Sign in to follow this  
MSU158

Trolling as an artform vs. Trolling as a nuisance

We have some true experts on this site. DF, Granbytroll and even Fivewords do a great job sticking to character regarding the former. The harder part is the latter. Since you have to deny being one to fit into the latter you can only be judged, and therefore, categorized as such.

If the moderator would let this go, and we can keep it civil, I would be interested to see a list for both and maybe even rankings. Anyone interested in taking on this entertaining endeavor?

I really wouldn't count DF as a troll. When I think of people acting like trolls, I think of people that post in a variety of threads and try and rustle people's feathers or steer things off topic. DF tends to keep his comments to just his threads. Now his posts/threads are indeed troll-like in nature but he's more or less just a gimmick poster.

I really wouldn't count DF as a troll. When I think of people acting like trolls, I think of people that post in a variety of threads and try and rustle people's feathers or steer things off topic. DF tends to keep his comments to just his threads. Now his posts/threads are indeed troll-like in nature but he's more or less just a gimmick poster.

I believe he falls into the "character troll" category. Same as Fivewords. This is why I used art form as a category. Trolling is often only referenced when it is falls into the nuisance category. I started this topic for the benefit of superold. He thinks he is unfairly treated while DF gets a free pass. I wanted him to see why!

We have some true experts on this site. DF, Granbytroll and even Fivewords do a great job sticking to character regarding the former. The harder part is the latter. Since you have to deny being one to fit into the latter you can only be judged, and therefore, categorized as such.

If the moderator would let this go, and we can keep it civil, I would be interested to see a list for both and maybe even rankings. Anyone interested in taking on this entertaining endeavor?

DF is fun, articulate and entertaining. Granbytroll at least has merit and reasoning behind what he says.

^^Troll posts generally do not bother me. I like posts that give facutal info, esp inside factual information and they can be from neutral sources or trolls. I think think the goofiest posts are the rah-rah-shish-boom-bah cheerleader posts that absolutely add no college wrestling facts.

There are many different ways to define the so-called "troll." I saw the following one in the Urban Dictionary. It reminded me of one of this forum's most entertaining and insightful former posters.

Troll:

One of many unsung internet heroes who are almost entirely misunderstood. Contrary to popular belief, many trolls are actually quite intelligent. Their habitual attacks on forums are usually a result of their awareness of the pretentiousness and excessive self-importance of many forum enthusiasts. As much as people may hate trolls, they are highly effective - their actions bring much of the stupidity of other forum users out into the great wide open.

Man, that troll Suzie Shagwell really owned those dumb forum users who take themselves too damn seriously.

I believe he falls into the "character troll" category. Same as Fivewords. This is why I used art form as a category. Trolling is often only referenced when it is falls into the nuisance category. I started this topic for the benefit of superold. He thinks he is unfairly treated while DF gets a free pass. I wanted him to see why!

I'm not a troll. I may be a nuisance though. :)

I believe everything that I post. For those who say that I'm trolling, and that I don't really believe what I type, what do you believe my real positions are? Specifically, on the criteria for coaching greatness, McD injury, David Taylor, etc.

I'm very curious.

yeah there are 2 very distinct kinds of trolls. the good troll is the clever prankster who makes fun of nincompoops. the bad troll is the narrow minded dunderhead who beats topics to death with annoying blather.

you dont want to be the dunderhead or nincompoop.

Was reading JH's "dunderhead" and "nincompoop" reference, and remembered a study done earlier this year. At least for the posters that exhibit some sort of anti-social behavior...See link...

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_an ... pathy.html

I'm not a troll. I may be a nuisance though. :)

Is trolling within a troll thread

I believe everything that I post. For those who say that I'm trolling, and that I don't really believe what I type, what do you believe my real positions are? Specifically, on the criteria for coaching greatness, McD injury, David Taylor, etc.

I'm very curious.

Ah, this is called Inception trolling.

Troll within a troll thread.

yeah there are 2 very distinct kinds of trolls. the good troll is the clever prankster who makes fun of nincompoops. the bad troll is the narrow minded dunderhead who beats topics to death with annoying blather.

You describe a "troll" and a "flamer," respectively, and they are very different things.

You describe a "troll" and a "flamer," respectively, and they are very different things.

perhaps, but i'm not sure if "flamer" passes PC muster for polite conversation. much as how "hacker"originally possessed only a positive connotation but has since become doubly synonymous with benevolent and malevolent computer programming, i'm comfortable employing the same word in myriad contexts with multiple meanings. works for the Germans anyway.

perhaps, but i'm not sure if "flamer" passes PC muster for polite conversation. much as how "hacker"originally possessed only a positive connotation but has since become doubly synonymous with benevolent and malevolent computer programming, i'm comfortable employing the same word in myriad contexts with multiple meanings. works for the Germans anyway.

Irregardlessly of the PCness of "flamer," it is a very different beast from a troll. Call it whatever you want (A hole works for me), but namecalling, bullying, and beating deadhorse threads for 15 pages is not trolling.

Trolling message boards also has a very interesting history, like "hacking" does. Trolls used to be seen more like we see DF, good natured posters who poke fun at "newbies" or write humorous posts. Semantic drift and broadening over time meshed "trolling" with what I call "flaming" in the popular mind.