

Marsteller gets nearly all of his NF points on feet-to-back moves, or on turns immediately after a takedown and before the opponent achieves his base. From base, it's mostly tilts. All his Flo videos show this.

I think he's capable of base turns now at a HS level, and can get there for a college level as quickly as he wants to. His priority has always been freestyle, and his top game reflects that.