Sign in to follow this  
Angry_Fish

Ed Ruth currently in Russia

The 25-27 of July is the Golden Grand Prix in Azerbaijain. Normally our world team guys compete at this tournament as a tune up before the world championships. So they are probably working out in Russia before heading to the tournament next weekend. There is usually a lot of high level competitors at this tournament.

Yep, he is wrestling in the Golden Grand Prix. Not sure of the full US lineup but I know Metcalf and Megaludis will be wrestling there as well. According to a tweet from the HWC there is a $10K cash prize for the winner. Should be a great tune up before worlds with a nice cash incentive.

Looks like Varner & Nico are competing in it too.

BssPMjBCcAA-kpw.jpg

Some nice payouts there for the pros & their coach:

Gold = $US 10,000 ($2000 for coach)

Silver = $US 5,000

Bronze = $US 2,000

I'm guessing if Nico does well enough there that he's not gonna touch the cash, to preserve his lone year of eligibility. But does anybody know specifically what happens to the cash in those situations?  Can Casey Cunningham collect $2000 if Nico wins Gold but turns down his own $10000?

Edited by jtothep

Looks like Varner & Nico are competing in it too.

BssPMjBCcAA-kpw.jpg

Some nice payouts there for the pros & their coach:

Gold = $US 10,000 ($2000 for coach)

Silver = $US 5,000

Bronze = $US 2,000

I'm guessing if Nico does well enough there that he's not gonna touch the cash, to preserve his lone year of eligibility. But does anybody know specifically what happens to the cash in those situations?  Can Casey Cunningham collect $2000 if Nico wins Gold but turns down his own $10000?

didn't we run into this situation before? Iirc, they put it into a fund that isn't released until they graduate/use up their eligibility.. don't quote me on that, though.

"I'm guessing if Nico does well enough there that he's not gonna touch the cash, to preserve his lone year of eligibility. But does anybody know specifically what happens to the cash in those situations?  Can Casey Cunningham collect $2000 if Nico wins Gold but turns down his own $10000?"

What eligibility? HS and/or college? He signed that away some time ago. FILA doesn't seem to mind sponsorships or prize money.

"I'm guessing if Nico does well enough there that he's not gonna touch the cash, to preserve his lone year of eligibility. But does anybody know specifically what happens to the cash in those situations?  Can Casey Cunningham collect $2000 if Nico wins Gold but turns down his own $10000?"

What eligibility? HS and/or college? He signed that away some time ago. FILA doesn't seem to mind sponsorships or prize money.

Aaron Pico did indeed sign away his eligibility some time ago.  However, we are talking about NICO Megaludis, the PSU 125 lber.  He has one year of eligibility left.  I am assuming you misread Nico as Pico which is understandable considering how much time we spend talking about him.