Sign in to follow this  
sandwrestling

Beach Wrestling is in the Games!!!

Well, almost...it is certainly on the right track.

With all of the hard work from a ton of individuals around the world, and more and more countries sending Teams each and every year to the Beach Worlds, this sport is getting serious consideration.

Check out this article...

http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/_w_ar ... 014_541391

Thanks for reading, and continuing to support International/ Olympic Wrestling!

I won't apologize for not sharing your enthusiasm.  I view beach wrestling as a mistake.  It was introduced on the coat tails of the popularity of beach volleyball and has little relevance to to international wrestling.  After almost losing wrestling participation in the Olympics I see little added value of beach wrestling.  More energy and effort should be devoted to preservation of freestyle and greco roman without the distraction of of the aberration called beach wrestling.

You bring up a very good point Don, too many young wrestlers are getting pushed out-of-bounds during the international styles. That's a great reason to help promote the unique style of Sand Wrestling, in addition to the sand increasing the diffuculty level of wrestling in the standing position, it encourages wrestlers to maintain better control of the competition area. That translates very well when returning to the mat in Freestyle and Greco competition. Of course, there are other great benefits for athletes, such as developing a quick and powerful shots that you simply can't develop by only wrestling on the mat.

ShortAmp, the fact that it is considered by the leaders of FILA is a huge step in the right direction especially if any of us are even remotely serious about keeping wrestling in the Olympic Games. This viewer friendly style will only increase interest among the general population in ways that the current Olympic styles just cannot compete with.

OldRules, it's unfortunate that you don't have enthusiaam about this very exciting style. Other then benefiting athletes and increasing intrest in the totality of our great sport, many clubs are discovering that this is a great way to raise funds for thier wrestling club while also keeping local athletes active. Those funds can greatly improve training facilities, cover the cost of wrestling roadtrips, and purchase new singlets for the mat season. I think the problem is that you (and others that think along the same lines) don't understand the style of Sand Wrestling. That's okay, I love to learn. I would recommend that you check out the book, "Hosting Beach Wrestling Events", which is available on Amazon. Who knows, maybe you too will find learning fun! :D

Beach Wrestling is a fun style especially in the spring and summer period. This is a promotional style and very effective in the European nations with low wrestling popularity like Italy and France. With beach wrestling you can develop freestyle and Greco because you can create a lot of exposure.

I won't apologize for not sharing your enthusiasm.  I view beach wrestling as a mistake.  It was introduced on the coat tails of the popularity of beach volleyball and has little relevance to to international wrestling.  After almost losing wrestling participation in the Olympics I see little added value of beach wrestling.  More energy and effort should be devoted to preservation of freestyle and greco roman without the distraction of of the aberration called beach wrestling.

Ditto, oldrules. 

I would much prefer they not add beach wrestling and instead give FS wrestling more weight classes. They used to 10 weight classes years ago. Now it is down to only 6.

You bring up a very good point Don, too many young wrestlers are getting pushed out-of-bounds during the international styles. That's a great reason to help promote the unique style of Sand Wrestling, in addition to the sand increasing the diffuculty level of wrestling in the standing position, it encourages wrestlers to maintain better control of the competition area.

Nicely done, quoting me out of context.

Beach wrestling will never do anything good for freestyle or greco. It is another style that has different rules, and we DO NOT need that. Neither do we need competition from inside our own sport. We need a more aggressive wrestling, with less rules. Not this -game- called beach wrestling.

More styles means less meaning for current styles. And this cannot be good for our sport. It's a great way for the olympic commitee to get us out of the olympics for good, though...

Adding women's freestyle wrestling ultimately dropped men's freestyle and greco from 8 to 6 weights in the Olympics to keep the number of medals constant.  

Adding beach wrestling (if that ever happens) would most likely mean a another drop to 5 or 4 weights. Add in women's beach wrestling to be gender fair, and you can see a potential drop to even 3 weights per style. 

Not a good idea. 

and not adding women's wrestling could have left us with no weight classes.

Agreed!  In fact I am surprised they did not add women's greco also with the IOC's desire for gender parity.  Probably because there are probably less than 20 women on the planet that have ever wrestled a greco match. 

I am just saying that if they add men's beach wrestling, they will very likely add women's beach wrestling also.  Both of these would almost certainly deduct weight classes from our current categories. 

Beach Wrestling is a non Olympic style. I agree with the last post about the Olympic games. The true Olympic styles are freestyle and greco but a true international wrestling federation must recognise the other form of wrestling like pankration, beach wrestling, belt wrestling and, in my opinion, other submission style like catch as catch can and brazilian luta livre.

Edited by WreslingSuperior

Beach Wrestling is a non Olympic style. I agree with the last post about the Olympic games. The true Olympic styles are freestyle and greco but a true international wrestling federation must recognise the other form of wrestling like pankration, beach wrestling, belt wrestling and, in my opinion, other submission style like catch as catch can and brazilian luta livre.

Well, neither pankration or luta livre are wrestling, as they include kicks and punches. They both include some wrestling, but aren't wrestling.

Luta Livre is a submission wrestling style based on catch as catch can. The vale tudo component with striking is only an extension of this brazilian style. Kato Pankration is also a submission wrestling style with points for takedowns (2) and throws (3). Pankration is a total combat style but it is wrestling based with a ruleset ideal for wrestlers.

I dont see the purpose of popularizing new submission based wrestling styles. We already have MMA (dominated my wrestlers ) and jiu jitsu. If you want to submission grapple do bjj (gi or no gi). If you want to wrestle, wrestle.

Changing some of the bjj competition rules though, so guys aren't butt scooting and flopping to the mat all the time (which would also make it more wrestler-y) would suit me just fine. I entered a couple if tournaments in Canada where pulling guard in most situations is giving up a td; that seems to work.

FILA's core business is Freestyle and Greco. I agree about this but the wrestling history is strongly influenced by Pankration and Catch Wrestling. Freestyle and american folk style are based on catch as catch can without submission. Jiu jitsu born with a Gi and nogi version is only a joke. Nogi submission is called catch wrestling and luta livre. In the ancient Greece was called kato pale/pankration. Now wrestling has an international federation and you can't delete the history. FILA submission now has 3 points for high amplitude throws and the other rules identical to the past nogi grappling. USA Wrestling is involved in pankration submission.

FILA's core business is Freestyle and Greco. I agree about this but the wrestling history is strongly influenced by Pankration and Catch Wrestling. Freestyle and american folk style are based on catch as catch can without submission. Jiu jitsu born with a Gi and nogi version is only a joke. Nogi submission is called catch wrestling and luta livre. In the ancient Greece was called kato pale/pankration. Now wrestling has an international federation and you can't delete the history. FILA submission now has 3 points for high amplitude throws and the other rules identical to the past nogi grappling. USA Wrestling is involved in pankration submission.

Then why not just add some locks/submissions back to current styles? Matwork in current wrestling is in dire need of rehaul, and this could make it more meaningful. Points for locks, for example?

We do not need a style that makes wrestling even more like a game, and less like combat.

After reading the article about how "wrestlers hate blood", I'm beginning to think our biggest problem is that people who decide things for our sport are too old, out of touch and just don't get it. They are trying to fix something that isn't in need of fixing.

Seriously, combat sport fans need action and excitement. Softening our sport and removing moves isn't going to get us any more fans.

Of course, sand wrestling is the ultimate simplification. It's the same thing that our kids play at elementary school. A safe game. Nothing combat about it, though. Just game.